Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

5 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Tom Hanks has the coronavirus šŸ˜§

Reports say he's currently self-isolating on an island with only a volleyball for company.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

The best feature in Teams is that you can reply in the group chat with memes.

When we had our training session on it at work, it devolved into people sending each other memes and gifs within five minutes.

Ā 

We've been using Teams for a couple of years now, as an institution, but inĀ completelyĀ the wrong way. They're basically using it as a filing system to replace our network drive, and as a place to store info for students to replace their VLE, and it's not designed to be either of those. Seeing people using itĀ properlyĀ now - i.e., for remote meetings and document sharing - gives me a small sense of hope that my workĀ mightĀ actually begin to use it properly too, but I doubt it, and it would be a sad state of affairs if a global pandemic is what it took to sort out the infrastructure in this place.

• Awards Moderator

A Chinese doctor has been live tweeting his symptoms since being diagnosed. My youngest has been a bit fearful of the virus given playground chatter, and this has been very comforting to her. He's describing what we all know, it's a rough bit of flu with cold, cough, aches, diarrhoea etc.

Ā 

He's on Day 4.

• Moderators

The Tom Hanks diagnosis has me a bit spooked, not because its Tom Hanks, but because he said "We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches", which sounds just like any of the normal colds that have been going around and around my area.

My company, in Boston USA, has us all working from home for the next couple of weeks. The thoughts starting to creep in my head are "what if I already have it?".

13 minutes ago, neil said:

My company, in Boston USA, has us all working from home for the next couple of weeks. The thoughts starting to creep in my head are "what if I already have it?"

Don't suppose you can convince them to let you fly back to the UK for a few weeks, can you? If the shit hits the fan having access to a health care system that doesn't cost thousands of dollars would maybe be an option.

1 hour ago, neil said:

The Tom Hanks diagnosis has me a bit spooked, not because its Tom Hanks, but because he said "We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches", which sounds just like any of the normal colds that have been going around and around my area.

My company, in Boston USA, has us all working from home for the next couple of weeks. The thoughts starting to creep in my head are "what if I already have it?".

I've had my "cold" for 10 days now, with no sign of it getting better yet. This is the worst and longest cold I've ever had.Ā 

There's a couple of key symptoms that I'm not showing, so I'm still convinced I've not got it. I don't have a fever and I'm not short of breath. I am absolutely exhausted though, and my head feels like it's going to explode.

6 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

I've had my "cold" for 10 days now, with no sign of it getting better yet. This is the worst and longest cold I've ever had.Ā 

There's a couple of key symptoms that I'm not showing, so I'm still convinced I've not got it. I don't have a fever and I'm not short of breath. I am absolutely exhausted though, and my head feels like it's going to explode.

The doctor in Onyx's post isn't short of breath either. Won't hurt to call whatever the appropriate health line is and get some trained advice.

• Members

I've had a sore throat all week that I am certain is nothing more than that, but it's been so sore since yesterday I'm wondering if it's an infection. So I rangĀ  111 and gave up after 45 minutes on hold. Tried my GPs for a nurse consultation. Nothing for days. I went to my pharmacy and asked if the pharmacist could see me. So out she comes and we stand outsideĀ the private consultation room and she asks what's wrong. I quietly say I've got a sore throat and ask if she can take a look if it's infected. Still without taking me into the room, she declares loud and proud she absolutely cannot look at my throat and asks if I have any other symptoms while an old woman nearby looks at me in disgust and covers her mouth with her coat and another customer looks horrified and leaves the shop. Anyway, she sent me off with some strong lozenges that seems to be doing the trick and that old bag can spend the afternoon telling everyone how she's been exposed to Coronyvirus.