Facts that make you feel old

Chilly McFreeze

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, gmoney said:

This has never occurred to me before, but the word "Papa" in this song is really annoying. Who the hell says "Papa" who isn't Latino? 

Fivel from An American Tail constantly referred to his dad as 'Papa', and he had your standard, generic american accent (despite being Russian).

Coincidentally, that film being 33 years old makes me feel old.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Fivel from An American Tail constantly referred to his dad as 'Papa', and he had your standard, generic american accent.

Yeah, but he's Eastern European. That's pretty integral to the plot. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

That's hardly Latino though. Always found it off-putting how they diluted Fivel's Russian accent with an American twang.

Yes, sorry, I had silently conceded Chest's point that Europeans say Papa as well. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I thought they said papi.

A lot of Europeans say papa. And a lot of pop song writers are European. Maybe that's the link?

Also, Madonna's Grandparents on her Dad's side were Italian emigrants according to wiki, so she probably did call him Papa 

• Paid Members

Found an old Lemon Jelly mix from the Breezeblock on Radio 1 that my mates and I used to listen to on road trips on SoundCloud today. It's 20 years old.

13 hours ago, gmoney said:

This has never occurred to me before, but the word "Papa" in this song is really annoying. Who the hell says "Papa" who isn't Latino? 

I used to call one of my Grandads (who was Scottish) Papa and neither me nor my sisters are Latino.