The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Supremo said:

Totally agree in principle that I don’t want to see Mox doing flips or dives. I’m interested though, have you seen much of Moxley’s G1? I think he had a number of matches in that tournament that absolutely proved how much better he is not adhering to WWE style. And that’s coming from someone who was always a huge fan. That Ishii match in particular was probably better than any match he ever had in WWE and was a real indictment of how potential gets stunted and wasted in that system. 

Who knows? Maybe even Seth Rollins could be as good as he thinks he is in that environment. Provided New Japan didn’t give him the WiFi password, of course.

Yeah, I watched a handful of his G1 matches including that funny match that he lost by count out.

I don't know if I made my point well enough but I'm not suggesting he wrestle a WWE style. What I'm saying is you can see from his matches that he has WWE fundamentals. You can see them in Pac too. That's a great thing and I worry that in an attempt to strip all of his previous character away, he forgets that to start dicking about like most of these lads.

That's what I meant. WWE know what they're doing when it comes to working. Like everything else though, they bash the individuality out of people because they insist their way is the only way of doing EVERYTHING. 

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Penta was my fav wrestler in the world when he was doing his stuff solo in Lucha Underground, I've never really got along with the tag-team and their "look, we're cool and into hip-hop" vibe.

Same for me. Absolutely loved the rise of Pentagon in Lucha Underground. He felt like the coolest act in the whole business. He's still great now, but is a way less effective character in a tag team. Anybody enjoying him for the first time in AEW should go back and watch as much of his LU stuff as they can.

LU really never got enough credit by my reckoning. Far and away the most creative and interesting alternative product to have come along in decades. Stuff they did makes a mockery of the idea that AEW is somehow fresh.

Awful episode of Dynamite this week, by the way. Cody and Jericho's brawl the only bright spot. 

• Paid Members

A lot of the matches just feel like the people involved are doing all their moves and kicking out until they decide there's going to be a finish. Visually they're spectacular, but there's no substance to them.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

A lot of the matches just feel like the people involved are doing all their moves and kicking out until they decide there's going to be a finish. Visually they're spectacular, but there's no substance to them.

Isnt that just standard modern day wrestling you’re describing there?

• Paid Members

Modern American Wrestling. New Japan still has storytelling. NWA still does. I'd imagine if Cornette is involved with more than just commentary in MLW there'll be at least some involved there.

Finally caught up on this weeks episode. That opening tag, jesus, bit of a mess wasn't it. Private Party seemed hesitant with a lot of moves, it seemed especially obvious on some of the double team stuff. Pentagon no-sold a bunch of stuff too which added to it looking a bit of a shambles for me and then it was high spot, high spot, high spot, finish.

In contrast SCU and Dark Order was great fun. Kaz doesn't get the credit he deserves and is such a good hand to have around and Scorpio Sky has really grown on me as a performer. Shame it was totally overshadowed by Jericho and co walking to the box mid-match meaning most of the crowd weren't looking at the ring in the run up to the finish. Inner Circle were a joy though, the air horns during Cody's promo was such a simple, dickheadish thing to do. Loved it.

Edited by cobra_gordo

I've been unsure of Dark Order ever since they turned up in AEW but I will admit that last weeks match with SCU started to change that for me. I'm still not 100% on board with the gimmick but as workers they're really growing on me.

I also found it hilarious that JR was so thoroughly upset with Evil Uno being billed as 220lbs and calling it live on commentary, like "ffs guys, he's fat! We can get away with 240 at least!". I know folks have been shitting on grumpy JR but I'm loving him.

• Paid Members

I think they just need people laying out the matches better for them. They can do all the spectacular high flying stuff, but build to it, and try not to be doing the same high flying stuff everybody else on the show tends to be doing or it'll get lost in the shuffle. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz
That's better.

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I think they just need people laying out the mat he's better for them. They can do all the spectacular high flying stuff, but build to it, and try not to be doing the same high flying stuff everybody else on the show tends to be doing or it'll get lost in the shuffle. 

No! That’s WWE style holding the good workers down. Haven’t you seen how much better [ex-WWE name] is without Vince holding him/her down???

Seth Rollins would still be a Tyler Black-level worker if he was still allowed to do three suicide dives a match.

Edited by King Pitcos

43 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Anthony Ogogo seems a weird signing.

Dunno, tall(ish), decent looking, naturally athletic, legit sports background, crossover appeal and apparently trained by some decent trainers, depending on your opinion of the Knights. Also he'll be a blank canvas for the trainers to work with.

Seems worth a shout.

Also thinking on it, that AEW trainer/agent roster is something else really when you think about it. Dustin, Malenko, Arn, Billy Gunn, Jerry Lynn and BJ Whitmer unless I'm missing someone. Not a bad list of guys to ask for advice.

Edited by BrodyGraham
Oh and another thing...............