2020 Celebrity Death Thread

seph

She took unbelievable abuse on social media for years from One Direction fans for dating Harry Styles. It was incredibly depressing. You could say its just teenage girls what can they do but but it was millions of them from around the world, flooding her accounts with non stop abuse. If you were feeling vulnerable and depressed can you imagine checking your Twitter and seeing 1000's of messages telling you to kill yourself everyday.

The red tops were always going in for their pound of flesh whenever they can too. Very sad stuff.

14 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I don’t think anyone is saying she’s a victim regarding domestic violence, more a victim of red top pile ons as they gleefully rubbed their hands over any rumour of the situation. 

Agree. 

The behaviour of the red tops continues to be horrendous. Problem is, we have a sizeable population who want to read this drivel and create a market for it. Its very hypocritical for the same people who clamour for these stories and this kind of "news" to then criticise the media feeding their demand. 

What does bother me, is that I think the public reaction today would be different if gender roles were reversed. 1 in 3 domestic abuse victims are men and I believe there remains a real stigma regarding gender roles in this regard. 

I also don't agree with the sentiment that it was a travesty that a case of domestic abuse was going to trial. Cases like this should go to trial, but its unacceptable that the press are allowed by law to report on suspects until they are convicted of a crime - it's tragic that the situation unravelled to a point it did before she'd been convicted of any crime. 

Edited by MPDTT

Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

Aren't you a Daily Mail reader?

The TV guide on a Saturday is outstanding........but point made. I take no interest in celebrity culture and reality TV so wouldn't have a clue what they write about in gossip columns. 

Here's my take on it. I was a fan of hers, she was really good when she won Strictly, she was really talented. 

I think the press have every right to report the facts about her case. Anyone in the public eye involved in a domestic case would suffer similar treatment. 

But here's what I don't like, it's as if as soon as you fuck up, that's you're reputation, career, life, all over. It's a bad culture that's come from the press and social media. Everyone's out to see everyone else fail. Caroline surely thought there was nothing left living for. And let's be honest, irregardless of what happened in the court, the next TV show that employed her would have got SLATED. The mud would have stuck and everyone out there in social media would have been murmuring, bitch, psycho, abuser etc. 

I've always said it but barring the absolute most heinous of crimes people deserve to live their life. People are fallible, people do bad things (which she may or may not have done), and deserve chances. I think what's happened is a terrible shame and says a lot about our judgemental society. 

Edited by LEGIT

Did Justin Lee Collins suffer this amount of abuse? Did he fuck, his career was left in tatters but he sure as shit wasn't hounded in to an early grave.

The shitty tabloids now take it upon themselves to create the news instead of simply reporting it and you just know the alternative will end up being a total and convenient censorship that is designed to protect those in power instead of vulnerable young tv personalities.

19 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Did Justin Lee Collins suffer this amount of abuse? Did he fuck, his career was left in tatters but he sure as shit wasn't hounded in to an early grave.

The shitty tabloids now take it upon themselves to create the news instead of simply reporting it and you just know the alternative will end up being a total and convenient censorship that is designed to protect those in power instead of vulnerable young tv personalities.

I may be misunderstanding but if you're trying to suggest this is a new phenomenon, I can't say I agree with that. Hounding is definitely amplified through social media, but the tabloids have been doing this kind of thing for decades. Paul Gascoigne, Christopher Jefferies, Justin Fashanu, Daniella Westbrook, Sarah Harding, Roxanne Pallett...I could keep going. But if you take the people I've just listed and Google them one by one, you'll find newspapers revelling in their troubles. Each story is one suicide away from being a disaster, a Caroline Flack style situation. Sadly, in Justin Fashanu's case, that actually did happen. 

Something should have been done to tackle this a long time ago, and something clearly should be done about it now. Unfortunately Boris Johnson isn't the Prime Minister who will reign in the press, not least when they're his convenient mouthpiece. 

Edited by RedRooster

Yeah I think my "The shitty tabloids now" comment shoyld have read "the shitty tabloids have always took it upon themselves". They've definitely took it up to the n'th degree though with the online content being so misleading and vague just to get the initial clicks.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

In the days of TV being far more influential in terms of celebrity, I could never see the appeal (money aside) from being, or seeking to be, famous.

Now that the glass TV screen that separates the famous from us “normal” people has all but gone, everything has moved online and has given anyone a direct line of communication to pretty much anyone of note. It’s even more direct than having someone’s phone number, as even though you can block individual accounts, the sheer volume of attack on social media is ridiculous. With retweeting, sharing and easy syndication of opinion, there’s nowhere to hide and I can only imagine how unbearable feeling like the one vs thousands of others must feel. In 2020, I honestly couldn’t think of anything more horrific that being ‘famous’.

Fully agree, and in addition to this, becoming ‘famous’ has become so much more achievable and accessible. People have become rabid with trying to become famous. They will attempt YouTube channels, or social media accounts in the attempt to become noticed. 
They will say and do incredible stupid shit, because unfortunately, it’s a proven formula.

One of the Paul brothers (YouTubers) are synonyms with being absolute cretins. Trashing rented properties, general verbal abuse towards others, scripted bedlam, all on video, gaining millions of views and advertising revenue in the process. One of them went to Japan, to a forest associated to people hanging themselves. They found a dead hanging body, filmed it, and put it on their YouTube channel. 
It obviously had backlash, people kicking off, calling them out for it, giving them lots of shit for it and Youtube stepped in. It equated to fuck all, they still have one of the most successful channels, are living incredibly wealthy, famous lifestyles and soak up any negative shit they get, because it all adds to potential views, and therefore ad revenue.

Then that lad on a flight last week, who stood up on the flight and said out loud along the lines of, “Hi everyone, I’ve just been to Wuhan and I feel very sick, just letting you know”.

He filmed himself doing it, then admitted afterwards it was a stunt for his social media accounts.

Being abusive has become part and parcel of this new style of fame. Whether it’s the viewers trying to be shocking from behind a keyboard, or whether it’s out YouTube presenters slagging off other channels, encouraging their fans to join in the slagging match, in preparation for a staged boxing match 😐

The online newspaper sites are the worst. They take one story and split it into bits and use the quotes as separate stories. You then scroll down and nearly every second story is about the same issue e.g Caroline Flack when she was arrested, Philip Schofield coming out, the endless Ant McPartlin and his ex Lisa slating him. One story becomes 100 each with some terrible comments from some spiteful keyboard warriors. No wonder some many celebs etc go off the rails these days. The fact that they are now retrospectively going back and erasing said stories show just how low level these journalists are.

With thid and the fake news culture, I had recently thought about going back to buying the printed press on a semi regular basis but to be honest I don't even know what a trusted honest unbiased newspaper in circulation is? Is there one?

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

The tabloids cherry pick the stories that suit their narrative .

1 hour ago, iMPACt! said:

They take one story and split it into bits and use the quotes as separate stories.

1 hour ago, iMPACt! said:

One story becomes 100 each with some terrible comments from some spiteful keyboard warriors.

You could say that about a few people on here! (& before anyone else points it out, i know i have split this story up).