Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Cheers bud, I’ve still got the VHS of it that I recorded off the telly. I’ve also another of the build up that seemed to start at half eight with “Breakfast with the teams”. 

Proper cup final build up. Not the shitty metrosexual hour you get these days. 

Rewatching old Saint & Greavsie on YouTube and they have the build up to the 88 cup final, and I'll be honest I completely forgot about the Celebrity match that was played before hand. The team captains are Jimmy Tarbuck and David Frost! It's not a bad game either, although Rick Wakeman is absolute dogshit.

Completely blanked out the sprint final that they used to have with players as well, before the Rumbelows (or whatever it was that year) final.

2 hours ago, Polish Dad said:

I switched careers last month, moving from working in events to now working as a video producer for an American games company and bloody hell what perfect timing that was to getting out.

Every event we'd been working on for the next six months has been cancelled, and I can't see a way that doesn't lead to redundancies as the company had been on the tightest of margins to begin with

Welcomed to video games!  Also welcome to hell.

@Keith Houchen keep yourself safe mate.  I can rustle up some download codes for rando games if you get bored.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Completely blanked out the sprint final that they used to have with players as well, before the Rumbelows (or whatever it was that year) final.

Only remember that happening once. Leigh Jenkinson made the final so we were all interested. He finished well down. Did John Williams win it? The flying postman or something I think he was known as.

5 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Only remember that happening once. Leigh Jenkinson made the final so we were all interested. He finished well down. Did John Williams win it? The flying postman or something I think he was known as.

Good memory! In my mind, it was featured more than once, but looking into it, was indeed a one and done. Best stop before Chest comes after me

• Paid Members

So I've now lost my job because of this fucking virus. I'm an English teacher in Spain and we had a meeting planned to give us information about the Cambridge exams. It then turned into a meeting to inform us that we were all being laid off. The academy is closing. There is a small chance they will open after Easter if this blows over fast but by far the most realistic scenario is they will be closed until September. So we are now all unemployed. I've only been here a month, uprooted my life and now it looks like I have no option to go home again. I'm going to give it till Easter in the small hope I can go back to work but after that I'll have no choice but to head back to Scotland. 

Shit is really hitting the fan here. From Monday morning we are on lockdown like Italy. Nobody is allowed outside apart from to buy food, medicine or some essential jobs. I have been told by my Director at the academy from a reliable source that the army will be on the streets next week to keep order. It's a fucking mental, surreal situation that feels straight out of some post-apocalyptic film. The city I live in is dead - the Plaza Mayor, usually full of friends, family, lovers and dogs on a Saturday afternoon is deserted. I'm not looking forward to having to stay inside for the forseeable future. All this and still Scotland refuses to take it very seriously....

We live in interesting times but fuck the Coronavirus. 

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest

59 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

All this and still Scotland refuses to take it very seriously....

I don't quite get this clamour from some people, and primarily the media, to begin locking everyone indoors and enforcing martial fucking law. As if the media haven't got every bastard whipped up into enough of a frenzy as it is. Can you imagine what would happen if we went down the route that Italy have? We're already seeing shortages of food in shops due to people panick-buying, which is fine if you have cash to spend. 

What about the poor sods who live wage to wage? If this continues we'll see people having to go without, which is worse than the virus itself!

The number of deaths worldwide from this thing are just a shade over what Motherwell get attendance-wise for a home game. The actual figures that I've seen from health websites, and not from fucking Facebook, don't warrant a nationwide lockdown. 

92% of cases are considered "mild condition" while 8% are considered "serious."

93% of people who have had this thing have fully recovered. 

I'm not saying this coronavirus is a joke, or that it's "not worse than the flu," it is a concern, and we need to take steps to combat it. Washing your hands, staying home if you're feeling ill, not coughing all over people, all of that makes sense.

National lockdowns? Army in the streets? Why the fuck would we need the army in the streets? Next thing you'll be wanting anyone who coughs rounded up and driven away to an undisclosed fucking location.

People need to calm the fuck down.

As a semi hypochondriac, overly empathic little snowflake with years and years of generalised anxiety issues, this has been doing my nut in despite the relatively non existent physical threat such a virus poses to my twenty nine year old bag of bones.  I've been going around as a vociferous enough part of the "This will all blow over in a few weeks and we'll be laughing" brigade more to convince myself than anyone else, so it's been a tough bit of realisation for me over the past few days that we're living in a changed world of the sort that's going to be a little tougher and a little darker for a wee bit. 

It's ultimately better now, though, that a clearer image is emerging of where we're all likely to stand with this thing until at least the summer. And I get David's point about the hard data on this thing, too. But in a weird way it's only part of the picture at this point. Regardless of how much of it is the actual threat and how much of it is the perceived threat, the shift has already happened and we're living in the first forty minutes of a Netflix film about a modern day pandemic spread.

I'm thankful for how connected we all are, and appreciative more than ever of the kind of escapism you can get through music, books, entertainment.

Until the grid goes down, of course, at which point the books are subject to being kindle. There's some lazy irony in that, I'm sure. 

89652945_1250376268490529_51780420484181

That was a bit heavy. Here's some Covid-19 meme tax. Best one I've seen today. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

3 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

And I get David's point about the hard data on this thing, too. But in a weird way it's only part of the picture at this point.

The figures, and the actual virus itself are only part of the picture at this point. The greater threat comes from how humans are dealing with this. 

I'm not worried about walking the streets and catching the coronavirus, I'm more worried about walking the street in a few months time when there's desperate individuals who have lost jobs due to businesses closing, people who have little or no money, people who can't get access to certain food or sanitary products due to fuckwits stockpiling everything.

These lockdowns some people seem to want will result in businesses going under, people losing jobs, and ultimately becoming desperate. That's the threat here, not the virus.

Fuck social media and the internet. It causes more problems than anything else.

Edited by David

7 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Has anybody here actually got it? I'm assuming not because we're wrestling fans and nobody should want to go near us anyway.

I've had a dodgy throat the last few days but no other symptoms but I'm playing it safe and going even less places than usual. My daughter's not helping by going through another 'pretending to cough' phase.

My friends Father in Law passed away overnight because of Coronavirus. 

A few others are self isolating.

i'm okay, my immune system is shot though