Facts that make you feel old

Chilly McFreeze

• Paid Members

This is D'Margio Wright Phillips (Ian Wrights grandson and Shaun's son) who turns 18 next month training with some of Citys first team.

I used to joke I felt old when SWP was playing because I grew up watching his dad but now it's no longer a joke. 

download.jpeg

• Paid Members

Not so much a "make you feel old" thing as a "weird time-based fact" but we are now as far from the first ever FIFA World Cup as it was from:

1. The British taking Hong Kong. 

2. The Amistad revolt. 

3. The creation of Canada. 

4. New Zealand becoming a colony. 

9 hours ago, TheToeSucker said:

GTA 3 is 18 years old.

GTA Vice City is as old as 1986 was in 2002/

I see some of my students using the computers in the lobby to play what looks like GTA San Andreas or Vice City and I think cool that engine's stood the test of time. Then I rease these are hacks for multiplayer gaming and it makes me feel old again thinking about how it was a state of the art 50 quid game once now it can be run online like we used to be able to play tank battle or tetris online when I was a teenager. 

11 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

I guess that’s why kids these days seem to use telephones by holding in their hand in front of them when talking, and constantly moving it from their mouth to their ear to listen for responses, but constantly going “You wot?”. Like, where has this come from and why do kids seem to think it’s a better way of using a phone than the “traditional” way of holding it to your ear?

I see this too but also from people older than me. Should add it to the trivial things that annoy me too. I can't understand most people where I live but my wife says a lot of people do it when they are talking about money to show off here, however I think it's more likely that people are using face time etc to talk to each other and simply learn that pose of holding the phone rather than putting it up to their ears. In regards to video calling I fucking hate it unless its necessary as it means I have to compose myself and focus on someones face lagging about on the screen.

I spent a long time working in school-aged childcare. I moved on to policy work a couple of years ago and just before I left we had a few children start whose parent's had used the service when they were at school.

Thought that was a sign of getting old. Then my son came home with a letter to say that his teacher next year will be Miss H. Turns out I looked after Miss H when she was in early primary too. That's a sign of being fucking ancient. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

The baby from Madonna's "Papa Don't Preach" would be 32 now. 

This has never occurred to me before, but the word "Papa" in this song is really annoying. Who the hell says "Papa" who isn't Latino?