WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

I reckon it’ll be Kraven, Venom and Green Goblin. Won’t go in to first game spoiler territory but it’ll be cool to see how they do Venom. Really hoping you get to do the GTA 5 switch between Peter and Miles and not just separate missions.

A bit apprehensive about GoW Ragnarok changing directors. I know it’s the tradition but the reboot felt like it was so personal I’d hate for it to feel like someone else’s take on the story. Then again I’d be lying if I said I had much idea about the job of a game director. Be interesting to see what Corey Barlog is up to instead.

If they haven’t already announced it I’m putting my money on Nolan North for Wolverine, that fucker plays everybody.

Could be, but Steve Blum has been voicing him in cartoons and games for pretty much the last 20 years, if not longer so it wouldn't surprise me if it was him. I wonder whether X23 will turn up a la Miles Morales in the Spidey games. Presumably Sabretooth will be involved. 

2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

My PS4 decided to kill itself this morning, it just keeps powering off. I've checked the fan and it's running and isn't clogged with dust or anything so I'm at a loss right now.

I'm blaming Bryan Alvarez because it first shut down watching him on YouTube.

It wasn't Bryan's fault.. but very likely the 9.00 update I installed last night.

I'm seeing so many issues with others having bricked consoles after installing it so be careful if you're an old PS4 owner.

• Paid Members

This upcoming system looks to have some potential.  If they manage to avoid going head to head with Sony and Microsoft they could fill the void that the Wii left. The controller looks to be a cool piece of kit. 

Argos have it listed at just under £250. Possibly just that little bit too expensive.  The Wii came out at under £200, right? 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, BigJag said:

they could fill the void that the Wii left

That void has been filled by Nintendo Switch. 

I can't see this doing well. The games look like the bargain ones you can already get for the Switch or on your mobile. And at that price as well, no chance.

There’s no void left by Wii is there? I feel like the Wii was a moment in time, absolutely everyone had one even Nan’s. It was a wonderful little novelty but when that wore off you were left with a shit control pad and a series of games ready for a jump to better hardware. Nintendo will undoubtedly come up with some mad shit again but it’s hard to see them ever reproduce the magic of the Wii.

3 hours ago, BigJag said:

This upcoming system looks to have some potential.  If they manage to avoid going head to head with Sony and Microsoft they could fill the void that the Wii left. The controller looks to be a cool piece of kit. 

Argos have it listed at just under £250. Possibly just that little bit too expensive.  The Wii came out at under £200, right? 

It's fucking shit and still doesn't work properly even though it was meant to be released over a year ago, the guy behind it is an utter prick too. There's more bad press surrounding this thing than any console I've seen before but this recent bit is a good start.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/06/what-the-hecks-an-intellivision-amico-consoles-leaky-dev-portal-offers-hints/

25 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

There’s no void left by Wii is there? I feel like the Wii was a moment in time, absolutely everyone had one even Nan’s. It was a wonderful little novelty but when that wore off you were left with a shit control pad and a series of games ready for a jump to better hardware. Nintendo will undoubtedly come up with some mad shit again but it’s hard to see them ever reproduce the magic of the Wii.

The Switch is outselling it.

Edited by Merzbow

13 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

It's fucking shit and still doesn't work properly even though it was meant to be released over a year ago, the guy behind it is an utter prick too. There's more bad press surrounding this thing than any console I've seen before but this recent bit is a good start.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/06/what-the-hecks-an-intellivision-amico-consoles-leaky-dev-portal-offers-hints/

The Switch is outselling it.

Oh in terms of sales the Wii will absolutely be outsold eventually but I meant in terms of a system catching on like the Wii did. Entire families playing together, Wii’s in pubs and waiting rooms, Nan’s bowling! The Switch picks up all the handheld market as well as being a home console (we have 4 in our house alone) so it has one up on the Wii in that respect.

I think the Switch has definitely cornered a market in a similar way to the Wii, maybe not the Grans but girls and young women who'd not normally buy a console, the Lite in particular has seen a big boost in those markets. I'd say a lot of that's down to the massive explosion in popularity that Animal Crossing has gotten, it's always been a decent seller but nothing on this level.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

Oh in terms of sales the Wii will absolutely be outsold eventually but I meant in terms of a system catching on like the Wii did. Entire families playing together, Wii’s in pubs and waiting rooms, Nan’s bowling! 

You're absolutely right. I think Nintendo have missed a trick by not trying to replicate some of that new-found market as they did with the Wii. I'm convinced a new Switch version of Wii Sports would be a huge success, and perhaps the same with a new version of Wii Fit.

14 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

You're absolutely right. I think Nintendo have missed a trick by not trying to replicate some of that new-found market as they did with the Wii. I'm convinced a new Switch version of Wii Sports would be a huge success, and perhaps the same with a new version of Wii Fit.

I think they thought 1-2-Switch would be this gens version of that, but it was shit.

• Paid Members

How's the multiplayer element working with the Switch? Can it recreate a similar experience to the Wii? A lot of gaming today seems to be a singular experience. Even with online play. It tends to be people playing in their own room. The group experience is lacking.

There was that R/C car Mario kart effort last year. Has anyone tried it?