Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

In all seriousness, where CAN you buy disposable gloves or hand sanitiser?  A week ago I went looking in shops and it was all sold out, but it's 7 days later and there's still nothing in.  Surely the panic buyers can hardly get into their houses now for all the bottles of sanitiser they've stocked up on?

I think I should send the aged parents some disposable gloves as they won't have any.

• Paid Members

There's real concern about PPE and hand sanitiser stock levels not being sustainable in the health service, nevermind for the general public. Gloves, masks, gowns, visors, soap and sanitiser are all getting worryingly low already within the Health Trust that I work in. 

1 hour ago, CavemanLynn said:

On another note, I did see a tip the other day that appears to make sense, recommending buying vouchers for shops and businesses to redeem later. It's touted as a way of ensuring some money keeps flowing to those smaller businesses likely to be worse hit,and it definitely makes sense in my non-economics-savvy mind.

I think the only safe gift card you can get now would be for supermarkets. Everything else is risky. 

In other news - I've noticed that petrol prices has dropped quite a bit over the last week, not sure whether that's to entice people to buy other things or them knowing people are working from home/in isolation. I'll take it though! 

1 hour ago, Loki said:

In all seriousness, where CAN you buy disposable gloves or hand sanitiser?  A week ago I went looking in shops and it was all sold out, but it's 7 days later and there's still nothing in.  Surely the panic buyers can hardly get into their houses now for all the bottles of sanitiser they've stocked up on?

I think I should send the aged parents some disposable gloves as they won't have any.

I got disposable gloves on Amazon last week. 8 quid for a box of 100. I work for the probation service and we'd usually have lots knocking about the office due to working with folk who wouldn't be the most hygienic in general, but they all were nicked over last few weeks.

I haven't seen hand sanitiser anywhere, cunts on ebay are flogging the little pocket sized bottles you used to get in aldi (for around a euro here) for a fiver a bottle. Some chemists are apparently making their own bottles of it up, you have to ask for it though.

Edited by DCW

1 hour ago, WeeAl said:

There's real concern about PPE and hand sanitiser stock levels not being sustainable in the health service, nevermind for the general public. Gloves, masks, gowns, visors, soap and sanitiser are all getting worryingly low already within the Health Trust that I work in. 

Same where I am. We have prepared meticulously but all it takes is a shortage. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Loki said:

Im in care and ended up having to get my mrs to go to her hairdressers whole sale to try and get gloves .... nothing....Hand sanitiser is almost impossible to find. 

Sadly it’s available on eBay at inflated prices. 

Sent my mum 2 packs of dettol wipes to wash her hands if she goes out to the shops. It’s not going to do her skin massive favours but I felt the need to do something 

Edited by quote the raven

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Briefcase said:

In other news - I've noticed that petrol prices has dropped quite a bit over the last week, not sure whether that's to entice people to buy other things or them knowing people are working from home/in isolation. I'll take it though! 

That'll be because of the Saudi/Russia oil price war currently taking place, not Corona related. 

On 3/13/2020 at 8:54 PM, SaitoRyo said:

I live in a small village in the Czech Republic... 

I went to the nearest Lidl yesterday and everything was normal. Seemed a little busier than normal but the shelves were full and nobody sparked anyone else out over toilet roll. 

Same in Germany. We British are a very special breed indeed.