The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

I was honestly disappointed by both the big angles on the show. There's no reason at all for Cody to win that belt back, especially not if he's going to fuck around with the likes of Orange Cassidy. Luke Harper looks like an idiot because he flattened Cody, called him and his wife out, made the stipulation and then lost. 
The Chris Jericho Celebration was pointless. Nothing happened. 

• Paid Members

Angelico and Jack Evans should be nowhere near a mainstream wrestling show. FTR looked like they were working their arses off to carry them to a match. They looked like trainees. 

Imagine having Handsome Miro and just have him fannying about with an arcade game in the crowd. 

Omega cut a decent promo with a few little quips about Hangman which i enjoyed. Mentioning he doesn't care whether he is against a singles wrestler or tag team wrestler like Page was brilliant. 

DDP's face barely moves these days, he's like a skinny Mickey Rourke. 

• Paid Members

Everything seemed like it was building to next week and I'm more than fine with that, considering Cody and Brodie was good and I enjoyed Hobbs and Cage. 

TH2, just, shit. You've got to give credit to Jack Evans for being in the business near 20 years now surely and still be that fucking dreadful. Everything he did just seemed like he or someone else was about to be dropped on their head. 

Luther getting a main event was all well and good as it was Jerichos night but he wrestled at the speed of a legends convention mid match. Felt clunky throughout. 

There's always a build to future episodes though and I'm now intrigued as to whether Will Hobbs will turn on everyone and join Taz eventually, if MJF or Sammy or the Full Inner Circle will turn on Jericho and the outcome of the main event next week. 

Still an easy 2 hour watch, just one this week with Among Us being played in the background during the matches. 

I really enjoyed this show, and although I was also really disappointed to see Cody win the belt back so soon I thought the match was great. I'm also reasonably confident they'll have a direction in mind for both Cody and Brodie given their track record so I'm more than willing to see where this all goes. 

I liked the show closing angle, although the match beforehand was a bit weak. There's nothing wrong with building anticipation, and I'm certainly very excited to see what goes down between MJF and Jericho next week. 

I also loved Jon Moxley's promo. I don't think the guy gets anywhere near enough credit. He feels like a megastar in that company and has quietly become the best and most consistent babyface in wrestling. I don't have any desire to see him lose the belt any time soon, although I suspect it'll happen if and when he faces off against Kenny Omega. Moxley/Page would also have serious intrigue to it if that's where they decide to go. 

I'm really curious about who he might face at Full Gear, assuming he doesn't drop the belt to Archer next week (which he shouldn't), there's not really an obvious choice of opponent. I could see them give Matt Hardy the match as a make-good after what happened last PPV and perhaps go with The Bucks/FTR or Omega/Page in the main event. 

• Paid Members

I thought Cody winning the belt back was the wrong decision, but then he cut that promo. Man, that lad’s good. The lack of fans these past few months almost made me forget how much I love him for being a pure, authentic white meat babyface that actually works in  2020. I’m hoping Cody has his fun match with Cassidy before Brodie gets the trilogy match at the PPV. Ideally that’ll be where Colt costs him the match and turns.

Luther looked absolutely terrible in the main event. It took something special to steal worst performance of the night from Jack Evans, but somehow he still managed it. Give him a job to make Jericho happy, sure. But that blown up wreck should never be allowed on national TV again, never mind the fucking main event.

Brilliant promo from Mox. He should cut all his promos from an empty bar.

The credits at the end were fantastic. Genuinely made me laugh. Good stuff.

Hangman and Omega in the finals of the tournament at Full Gear would be delightful. Let both guys smash everyone leading into the PPV and I’m all in.

Edited by Supremo

Near classic Dog collar match. It will go along with Parking Lot brawl in the memory for how unique it was. Hobbs/Cage was solid fun too, loved the enthusiastic commentary for it, especially from Tazz."Two big meat sandwiches colliding . . . SPLAT!!" They got Hobbs over well, and as green as he looked, he had a better showing than many 'vets' on the card. 

It's funny watching how AEW's goodwill manifests itself with the fans. Was it me, or did the crowd just fucking groan when they showed the 'weenies' on the video screen? Then as soon as they realised Chuck and Trent were behind it, they tried to politely walk it back and pretend they're anything other than super fucking shite.

• Paid Members

* Two massive slabs of meat, colliding in a HOSS FIGHT, is a hell of a way to start a show, and I LOVED THE SHIT out of Brian Cage versus Will Hobbs. I’m also into the inevitable Hobbs turn. I’m on the fence about Ricky Scaggs no-selling Darby Allin’s scary face.

* When TH2 were Los Gueros del Cielo in AAA they were really fucking great but that was five years and several injuries ago and I’m not sure what you should do with them, really. Angelico is still great as a whacky lucha submission guy and there’s still some value in Jack Evans being a crazy man, but it just didn’t work against FTR.

* The Young Bucks watched TV backstage exactly how wrestlers should do.

* That “weenies” shirt would have been great if they hadn’t pointed it out at all. 

* Dog collar matches can be tedious things but the TNT title match was GREAT. Yeah, I’m not sure Cody needed to win but I’ll let it slide because everything around it was cool. From John Silver to crimson masks and use of the chain as more than a prop, I loved this. And I’m sure there’ll be a reckoning from Brodie at some point...

* Greg Valentine is made out of stone.

* Kenny Omega is NOT AT ALL SCARED of tag-team wrestler Adam Page.

* Big Swole and Serena Deeb were on completely different pages, especially at the start and the finish, when it looked like they banged heads bad. They need to decide what they’re doing with Deeb, too, because she’s just kinda there on reputation and that’s okay but also not okay?

* Jon Moxley is the king of promos, putting over the importance of a match and the quality of his opponent, and he makes it so COOL.

* It’s a shame that we are where we are and that the other team couldn’t send in some congrats to Jericho - I would actually have popped for noted monster Vince McMahon appearing - but the celebration, including the match (you leave my ponderously slow Luther alone!) and aftermath, was lovely. Jericho is a GOAT and has pretty much dictated his own terms for two thirds of his career and I have something in my eye. Fuck Clownico.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Nick James said:

To be fair to Trent, he is brilliant, he's just being anchored down by Taylor and to an extent, Cassidy. Trent will go on to bigger and better things I'm sure of it. 

I've loved Trent since he was having crackers with Curt Hawkins on Main Event.

Chuck Taylor is the dirt worst though.