Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

So as I mentioned in another thread a few weeks ago. In Vietnam i've been off work (paid) since January 20th. Things had been really simple doing a little bit of managerial stuff and basically chilling out. However things have got a bit complicated this week.

To start with after consulting my superiors I was told a planned trip to Bali for the wife's birthday could go ahead. Half way through the trip I received an email saying a colleague who had been on a flight returning from Doha had been in close contact with a Vietnamese person who contacted the virus. This meant that anyone in close contact with him had to self-quarantine. It turned out he was negative, however everyone has to continue the quarantine until 2 weeks after last contact, meaning the one who was near the infected gets out first!

Returning to Vietnam and our home last night, after being advised by my company it was the best option, we received a knock on the door at 9 PM from a very stern looking lady. She presented all these documents saying that myself and my wife who has had no contact with the colleague have to be in self-quarantine for the next 2 weeks. Way longer than my colleague. There were lots of excuses about us going abroad but no paperwork, my wife is Vietnamese so she read it all carefully. Although we haven't left the room she seems to have upset someone as they sent a polite message this morning through the staff who run our building to basically comply or be taken to a quarantine camp. 

So right now we are not sure how long we have to stay in here for or whats going on. Just a bit annoyed with my management as I asked if I could just stay in Bali for a few weeks or even more if things get worse and they seemed to suggest I could come home and things would be fine in a few days. So here I am stuck in an industrial area of Vietnam a prisoner in my own home rather than sat on Kuta beach with a bottle of cold beer!

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

My best friend is going to bali in early May, i am scared that he won't be able to go due to this virus. Is it looking likely he wont be able to go? 

I’d doubt it, current thinking Is our epicentre is about 4 to 6 weeks away before it gets any better. 

I couldn’t care less what people think I’m going out gloved up. I’ve been advised to visit gp Friday to discuss my asthma issues. Not filling me with confidence 

39 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

I have to admit that I admired the cheeky Vietnamese strategy of cancelling visa waiver travel and then saying that they simply wouldn't process visa applications.

Apply all you want, but they'll go into the visa application processing pile (shredder).

Well as you probably know all Schengen and British passport holders will not be allowed in for 30 days from tomorrow. 

• Paid Members

I've designated myself as "value added non essential staff" which means if we need to work from home someone more critical can have my laptop, so I'm not working.

The downside is they'll try and get me picking in the wearhouse, but given my contract is for IT project management and business analysis and I'm a fat out of shape mental case I expect a heated discussion on that if they try it.

That said they left me stranded in another country with nowhere to live for 24hrs once and said it's "not their problem", so I'm not expecting much.

• Paid Members

Drove from London to cover an event in Manchester. 100% definitely going ahead whatever happens, they said. Get as far as Stoke (and what a place that is). Called off. Drove all the way back again. Lovely jubbly. 

Crap time to be working in sport but more than happy to knock the majority of sports events for the greater good and all that. I can see most major events being pushed back a few months, similar to the London Marathon which will now be held in October. 

• Paid Members

Has anybody here actually got it? I'm assuming not because we're wrestling fans and nobody should want to go near us anyway.

I've had a dodgy throat the last few days but no other symptoms but I'm playing it safe and going even less places than usual. My daughter's not helping by going through another 'pretending to cough' phase.

• Paid Members

The company I work for has put out instructions for office staff to maintain a minimum of 1m distance from each other, no meetings in small meeting rooms, no travelling together in cars and no travel between regions. My job role (not office based) means that on a daily basis I need to be in a confined, unventilated, space with up to 10 people for an hour or more, their advice “wash your hands regularly and do the best you can”. 
This is the same company who, during beast from the east, gave office staff a couple of days off so they didn’t have to travel to work but threatened one of our, almost retired, guys with disciplinary for refusing to continue to work despite it being plainly obvious how dangerous it was becoming, the entire operation was suspended about and hour later and swift apology was delivered. 
I think a coup is brewing. 

Edited by stumobir

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Has anybody here actually got it? I'm assuming not because we're wrestling fans and nobody should want to go near us anyway.

I've had a dodgy throat the last few days but no other symptoms but I'm playing it safe and going even less places than usual. My daughter's not helping by going through another 'pretending to cough' phase.

Has anyone here even been tested?  This is most of the issue, loads of people walking around not knowing they even have it 

• Awards Moderator

I went to a funeral yesterday and it was mental. The girl in the box was 72 so the congregation was an old one.

The usual sullen ‘hello’ with firm handshakes weren’t even offered up by the majority, but when someone did it was just awkward.

Someone coughed during the service and you’d think they’d just bitten a bat’s head off and put mint sauce on it for the looks they got. The priest acknowledged it, trying to make light of the situation, but half the room suddenly looked like they’d forgotten to update their wills.

Reckon the next few funerals that church will do will be via Skype.

My dad has had the flu for about 2 weeks and had a hospital appointment for something non related during the week, they didn’t even test him for the virus.

He did say the doctor attempted to shake his hand on the way out too.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

I’ve had what feels like a cold for about a fortnight but only have a slightly raised temperature so no testing for me. My lung is starting to hurt though so will have to keep an eye on that. Self isolation shouldn’t be an issue should I need to. I probably should start just to be on the safe side.