WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I think they thought 1-2-Switch would be this gens version of that, but it was shit.

I'd say 1-2 Switch was more like Wii Play, but even then nowhere near as good. 

31 minutes ago, BigJag said:

How's the multiplayer element working with the Switch? Can it recreate a similar experience to the Wii? A lot of gaming today seems to be a singular experience. Even with online play. It tends to be people playing in their own room. The group experience is lacking.

Multiplayer on the Switch is good, it can definitely recreate (and better) what the Wii had as the joycons have motion controls. There's no nunchuck, but you use another Switch controller instead as they both have control sticks on them. Mario Party, Mario Kart and 51 Worldwide Games are favourites in our household. 

Finally, finally, finally BY GOD FINALLY got a PS5 on Friday.

The only game I picked up so far is Deathloop which I am really, really enjoying so far. I was worried it would be overly complicated and maybe even a bit repetitive as it initially seems confined to 4 stages. The way it works with the 4 different times of day per stage changes each area drastically though. Plus you are always opening up more and more parts of each area each time you return.

Looks amazing, the actual gameplay is very satisfying, the haptic feedback works so well and the voice acting is excellent. 

I can see me finishing it over the next few days and then I am going to attempt to tackle Demon's Souls. 

• Paid Members
On 9/19/2021 at 5:48 PM, Merzbow said:

I think the Switch has definitely cornered a market in a similar way to the Wii, maybe not the Grans but girls and young women who'd not normally buy a console, the Lite in particular has seen a big boost in those markets. I'd say a lot of that's down to the massive explosion in popularity that Animal Crossing has gotten, it's always been a decent seller but nothing on this level.

Animal Crossing releasing during lockdown was amazing luck for Nintendo. It did phenomenal numbers. 

3 hours ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Finally, finally, finally BY GOD FINALLY got a PS5 on Friday.

The only game I picked up so far is Deathloop which I am really, really enjoying so far. I was worried it would be overly complicated and maybe even a bit repetitive as it initially seems confined to 4 stages. The way it works with the 4 different times of day per stage changes each area drastically though. Plus you are always opening up more and more parts of each area each time you return.

Looks amazing, the actual gameplay is very satisfying, the haptic feedback works so well and the voice acting is excellent. 

I can see me finishing it over the next few days and then I am going to attempt to tackle Demon's Souls. 

I played up to my first encounter with an Eternal last night. Machete’d them in to tomorrow! Feels like I’ve finished the tutorial phase, I can’t wait to get back in and explore. Loving it so far.

16 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Just starting Lost Judgment because of course that was going to be my first purchase 😁

Where’d you get it? Still waiting on my pre order.

Edit: Just got an email to say mine has been dispatched.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Sorry to chip in. I got mine via the ASDA Direct website. I joined a Discord server that seemed to have people in the know where stock was dropping and when. I was gobsmacked when I got mine first go in March. Spent about four days thinking, “The money’s gone out of my account. The order’s been placed. It’s going to get cancelled any second now, though…” but nope, it turned up and a day earlier that estimated.

43 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Sorry to chip in. I got mine via the ASDA Direct website. I joined a Discord server that seemed to have people in the know where stock was dropping and when. I was gobsmacked when I got mine first go in March. Spent about four days thinking, “The money’s gone out of my account. The order’s been placed. It’s going to get cancelled any second now, though…” but nope, it turned up and a day earlier that estimated.

I got a PS5 on Release day, I was referring to Lost Judgment, sorry for any confusion.

I'm not always the biggest Kotaku fan but they've put together a brilliant timeline of the shitstorm that is the Intellivision Amico here.

Funnily enough new things have came out after this, they're putting up job applications for positions that should have been filled years ago. No way is it coming out in October in fully working order.

https://kotaku.com/the-new-gaming-console-thats-become-a-giant-car-crash-1847699027

On 9/22/2021 at 9:06 AM, TildeGuy~! said:

Edit: Just got an email to say mine has been dispatched.

Bought it digital. 

Edit.

Lost Judgment. 

Spoiler

Just discovered that it has a playable Master System with eight games. Alex Kidd being the only one unlocked from the start.

10/10 game of the year. 

Double edit wanker. 

A couple of hours in and though Lost Judgment has the usual story trappings (no doubt it'll quickly become convoluted as all fuck) the school bullying setup is a great change of pace for the Yakuza franchise.

Always surprises me just how consistent the series is without feeling stale. 

Edited by The King Of Swing

On 9/22/2021 at 5:22 PM, The King Of Swing said:

Bought it digital. 

Edit.

Lost Judgment. 

Reveal hidden contents

Just discovered that it has a playable Master System with eight games. Alex Kidd being the only one unlocked from the start.

10/10 game of the year. 

Was just coming on here to post that, I assume you buy them from Poppo or the Pawn shops I still haven’t found any more yet.

Currently on Chapter 4, don’t like the way the side missions come into play, there’s green icons on the map which usually mean they’re side missions but in this game you just listen to a conversation happen and then you search for a keyword on the Twitter app on your phone. 

I picked up Death Stranding: Directors Cut too, won’t be playing it till I get through Judgment though, finished it on PS4 when it first came out but it’s been a while so I thought I’d play through it again at some point.

34 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Was just coming on here to post that, I assume you buy them from Poppo or the Pawn shops I still haven’t found any more yet.

Currently on Chapter 4, don’t like the way the side missions come into play, there’s green icons on the map which usually mean they’re side missions but in this game you just listen to a conversation happen and then you search for a keyword on the Twitter app on your phone. 

Some of the MS games are DLC (there's eight in the base game I believe) but I definitely bought one at a store. 

I actually don't mind the new side quest system. Still think the combat is a step down from the old engine though (getting better though imo) and after coming to LJ from Yakuza Like a Dragon I'm even more convinced that the current engine was designed largely with eventually going to turn based combat in mind. 

Also since SEGA bought Atlus out it's becoming obvious that Atlus and RGG Studios are influencing each other to varying degrees imo. 

Makoto's story in Persona 5 involving the sleazy host exploiting her school mate for example could have been ripped from any Yakuza game where as the school setting in LJ has more than a whiff of Persona about it imo and the Like a Dragon combat has that fast paced Persona 5 feel about it though not quite as refined.

One worry I'm having though is that they seem to be pushing DLC more with each game which also happened with Persona and Shin Megami Tensei. 

Edit. 

Just started chapter 4 as well. 

Edited by The King Of Swing