Rey_Piste

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Harry Wiseau said:

If you like Toblerone the Poundland version (Twin Peaks) is good, they launched it when the real toblerones that they sold for £1 started to be silly with huuuuge gaps between chunks, they do about five flavours now and they're all good, especially the white one

Those are dangerous. Sadly, they've discontinued the cookies n' cream one (or at least my local one has), but the others are still very nice.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Merzbow said:

If you're on a budget then Koka is the brand to buy, not the same quality as a Samyang etc but for 40p or so there's no better. Cheapo supermarket brands are the dirt worst and Maggi aren't much better imo.

I usually go with the Spicy Stir Fry flavor but both Masala and Curry are good. The Veg ones are nice but much harder to find.

spacer.png

Koka are definitely up there for packet instants - I also recommend Nissin Demae.

Those Stir-Fry ones are excellent; there's an Asian mini-market in the Food Hall of our local shopping centre which sells pretty much anything you need to make Asian food (more east, but there's some south), and they have a stack of shelves out the front that has a ton of different noodle brands, including Koka, as well as some Thai, Indonesian, and Filipino ones. They have the Koka vegetable, but also mushroom, crab, lobster, tomato, beef, chicken (obvs), prawn, and Tom-Yum. I tried one of the Singapore ones recently, the duck-flavoured one, and it was lush.

Home Bargains are good for Koka. Mine has Stir Fry, beef and chicken in all the time and occasionally others like Tom-Yum. You can buy like 24 pack boxes of them lol. Which I have been tempted to do but my other half would probably kill me.

Some of the high end, premium noodle cups from Asia I've seen on Youtube channels like Mikey Chen and DancingBacons look insane.  Cups having like ten different bags to add to the noodles including proper slabs of meat. Some having their own self heating element you just add water too like an MRE and they steam away.

17 hours ago, Harry Wiseau said:

If you like Toblerone the Poundland version (Twin Peaks) is good, they launched it when the real toblerones that they sold for £1 started to be silly with huuuuge gaps between chunks, they do about five flavours now and they're all good, especially the white one

I went in today and got a bar of the white chocolate. I'll be going back as they're very nice and a lot cheaper than Toblerone.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made it to Poundland. 

spacer.png

Quick test whilst dinner cooks.

Jalapeno 10/10

Garlic Bread 8/10

Honey Mustard & Onion 6/10 (but I don't really like that flavour anyway)

And obligatory pick up of 10x packs of the best noodles. 

spacer.png

Brilliant array of different noodles, but I didn't have time and needed to catch the bus. Next time.

On 11/27/2022 at 9:55 PM, Harry Wiseau said:

On this Aldi have launched their own version under their Moser Roth brand with the hugely imaginative title of Swiss Mountain Chocolate Bar

• Paid Members
On 12/14/2022 at 6:55 PM, SuperBacon said:

spacer.png

Honey Mustard & Onion 6/10 (but I don't really like that flavour anyway)

It was going so well. But I understand honey in a "savoury" snack isnt for everyone.

Can anyone confirm sight within the British Isles of any of the other flavours mentioned on the back of the packets? Wasabi etc?

• Paid Members

the missus is big into chocolate covered marshmallow and has got me on the Mallow & Marsh train:

marshmallow-snack-bag-4-flavours-906271.jpg.e9ac4b226197403efd5f80b8a93edd81.jpg

There's several flavours but salted caramel are the ones. I mentioned elsewhere on here that i have gluten inotolerance so had to give up a bunch of good shit this year, but these are a great substitute for the ol' Mars Bar. Lovely stuff, bit pricey at 2.50 a bag though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Not sure if it's keeping with the thread but I bought some "pruneaux d'agen fourrés" (prunes stuffed with prunes) over Christmas and they are amazing. 

I'd happily eat the lot in one go and accept consequences. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Not sure if it's keeping with the thread but I bought some "pruneaux d'agen fourrés" (prunes stuffed with prunes) over Christmas and they are amazing.

How does that work? Is it big prunes stuffed with smaller prunes?