2020 Celebrity Death Thread

seph

• Paid Members

the more I think about it, the more this is starting to sink in on almost the same level as some of the "big hitters" in 2016...I remember more and more things he did, more great lines, great deliveries of what would otherwise be perfectly acceptable lines but which he elevated to comedy genius, and think that we've lost a real source of joy in the world.

51 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Always reminds me of Hoffman telling Olivier that he’d been up for days getting into character and Olivier replying “My dear boy, why don’t you just try acting”

As a counter to this. I saw an interview with PTA and Day Lewis for There Will Be Blood and the meticulous preparation for the role was brought up. The interviewer mentioned that line and Day Lewis said something along the lines of “I know this will be sacrilege to some but that says to me that maybe he didn’t understand screen acting. That works for the stage and he was unparalleled on the stage but screen acting is more than finding the right pair of shoes”

TeamDDL

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I think part of the reason that Python worked so well is that each member had a fairly defined archetype or comic role; Cleese did exasperated rage and pomposity, Palin was the repressed "stiff upper lip" or authority figure, Eric Idle the irritant/eccentric, and Chapman the actor. Terry Jones just seemed to represent the sheer unbridled joy of performing, in its most essential sense - the delight in dressing up and putting on a silly voice. The joy of serious, intelligent men doing profoundly daft things.

Couldn't agree with this more. Jones was always the Python that summed up the very British farce of it all. Labyrinth was a great example of his humour, listening to his one liners in that you can go back to Monty Python and say 'That's one of his lines/ That's a Terry Jones sketch'

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Grecian said:

It's being reported Kobe Bryant, NBA chap, has been killed in a helicopter crash. 

I know nothing about the NBA, but I've heard his name. Wasn't he the Messi/Ronaldo of basketball when he played, or am I thinking of someone else?

2 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

I know nothing about the NBA, but I've heard his name. Wasn't he the Messi/Ronaldo of basketball when he played, or am I thinking of someone else?

I’d have him in my top 5 players I’ve seen play the game through old tape and live games 

• Awards Moderator

I thought Nicholas Parsons would go on forever, but it's very sad to hear he's gone, albeit at 96.

I met him once, and was so impressed by the way he could just turn it "on" for a camera. Otherwise quite grumpy and short with people (not saying that as a critcism, he'd earned the right after so many decades performing for the likes of us), but the second that camera was out - instantaneous! It was so quick you couldn't be anything but impressed. A real pro.

And of course Just A Minute has always been wonderful to listen to - obviously it won't be the same without him, on a literal level, but there'll be something fundamentally missing without his presence there.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

My introduction to him was on BSB in the early 90's as the host of Laughlines, a show I had to look up to remember the title of, and Sale of the Century. when it was repeated. I had no idea of his long radio career until years later. Started his showbiz career in the 1950's. So that was almost 70 years. Amazing.

51 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I thought Nicholas Parsons would go on forever, but it's very sad to hear he's gone, albeit at 96.I

Pretty much this.

Twitter can be a ghastly place more often than not but there are some absolutely touching tributes to him on there.  Everyone he came in contact with having nothing but kind words and fond memories of him.  What an absolute gent he was.

This place ruined Parsons. Whenever he was on tv or radio, I automatically think about the anecdote of how he wanted to rent a vid, was told it was cheaper to buy an ex rental of the film he was after, and went on an impassioned plea about how he just wanted to rent it. @Bellenda Carlisle was it you?