Jump to content

2020 Celebrity Death Thread


seph

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Posted

One of the truly great actors, with a career in which you couldn't just point to one single role as a stand-out, as there were just so many.

There was a point where I experienced the Mandela Effect as regards him - because he's always had that craggy look, he looked old even when he wasn't, so I thought "he must've passed away by now", and, lo and behold, he popped up in Minority Report. In a way it staggers me he was only 90. I think also my perception was partly skewed by how effective the aging effects were in The Exorcist - he genuinely looked that old, and he was only in his mid-40s.

Posted

Along with Kirk Douglas, these are two personifications of Hollywood history that have passed in recent weeks. Not many actors still around who started in black and white movies.  I still think The Exorcist is one of the greatest horror movies ever, and frankly that's a lot down to his performance.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Like with most actors who have an iconic role or two in their careers, von Sydow will mostly be remembered for The Exorcist and The Seventh Seal. What will be forgotten was that he was in 11 Ingmar Bergman films (and Bergman never made a dud) and graced a whole host of other great films in supporting roles, like Hannah and Her Sisters, Three Days of the Condor, Flash Gordon and Minority Report. Truly one of the greats.

  • Awards Moderator
Posted

Also Lor San Tekka for that bit at the start of The Force Awakens.

I saw The Exorcist for the first time a couple of months ago, and he's absolutely superb in it. Utterly compelling and believable every second he's on screen. One of the great dramatic performances.

Posted
3 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Considering how artsy I'm supposed to be due to my career, he will always be Ming The Merciless to me. 

I didn't give a fuck until you said that ?

  • Paid Members
Posted
5 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Also the voice of Vigo the Carpathian. The scourge of Carpathia and the sorrow of Moldavia.

I didn't know this.

Considering I live for nerdy trivia like this, I'm baffled that I didn't know this. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Really gutted about this one. The Pete and Geoff Show helped me through a couple of really rough years.

 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Fuck me that’s sad. Massive fan of his work when he was on Piccadilly back in the day, and still puzzles me to this day why he wasn’t a massive nam.

Posted

U.S. actor Jack Kehoe.  He passed away back in January at the age of 85, but seeing him pop up in the Midnight Run, which I watched this evening and instantly recognizing him from The Sting, prompted me to Google him.  According to wiki practically disappeared from public life after David Fincher's The Game in 1997 and gave few interviews during his career.

PRI_124690034.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&z

On reading more about Midnight Run was shocked to find out that Danielle DeClos (who plays DeNiro's daughter in the film) is now 45!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...