The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

500 people in a 2000 seat building. There was plenty of room and everyone wore a mask. I mean, it’s not perfect but it’s as good as you’re going to get without closing everything up for two years.

Audiences are s difficult situation to deal with, I work in a Theatre so I'm close to the situation and everyone has opinions on what the "right" this is to do.

On topic but why didn't AEW build up the chain match for Full Gear? I'm not really a Cody fan cos I find him too forced and over the top.

But if they held off his return til the Anniversary show and got the feud going again but now it'll either be a cold rematch or another super intense Cody bloodfeud after little build up

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

On topic but why didn't AEW build up the chain match for Full Gear? I'm not really a Cody fan cos I find him too forced and over the top.

But if they held off his return til the Anniversary show and got the feud going again but now it'll either be a cold rematch or another super intense Cody bloodfeud after little build up

I'd say it's because they're constantly trying to find a balance between having something for PPV and building something to make each TV show worth tuning into. This being for the TNT Title and also a rematch is prime for being a big TV match. It could have been a PPV match, no doubt, but it's been done so isn't as big a sell as other matches will be.

They generally do a good job of finding the balance. Think someone, maybe @Linus, suggested recently that they're hotshotting a bit but I think they do a good job overall of balancing it. They have given some stuff away, they've also built stuff that wouldn't be a main event on paper but worked. 

• Paid Members

I think they've got an amazing balance of making both the TV and PPV worth tuning in for. At the time, I remember thinking it was weird that both Best Friends vs. Santana & Ortiz and Darby Allin vs. Ricky Starks weren't on the PPV, but by doing them on the subsequent episodes of Dynamite it kept momentum going, always giving you something to look forward to, as well as giving guys a spotlight than they perhaps wouldn't get on a stacked PPV. In retrospect, I was 100% wrong moaning about the Best Friends match not being on the PPV. They were absolutely correct to save that for a TV main event. It made for an amazing episode, a genuine smiling-like-a-dickhead feeling when the show ended, whilst giving everyone involved the deserved main event rub.

Someone has mentioned it previously (maybe @tiger_rick?) but one of their greatest strengths is that things plod along so brilliantly and build and offshoot so naturally. It's the complete opposite to WWE, where there's very clear, "seasons," of four weeks of mostly skippable TV, then a clean reset after the Pay Per View where all the important matches happen. The way they often theme shows is really good too. Rather than every show feeling and looking the exactly the same, I'm able to distinctly remember Bash at the Beach,  Fyter Fest, Jericho Appreciation, etc. Even more impressive during this pandemic era when everything takes place in the same building. It's what constantly gives me late-90s vibes from AEW. It feels like the pro-wrestling I used to watch, where it's fun to follow and I look forward to the next show each and every week.

I've now watched Bloodsport. The amount of fans and how close they were getting to the wrestlers really stressed me out. Still though, that type of indy setting really hammers home what a fucking superstar Jon Moxley is. The guy has an aura that dwarves everyone else.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

For me the TNT Title should only be in TV. Its their title, if the champ is on PPV make it a match that can progress a future match, like they did with the Family vs Dark Order. 

I know the first match for the TNT Title was on PPV but I reckon that's what they're doing going forwards. They've heavily promoted it as the networks belt, wouldn't make much sense to then defend that belt on PPV.

• Paid Members

It's a difficult balance for AEW I imagine because a successful PPV is a great money maker so they will want to build them up right and save the biggest matches for them but also, the TV deal is the main source of income and absolutely has to be the priority for the company. Without it they'd be dead. So they have to have some big matches on their TV. So far I think they're getting the balance just about right but it could easily tip either way.

Yeah never considered the idea of the TNT being a mostly t.v. which I like and makes sense.

Also should make the world title more special if it is defended.

But still think the collar match should've been saved even for the Anniversary show.

I'm probably wrong but seems there blowing there load before Full Gear, with it being the last big show of the year, Cody vs Lee should be finished and Mox vs Archer is this week so not sure what big matches are ready for the ppv.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

so not sure what big matches are ready for the ppv.

FTR vs Young Bucks, Page vs Omega, Jericho vs MJF seem to be on the cards. Throw in potentially a 3rd match with Cody/Lee and something between Moxley and Kingston's crew and you've got a strong card.

5 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

FTR vs Young Bucks, Page vs Omega, Jericho vs MJF seem to be on the cards. Throw in potentially a 3rd match with Cody/Lee and something between Moxley and Kingston's crew and you've got a strong card.

Are they actually building Bucks vs FTR because things seemed to ready a few months ago and they only share slight looks etc instead of things escalating, FTR are doing fight every team/20min thing and bucks are kicking people and feuding with Kahn, I think they're expecting a lot more from this match that they should.

Otherwise not saying it won't be a strong card but feels things are peaking at weird times, some early and some too late

• Paid Members

When they first announced it, I thought the TNT title would be more a traditional TV title - only defended on TV, and vacated after a number of successful defenses. Used as a stepping stone.