Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

8 minutes ago, Loki said:

Just got back from a shop.  Waitrose have plenty of bog roll, but are alarmingly completely out of wholemeal spelt pasta.

On 3/8/2020 at 4:05 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Just when I thought not calling this the Coronavirus thread was as middle class this could get. 

I'm our department's Business Continuity co-ordinator (in addition to the day job) so I've been in charge with drafting up contingency plans over the last fortnight. Today my department head has put me forward as our dept's commander on the company-wide incident team which means I'm now responsible for all comms and implementation of contingencies for 150 people. In addition to the day job. I expect the next couple of months to very much suck, I already work 50+ hour weeks as it is so this will probably push me up to 60+. On the plus side, overtime at time and a half does wonder for the savings (even though it looks like our vacation planned for the start of June is in jeopardy), and it'll be great on my CV for future development. If I survive.

I live in a small village in the Czech Republic and work remotely. Business as usual for me at the moment, although a planned trip to the UK in a few weeks is obviously not happening anymore. 

State of Emergency here with no travel in or out of the country for at least thirty days. 

I went to the nearest Lidl yesterday and everything was normal. Seemed a little busier than normal but the shelves were full and nobody sparked anyone else out over toilet roll. 

Decided I'm not going to go anywhere this weekend and will make use of the PS4 that I use for netflix by getting a game, which I assume you can buy via download these days. Would quite like a football game to make up for lack of real matches this weekend. Any recs for current Fifa vs Pro Evo? I used to be a strictly Pro Evo man but the last one I played was the Euro 2016 one and I found it shite.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Bicurious Dad said:

I'm our department's Business Continuity co-ordinator (in addition to the day job) so I've been in charge with drafting up contingency plans over the last fortnight. Today my department head has put me forward as our dept's commander on the company-wide incident team which means I'm now responsible for all comms and implementation of contingencies for 150 people. In addition to the day job. I expect the next couple of months to very much suck, I already work 50+ hour weeks as it is so this will probably push me up to 60+. On the plus side, overtime at time and a half does wonder for the savings (even though it looks like our vacation planned for the start of June is in jeopardy), and it'll be great on my CV for future development. If I survive.

I sit on the Buisness Contigency team within my work. You obviously have way more responsibility than I do but I have been given areas to lead on. One of my recommendations was to secure hot spot assets for a 3rd of the team for a reason I won't bore you with.

My usually(rightfully) stringent boss 20 minutes after my recommendation signed it off for everyone to be sure. £29k just like that without a 2nd thought. That might not seem like a lot but it is the NHS.

Really highlighted to me just how seriously this is being viewed. 

Edited by ElCece

We're an essential service but pale in comparison to the NHS  - my department is non-essential in times like this but highly reputational so a lot of the issues will be complaint drive around timescales. I'd like to say our customer base will be understanding if service levels dip while the business supports core functions but sadly I almost guarantee that won't be the case.