Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Steve Justice said:

I've had my "cold" for 10 days now, with no sign of it getting better yet. This is the worst and longest cold I've ever had. 

There's a couple of key symptoms that I'm not showing, so I'm still convinced I've not got it. I don't have a fever and I'm not short of breath. I am absolutely exhausted though, and my head feels like it's going to explode.

All my family and I have had a strain of cold that's nothing like anything we'd had before - the headaches, etc. all passed quickly, but the cough/phlegm stuck around for absolutely fucking ages and would not fuck off for weeks. My parents still have it.

• Paid Members

One of my staff has flu symptons. He worked from home yesterday but today can't work so is taking it as sick.

He called 111, they won't test him because he hasn't been to China, Italy etc over the past 14 days and hasn't - to his knowledge - been near somebody that is confirmed as having Coronavirus. How the hell is he going to know if he's been near anyone that has it?? He commutes into London everyday, standing up on a train full of people. I get that there are people being a bit paranoid and wanting a test after having a sniffle, but I'd imagine there are SO many more people out there with it and haven't been tested.

Ireland have closed schools and childcare centres until end of March. I fully expect Boris to stumble outside of 10 Downing Street telling everyone to 'keep calm and carry on'.

Reports in France claim UEFA will postpone the Euros until next summer. Well, at least our strikers might have recovered by then...

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

One of my staff has flu symptons. He worked from home yesterday but today can't work so is taking it as sick.

He called 111, they won't test him because he hasn't been to China, Italy etc over the past 14 days and hasn't - to his knowledge - been near somebody that is confirmed as having Coronavirus. How the hell is he going to know if he's been near anyone that has it?? He commutes into London everyday, standing up on a train full of people. I get that there are people being a bit paranoid and wanting a test after having a sniffle, but I'd imagine there are SO many more people out there with it and haven't been tested.

Ireland have closed schools and childcare centres until end of March. I fully expect Boris to stumble outside of 10 Downing Street telling everyone to 'keep calm and carry on'.

Reports in France claim UEFA will postpone the Euros until next summer. Well, at least our strikers might have recovered by then...

I've referred to it as Johnson trying to thin the herd. I can't afford to self isolate for 2 weeks, and can't work from home, so I'm just going to have to roll the dice and hope for the best. 

Still, think of all the extra money to be made by people travelling from mainland Europe through the UK to fly to America for the next 30 days. 

16 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

If that's what the more qualified medical professionals advising him tell him to, then he will. 

• Paid Members

Depending on the outcome of Bojo's meeting today I hope it doesn't lead to mass panic tonight. I appreciate there's a global health crisis, but do they not appreciate that tonight is my big supermarket shopping spree for the month? If it's full of running around like lunatics and panic buying I think I'd rather starve. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, David said:

If that's what the more qualified medical professionals advising him tell him to, then he will. 

All world leaders do exactly what the professionals tell them do they Davey Boy? He will do what is politically expedient for him, like he always does. 

29 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

All my family and I have had a strain of cold that's nothing like anything we'd had before - the headaches, etc. all passed quickly, but the cough/phlegm stuck around for absolutely fucking ages and would not fuck off for weeks. My parents still have it.

It's really taking it out of me. I'm so tired I could easily fall asleep at my desk.

I've not got a headache as such. It's more of a pressure over my cranium (or "brain helmet") which is obviously sinus related.

It's like a combination of jet lag and a bad hangover. And it can just fuck off, quite frankly.

Edited by Steve Justice

• Paid Members

Calling 111 at this moment is pointless because you can get the same advice on the gov website they will give you. You only need to call them if you have symptoms AND have been to or near someone who has been to the affected areas. If it's just symptoms, don't bother.

I've got a sore throat and runny nose, but no cough or fever. It's all in my nose ears and throat. So I'm fairly confident it's a cold. Calling 111 and clogging the line when you can just follow the advice online is pointless.

This will all change soon though, as soon as we move to the next phase, I suspect anyone with symptoms regardless will be asked to self isolate.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

It's really taking it out of me. I'm so tired I could easily fall asleep at my desk.

I've not got a headache as such. It's more of a pressure over my cranium (or "brain helmet") which is obviously sinus related.

It's like a combination of jet lag and a bad hangover. And it can just fuck off, quite frankly.

In my case, I was coughing so much that I started getting splitting headaches down the right side of my head, from the muscles spasming so frequently. Couldn't sleep either. Worst cold I've ever had.

• Moderators

Yeah similarly I caught a cold from my brother and sister-in-law when I was back in the UK around late October that just dragged on and on and on. I understand that testing should be limited to those who are at high risk, otherwise you'd have people wanting to get tested 3 times a day, but it is a hard one to call when you start seeing reports about coronavirus symptoms being similar to a mild cold. Not that I'm concerned with mild cold symptoms, but the spreading of it makes it a hard one to call.

There is no way to prevent the virus spreading across the UK so the task is really to delay it and limiting the impact on the health service. I understand the government's position in a way, though I do think all sporting events should be postponed for a few weeks as this doesn't really come into delaying it.

Singapore have had the best response so far and I hope the UK takes those measures. less extreme than an Italy etc.

34 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

All world leaders do exactly what the professionals tell them do they Davey Boy? He will do what is politically expedient for him, like he always does. 

If you want to think that he'll have a team of medical professionals telling him and his team that it's time to lock shit down in the UK and Boris is just gonna say "nah, don't think that's needed, mate" and roll out to his little lectern and tell everyone to chill and carry on as normal then I don't know what to tell you.

Any decision he announces will be made by a whole squad of political advisors and medical experts. I know that doesn't sit well with the whole "we need to hate Boris, he's a knob" crowd, but that's how it is.

Will politics come into it? Of course. There's not a world leader who'll dismiss the political side of things in any decision they make. And neither should they.

39 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

Thanks, I always wondered what it meant when the lads at the back of the class called me that.