Facts that make you feel old

Chilly McFreeze

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

We have a 19-year-old in our office who one day described the stuff I had been listening to on Spotify as “dad bands”.

That day I had been listening to bands from 1997/8 sort of periods. For me, the classic ‘dad band’ is Status Quo, so it really made me think.

We listen to mostly 60's/70's music in our house. My kid is going to grow up weird, and not just because of her dad 

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

Me showing my 8yr old daughter Back to the Future today would be equivalent to my Dad showing 8yr old me Singing in the Rain.

Wow thats a great one right there. Never looked at it like that before.

Edited by quote the raven

32 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

We have a 19-year-old in our office who one day described the stuff I had been listening to on Spotify as “dad bands”.

That day I had been listening to bands from 1997/8 sort of periods. For me, the classic ‘dad band’ is Status Quo, so it really made me think.

I suppose that now makes the likes of Status Quo "Grandad Bands".

• Paid Members

We have people fresh out of University, some even straight from 6th form, in for training and the amount of them who don't know how to use or talk over a telephone, or show trepidation in doing so...Christ. It's something they've never really had to do voluntarily before as texting/messaging has been an almost constant in their lives. Makes me feel like a caveman.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

I work with a 19 year old lad. He once said to me “I started watching this show on Netflix last week. Never heard of it before but it’s quite funny. Not sure if you know of it but it’s called Only Fools and Horses. It’s pretty funny, you should check it out”.

Then you pulled a face?

I work with multiple people young enough to be my children. :/

• Paid Members

Another one that got me was when Lister posted that tweet of the guy who showed his kid one of his old PC floppy disks, and the little sod said: "Oh, cool - you 3D-printed the Save icon." 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

We have people fresh out of University, some even straight from 6th form, in for training and the amount of them who don't know how to use or talk over a telephone, or show trepidation in doing so...Christ.

I guess that’s why kids these days seem to use telephones by holding in their hand in front of them when talking, and constantly moving it from their mouth to their ear to listen for responses, but constantly going “You wot?”. Like, where has this come from and why do kids seem to think it’s a better way of using a phone than the “traditional” way of holding it to your ear?

• Paid Members

A friend of mine showed some students the first episode of Spaced, which still feels like it's pretty modern in my head. 

One question they had was "why is Daisy's boyfriend in prison?". He was actually a student, but because we see him talking to her from a payphone in a halls of residence, they immediately assumed he was in prison. Because why else would you be using a payphone indoors?