Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, The Four Horsemen said:

Jim Cornette's Drive Thru is up now on Spotify etc.

He is going to address everything thing on it including the UK situation.

Should be an interesting 1hr 10 min

It'll be an hour and ten minutes of non apology, and flinging abuse at some of the names on that list with a superior tone of voice and slightly "I told you so" when it comes to allegations of them being a wrong 'un. 

2 minutes ago, AVM said:

I suppose as a matter of fact it would be and it is very disturbing to read back, but what I'm at pains to empathise is that it never felt traumatic, not in the way that the brave girls and guys that have come out over the past few days. At the time it felt weird and embarrassing now I look back pretty stunned that the whole thing happened and weirded out at it. I've mentioned it on here before, and most of my pals who I go to wrestling with have heard it, including my best pal who saw it happen, so this isn't a great coming out or anything. I think even Ricky himself has acknowledged a post I put out, but the tone was a lot more jokey and in his defence he might have thought it was a messed up attempt at humour. 

I would love to know if Saraya remembers it or is aware because nearly twenty years on, it's pretty fucked.

Don't downplay this, or let anyone else downplay it, especially if they were indirectly involved. If a situation like this ever seems to have a grey area, flip the genders and see how it makes you feel. 40 year old MALE wrestler kisses 10 year old GIRL against her will.

11 minutes ago, AVM said:

I suppose as a matter of fact it would be and it is very disturbing to read back, but what I'm at pains to empathise is that it never felt traumatic, not in the way that the brave girls and guys that have come out over the past few days. At the time it felt weird and embarrassing now I look back pretty stunned that the whole thing happened and weirded out at it. I've mentioned it on here before, and most of my pals who I go to wrestling with have heard it, including my best pal who saw it happen, so this isn't a great coming out or anything. I think even Ricky himself has acknowledged a post I put out, but the tone was a lot more jokey and in his defence he might have thought it was a messed up attempt at humour. 

I would love to know if Saraya remembers it or is aware because nearly twenty years on, it's pretty fucked.

You don't know it didn't have an effect on you or any changes to how you approach things, it may not give you nightmares but it could have made a difference. Even if it didn't, that sort of thing could have to another person. 

8 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

You don't know it didn't have an effect on you or any changes to how you approach things, it may not give you nightmares but it could have made a difference. Even if it didn't, that sort of thing could have to another person. 

It may actually have done for all we know.

I've had a few experiences of Saraya back in my working days. None of them were good. I'm not surprised in the least that all of these bullying and abuse stories have come out about her. Sticking her tongue down a 10 year olds throat though. She can get to fuck even more. I hope she suffers the ramifications for all of this.

Nonce.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It'll be an hour and ten minutes of non apology, and flinging abuse at some of the names on that list with a superior tone of voice and slightly "I told you so" when it comes to allegations of them being a wrong 'un. 

Yep. It'll be bypassing half of it, disavowing half of it as "just wrestling", but painting Joey Ryan specifically as the devil.

More importantly, fuck the old cunt for monetising this in the first place.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I'll bust my black BWC armband out and get on the blower to..... 

..... Never mind

Thing is mate, i've been thinking about this a lot of the past couple of days, and whilst that particular slant on regulation was flawed and fuelled by self interest, it's not that bad an idea in principle. 

I'm so relieved to log on here to see talk of regulation, governing bodies etc, and I appreciate those things seem a million miles away, implausible perhaps at the present time, but that's exactly why they are so bloody necessary.  Every performer whose pledged to 'do better', every promoter who's changed up their management team who could have contained women anyway for all we know because we didnt know who the fuck they were in the first place, it's all bollocks, because there's no wider accountability or industry wide standard to adhere to.

As long as your pockets are deep enough, you can run a pro wrestling show.  That is fucking madness given the physical risk to performers, and especially given what we now know (if you didn't already) to be an alarmingly frequent toxicity behind the scenes.

I'm banging on the door at the moment, hoping someone will let me in to be part of these conversations.  There's been fuck all take up, which suggests as is rightly pointed out, that people are trying to deal with this in house, or on a case by case basis.  That'll achieve fuck all, and in a fortnight, especially now that victims have been advised to share information with the police, rather than go public and fuel the monentum of #speakingout, this'll be forgotten about within a fortnight.

There's such a small window of opportunity here to make significant change, but as ever with wrestling, it's all happening 'behind closed doors'.

1 hour ago, LWOLeN said:

Punching your fans to sell your ‘tough guy persona’. I really hope that isn’t true.

If it is, than Jimmy Havoc is the biggest joke on the planet. Ridiculous. Biggest loser ever. Completely lost himself in being a mark for himself.

Wake up, ‘Jimmy Havoc’ does not really exist! You are in that ring to entertain the fans. They travelled hours and paid their hard earned money to see you wrestle. You should feel honored that they like you and want to shake your hand.

Progress Wrestling should be ashamed for not acting on this directly and brushing it off as ‘he’s and independent contracter’. They really dropped the ball here.

Progress knew perfectly well he wasn't protecting his character, they're not that bloody stupid.  They just didn't want to acknowledge that their top star is a violent thug,  But, saying, he may have been protecting his character, like that somehow makes it OK.   Piss poor.  I wish the guy it happened to had gone public with it at the time.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, AVM said:

I've now shared this on Twitter. Thanks for the encouragement. I was going to keep quiet but seeing the other allegations has made me quite angry TBH.  

Good for you. It's not an easy thing to do, and also is a really good example of how easy it is to think 'well, what happened to me is weird, but it wasn't as bad', until other people hear about it.