Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

It's really taking it out of me. I'm so tired I could easily fall asleep at my desk.

I've not got a headache as such. It's more of a pressure over my cranium (or "brain helmet") which is obviously sinus related.

It's like a combination of jet lag and a bad hangover. And it can just fuck off, quite frankly.

Great, but nothing tops this

bonemech.jpg

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

Any decision he announces will be made by a whole squad of political advisors and medical experts. I know that doesn't sit well with the whole "we need to hate Boris, he's a knob" crowd, but that's how it is.

I'm not saying it because we need to hate Boris, but Boris is very much in the Trump school of listening to advisors.

The two medical guys Whitty and Vallance were very good in that in explaining everything. They laid out why shutting things wouldn't work at this time. Closing schools could actually worsen it.

They want the peak to be spread ease the burden. If they shut everything down now, people being people, would be fuckwits and start kicking up in 2-3 weeks when it'll be at its height.

5-10k have it already they reckon, and it will be 80% to have it. The good thing is the contain phase seems to have slowed this down. we're about 4 weeks behind Italy and that's been important in gathering information like the 7 day isolation period rather than 14. 

All in all, if you feel shit, stay the fuck home.

1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I'm not saying it because we need to hate Boris, but Boris is very much in the Trump school of listening to advisors.

Well, you best put Nicola Sturgeon into that group as well. She's not closing schools or restricting movement either. Yet, she isn't getting the same grief in Scotland.

I understand that people are worried about this virus, and I'm all for taking it seriously. I'm personally trying to avoid public transport where possible, I've just about washed the fingerprints clean off my hands, and I'm diligently carrying packs of hankies for any time I feel the urge to sneeze or cough.

But people need to calm the fuck down. It's the kneejerk overreaction that's contributing to people clearing shelves in supermarkets, which could be more problematic than people getting sick. 

I'm no fan of Boris Johnson, but he's probably one of the few world leaders who's approaching this in a half-decent manner. He's striking that fine balance between taking the circumstances seriously enough while not creating panic, and doing a Trump and pretending everything is fine and this is just a flu virus that the liberals are crying over.

I think the UK is handling this whole carry-on quite well at the moment. Are they perfect? Fuck no, but no one is. How can you be with something like this?

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, David said:

Well, you best put Nicola Sturgeon into that group as well. She's not closing schools or restricting movement either

I've got no problem putting we Jimmy Krankie in that group. She is equally as power crazed as Trump is. 

Just now, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I've got no problem putting we Jimmy Krankie in that group. She is equally as power crazed as Trump is. 

Well, this statement from you tells me that you're best sticking to the boxing thread, chief. 

21 minutes ago, David said:

Well, you best put Nicola Sturgeon into that group as well. She's not closing schools or restricting movement either. Yet, she isn't getting the same grief in Scotland.

I understand that people are worried about this virus, and I'm all for taking it seriously. I'm personally trying to avoid public transport where possible, I've just about washed the fingerprints clean off my hands, and I'm diligently carrying packs of hankies for any time I feel the urge to sneeze or cough.

But people need to calm the fuck down. It's the kneejerk overreaction that's contributing to people clearing shelves in supermarkets, which could be more problematic than people getting sick. 

I'm no fan of Boris Johnson, but he's probably one of the few world leaders who's approaching this in a half-decent manner. He's striking that fine balance between taking the circumstances seriously enough while not creating panic, and doing a Trump and pretending everything is fine and this is just a flu virus that the liberals are crying over.

I think the UK is handling this whole carry-on quite well at the moment. Are they perfect? Fuck no, but no one is. How can you be with something like this?

I agree with parts of what you say, but I do think it’s completely acceptable to ask questions about this, particularly since it’s such a stark contrast to what others are doing, and since the World Health Organisation has had ample opportunity to say positive things about it when asked by journalists, but has not.

Frankly, none of us are experts but it seems prudent to question what they’re doing.