Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

1 hour ago, Astro Hollywood said:

With so many movies getting shunted (especially now they rely on all box office from China), I wonder what effect it'll have on the business? Fast & Furious 9's been pushed back an entire year, and pretty much every major release is going to follow suit. The studio must've been banking on a billion dollars coming in off that, but if every big film gets delayed, it's gonna be an empty summer for the big studios, having pumped billions into stuff that won't be giving a return for the forseeable future. Production's gonna be shut down too, so if it goes on for a while, it might be a weird couple of years, with 2021's slate mostly made up of delayed 2020 films and fuck all else shot in the meantime. It'll be the same for TV in terms of nothing new getting made. Look at the damage the writers strike did in 2008 with shortened seasons and stuff getting cancelled as a result. That only lasted 14 weeks. Once the filming shedules start getting fucked up, people's run contracts out, availability will be up in the air, and a ton of movies and shows will end up getting canned.

Yeah it's a bit worrying.  I had work lining up for the spring/summer and that's all up in the air now. I'll fall back onto games work but as far as linear is concerned nobody really knows what's happening.  Pinewood/Shepperton both have full lots right now but I suspect those productions will get mothballed in the next few weeks.

Working in the health sector people really don't seem to get how it is impacting NHS professionals. It's a massive undertaking and the fact is we are likely to spread it to family inadvertently. My wife is pregnant (38 weeks) and if I get it I won't be allowed in the labour suite. Its shit all round.. 

Personally I think the NHS is doing a fine job given the level off pressure and lack of resources (nurses and doctors aren't magically appearing) and the NHS is estimating up to 75% of staff may get it. There is little home working for nurses and doctors who are in the firing line for the virus. Johnson and Co seem to have been very slow w the steps to limit incoming flights, cancelling big events etc. It's almost like they aren't that bothered. When Jeremy Hunt is saying he is surprised at the slow response something is wrong! (I hate the bloke). 

They now est. 10,000 people may have it unconfirmed. Give it a week and that'll jump massively. 

Stay well all. 

31 minutes ago, DCW said:

My missus has been put on a 4 day week and the hotel group she works for had to lay off lots of housekeeping staff, porters and wait staff cos the trade isn't there, and likely won't be for the next few months at the very least.

Scary times, not helped by the general public being absolute bellends over here and panic buying fucking everything in supermarkets. I nipped into local Aldi for a frozen pizza on the way home from work and shelves and freezers were bare. Security guard I was talking to said there were fights cos people were knicking bog roll from other people's trolleys.

I'm astounded at how stupid people are being about it. Standard precautions like washing hands is much more effective than buying up bog roll like you have the ebola turds. If you need 37945130837 rolls of toilet paper, covid19 is the least of your problems. 

I saw someone screaming at staff in Tesco today because he wasn't allowed to buy four packs of paracetamol. The world is a crazy place!

I also heard some fuckin idiot say the words "my missus told me to self isolate. I coughed in her face and told her to jog on" as he spluttered whilst I was eating dinner out. Morons. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Monkee said:

Decision literally just came through.

Eh? BBC reported it as cancelled hours ago. It was sometime during the afternoon as I sent the link to my friend (whose partner works for Mercedes F1) while I was at work. 

• Awards Moderator

Why toilet roll? Is there a particular Covid reason why everyone’s so desperate to have it, or is it just because they’ve seen that everyone’s desperate to have it and think they have to as well?

There’s been no advice as far as I know on U.K. museums, heritage sites, tourist attractions, theme parks etc. Working in that sector, we’re supposed to open for the tourist season in 2 weeks’ time. We already know a lot of international visitors and coach groups will be cancelling but I wonder when our country follows suit with Austria, the Netherlands, USA etc and closes them all.

5 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Why toilet roll? Is there a particular Covid reason why everyone’s so desperate to have it, or is it just because they’ve seen that everyone’s desperate to have it and think they have to as well?

I think it's just because they've taken "self isolate" to the extreme.

"If I ain't allowed out, I'll need enough shit roll to wipe my arse. 300 rolls should last me 2 weeks indoors."

1 hour ago, scratchdj said:

Universal Orlando is also closing until at least the end the month.

I’d be very surprised if the Premier League isn’t halted.

I could just as easily see them playing in front of no fans and halting press conferences, while viewing that as the appropriate steps to take. They might cancel the odd game based on player wellness, but I’m not convinced they’ll go as far as to scrap or postpone all matches.

• Paid Members

They'll suspend the season. The pressure will be too great not to. It won't do much, honestly. This thing will spread through pubs, bars, restaurants, public transport, etc. But they'll need to be seen to do something and if it takes pressure off public services, then it's probably right. Football isn't important in the grand scheme of things.

Suspension of the season will surely be announced today

Now that a Player and Manager have been positively diagnosed that's it

Just cancelling Arsenal and Chelsea games for 2 weeks will just lead to a backlog of games (I'm sure other teams will be affected as well over the  coming days with Leicester and Man City already having players in isolation) which could lead to some teams having 4-5 games in hand later on in the season and the whole integrity of the competition will be in question.

Best course of action is to suspended everything now and restart when it is safer to do so.