2020 Celebrity Death Thread

seph

• Paid Members

I'm really glad that he had such a long life, and that it wasn't this villain which got him:

asterix_cv.jpg.9e67fc71b3c31dc622b1c26d59b441af.jpg

Asterix (who is 60 himself!) is one of my quirky little hobbies. I think I might try to reduce the unread pile by one this evening in memory of him.

Edit: Didn't he have the weirdest pen-holding style?!

Edited by Ronnie

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

Manu Dibango, killed by the Coronavirus. 86, amazing innings for an African sax player, but still, fucking fucking hell.

Uderzo, and now Dibango. I can see this is going to be a very dark period indeed. As you say: fucking fucking hell.

• Paid Members

I'd love to get hold of the Asterix books again. There are a couple of the older animated movies on Netflix. 

11 hours ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

Manu Dibango, killed by the Coronavirus. 86, amazing innings for an African sax player, but still, fucking fucking hell.

Been years since I put this on - what a joy. The title track is more iconic than most know. Michael Jackson re-adapted it most famously but check out the massive list of people who did also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_Makossa#Adaptations_and_samples

Will have to dig further into his huge discography soon. RIP to a real one.

Edited by sj5522

20 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Read all the Asterix books when I was a kid, absolutely loved them. What a body of work he's left behind.

If you like Asterix go to Parc Asterix near Paris. I absolutely loved it. Got to meet Asterix, Obelix, Cheif Vitalstatistix and many others as well as visiting the Gaulish village.  There are many excellent rides there too but it was busy and I didn't do any but still had an amazing time!

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Horror director Stuart Gordon has sadly passed away aged 72. Always enjoyed his films, especially Re-Animator and Castle Freak. 

I just came to post that. Re-animator is a classic as is From Beyond. Not to mention Fortress. A 90s video store legend if ever there was one.

• Paid Members

Fuck. What a fine director he was. Only really one or two duffers in his whole career. Re-Animator and From Beyond are obvious classics, but I watched Dolls last October and it's fantastic. Plus he did a really good version of The Pit and the Pendulum, and Fortress! Rewatched that endlessly when it came out.

Oh, and Stuck was a great little thriller too. Most of his films were under-appreciated, come to think of it.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Looking through his filmography now and he's a great example of that generation of Directors that made a career from video shops. A Very specific budget of film with box artwork to stand out for rental. The Dentist, Reanimator, Fortress, Robot Jox. Even if you never saw them people of a certain age can probably tell you exactly what the video case or trailer was like.