Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

Just turned up for my first vaccination and all the signs for the center are covered in anti lockdown and anti vaccine graffiti which they clearly stated cleaning before deciding it's quicker to "pass cook bartridge" it 

• Paid Members

Sorry to be deathly dull but anyone with up to date knowledge about travel help me out? I’ve been trying to find covid rules for Belgium based on driving through between France and Germany in August (I understand rules change 1st July) but going through the websites there seems to be contradiction between “you don’t need a test or passenger info form if you’re here less than 48 hours” and “if you’re coming from the UK you need to quarantine for 7 days.” I did find a number from the Corona site (.be suffix) for dialling from outside Belgium but the options were press 1 for Dutch and 2 for French.

Anyone know anything, even a good phone number to call?

Travelling into Germany from the UK currently comes with a 14 day quarantine as the UK is currently listed as a high-risk variant zone by them, so that's not likely to change any time soon. I'd assume you'll find similar rules all over the EU. Nobody wants you.

Edited by King Coconut

My wife is a doctor and was chatting to one of the health cares at work today. The health care mentioned that her mum was waiting on test results as she has all the symptoms of the new variant. 

The health went on to mention that she lived with her mum, my wife told her she should be isolating then until the results returned. The health care was told infection control she could keep working until the result was back. 

No wonder we are doing so badly when even the hospitals haven't got a clue how to follow the rules. 

5 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

My wife is a doctor and was chatting to one of the health cares at work today. The health care mentioned that her mum was waiting on test results as she has all the symptoms of the new variant. 

The health went on to mention that she lived with her mum, my wife told her she should be isolating then until the results returned. The health care was told infection control she could keep working until the result was back. 

No wonder we are doing so badly when even the hospitals haven't got a clue how to follow the rules. 

Yeah that sounds like a complete mess.

I'm struggling with the 'new' symptoms they keep mentioning, which sound more and more like a common cold that it's bloody difficult to differentiate between the shit we usually catch from the kids at school/nursery and what might be 'new' Covid symptoms. I honestly have no idea anymore.

• Paid Members

The official advice on what should trigger self-isolation/getting a test is still just fever/new continuous cough/loss of taste or smell: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/symptoms/main-symptoms/

Chances are that even if they do believe headache/runny nose is a genuine/meaningful symptom, they know it's completely useless to make it a threshold for doing anything.

• Paid Members

coming up with an even more generic list of possible symptoms that basically just match hayfever/the common cold right at the same time as delaying reopening by another month is really playing into the hands of the right wing Covid deniers who believe that it's just a glorified flu and that lockdown is about government control. I'm seeing more and more people who wouldn't ordinarily be anywhere near that side of the political spectrum sharing tweets and memes and Facebook posts about how "it was just for two weeks, then just to flatten the curve, then just for Christmas, then just til June, then just another four weeks..."

The general mood around this last delay, even if it's not the most significant delay or change we've experienced, seems to be much more pessimistic. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Chest Rockwell said:

Are the.covid deniers exclusively right wing? That's not been my experience.

I am with you. Sure, I have seen more right wingers whinging loudly, but it goes across the spectrum in my experience.

My guess is people will just begin to go back to more normal times and we will either see huge spike in cases or the vaccine has done a good enough job in keeping people out of hospital and the goverment will spin it as a win or we told you so depending on which happens. and people will vote them back in again.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Are the.covid deniers exclusively right wing? That's not been my experience.

No, but I think the nature of how that denial manifests itself is different. The specific stuff I've seen this morning that led to my post was people sharing Tweets from full-blown right wingers about lockdown as an infringement of our rights and freedom and whatnot. 

I definitely see more of that side of things from the right, and probably more of the conspiracy theories intersect with right wing beliefs - though a lot of the "5G" and anti-vaccine nonsense has a big crossover with a lot of lefty middle class hippy types, in my experience.