WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

The Series S is a neat little console but I'm worried that it'll really start to fall behind far before the end of this generation. I think it's almost inevitable that third party developers will get sick of having to support a lower end console which in turn holds back what they can do on the Series X and PS5.

• Paid Members

240425502_1260416061060430_8767531102108 

Crash Bandicoot 2 Platinum. Now my rarest trophy with only 0.6% of players getting this one. The overall difficulty is far easier than Crash 1 but the time trials are still fucking brutal, There was one level called Hangin' Out which had me stuck for 7 hours! Without exaggeration, you had to get every timing completely perfect even to get the gold relic on that one. This game was so brutal that my thumb quite literally has a big purple bruise. I never thought I would be capable of doing it but that's me now got the Platinums for both Crash and Crash 2, Madness!

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I have a Series S, and while I definitely feel like it’s been a worthwhile purchase, I do wonder if I’ve missed a trick by not buying a Series X instead. I managed to get hold of a PS5, but truth be told, I rarely use it.

Same here. I have mainly been using Series S over PS5 and recommend it with the Gamepass. Probably would have got a Series X over PS5 now but think Series S is definitely worth it. 

Edited by Weezenal

2 hours ago, Weezenal said:

Same here. I have mainly been using Series S over PS5 and recommend it with the Gamepass. Probably would have got a Series X over PS5 now but think Series S is definitely worth it. 

I’m hoping that I won’t feel this way when Sony starts cranking out its exclusives. But there’s nothing on the horizon that I’m particularly interested in. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

I fucking loved Mercenaries back in the day. Especially the deck of 52.

The first one was great, a real blast to play at the time. I remember the follow up being a real let down though, which is a shame as I bet they could have done something really fun with it. 

How does it stand up now, has it aged OK? 

• Awards Moderator

I've been on a David Cage double bill. I like his stuff but he is an acquired taste - like Kojima, if you don't like his stuff you don't like his stuff. Cage likes hyper-realism, telegraphed player choice, unconventional controls schemes (you might uncharitably call them quick time events) and big, pretentious ideas. (Both of these have been on PS Plus at some point).

I started with Beyond Two Souls which is now 8 years old. You play an impressively mocapped Elliott Page through various stages of this girl's life, told in a non linear fashion. She has a poltergeist-esque entity with her that can interact with objects and you flit between the two personalities. The story is very affecting if heavy handed by the end but was a good story to play through.

I just finished Detroit Become Human which I enjoyed a lot. You are in a future where androids are appliances for doing chores, and you follow three androids who's stories of course align and mingle at some point. The most fun is reconstructing crime scenes or projecting how you won't faceplant off a roof using a sort-of Detective Mode. And then at the end of each chapter you get shown all the branches of the story you did and didn't take along with the percentage that the rest of the PSN world took. And there are some proper decisions to make too, which make me want to do it all over again to see how it plays out.

Not for everyone, but very well made.

Edited by Onyx2

27 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Apparently that 12 Minutes is very David Cage. It’s on Gamepass. I spoiled it for myself and holy shit that game goes places.

Oh, man. Better half loves puzzles/mental challenges in games. I hate them. It broke the both of us, sent us howling at the TV and we eventually just spoiled it for ourselves too. Hated it. 

That's a recommendation, by the way. If those games are in any way your thing, go check it out.