The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Miro coming in as Kip’s muscle seems perfect to me. It sets up the eventual turn when Sabian becomes too obnoxious or says the wrong thing in front of Miro.

One whole year of Dynamite and they still haven’t figured out how to fix the audio levels whenever they go to a pre-recorded promo or a video package. It’s crazy having every single backstage segment start with about three or four seconds of wonky audio where we’re still getting the feed in the arena. 

• Paid Members

That never fails to piss me off. And I've never seen it in any other wrestling show ever so it's very confusing that AEW can't sort it. They've definitely fixed the vast majority of production problems they had the first few months of Dynamite but there's definitely a few still to be sorted. At least once an episode the camera will cut to the commentary desk and the guys will just sit there paused in dead air like they have no fucking idea what they're supposed to do next.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Miro coming in as Kip’s muscle seems perfect to me. It sets up the eventual turn when Sabian becomes too obnoxious or says the wrong thing in front of Miro.

Isn't that Wardlow / MJF, though? I think Miro is struggling because there is a lack of a place for him at the moment with everything going off with Moxley / Archer / Kingston, MJF / Jericho and Omega / Hangman. If he went after Cody, he would end the same way as Brodie, good for a month or two, but once the fued ends, then what? 

This is where the long term planning is a negative as much as a positive, apparently they have nearly a years worth of storylines wrote up already so how do you insert someone who is quite a big deal in to that? 

51 minutes ago, Nick James said:

This is where the long term planning is a negative as much as a positive, apparently they have nearly a years worth of storylines wrote up already so how do you insert someone who is quite a big deal in to that? 

I'm pretty sure this claim has done the rounds a couple of times, so if it is true, even with Covid, they must be getting to the end of that bank. That was coming from the Elite too, who've been consistent through lockdown so, apart from the Page angle, I can't see their storylines have been slowed down all that much. I don't doubt their claim was accurate at one point, but to say you've got a year of angles planned but don't course-correct if something isn't getting over would be foolish. It's not like a drama season where a whole run is in the can before broadcast; it's getting tweaked every week. I've convinced myself Page was meant to be the jealous drunken dick vs the Elite, but they failed to factor in how naturally cocky the Elite are and what a dreamboat Hangman is. There are moments when it feels like the wheels are clicked back into place when they're are more interesting routes to go - the hard reset of Cody to the point the Lee angle might as well never have happened screams of just wanting a reason for Cody off TV rather than any long term plan.

There's no reason a name can't come in with a good idea and get 5 minutes of screen time to get it over without impinging on the big picture. Miro might have no place yet in big championship angles, but that's no reason they couldn't have had some fun out of the ring, running Hangover-style stag do skits on Insta and throughout Dynamites. Even have it carry over into matches, like Sabian ending up trying to have a match handcuffed to a blow up doll or something.

It's interesting to think if any angles should have been with other people but had to be switched to the available roster. I know Kingston was brought in only recently, but you can imagine the angle with the Family running with PAC and the TDM.

Edited by CavemanLynn

• Paid Members

I believe it was Jericho who said it recently after the Cassidy feud that he himself had written his next 12 months of storylines. Along with Tony Khan writing far in the future, other than the odd turn of course with current storylines, such as Kingston being inserted due to Archer being in quarantine. They have had long running storylines throughout their entire run. As evident with them going back to Hardy / Guevara after its failed numerous times. I've no doubt that they feel they need a feud blow off between the two as a stepping stone to the next storyline. 

My point is that their only option currently with Miro if they wanted him to be main event, would be a villain of the month run which Moxley has been having since he became champ, but where do you go then? Miro will effectively be back in a similar position he was in as Rusev, with the trigger not being pulled. There's only so many times a character can overcome that.

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, Nick James said:

I believe it was Jericho who said it recently after the Cassidy feud that he himself had written his next 12 months of storylines.

To be fair, he said 12 weeks. I don't doubt that they have a lot of long term stuff planned for the Elite guys and Cody, but the rest definitely feels like a more traditional few weeks in advance planned/on the fly wrestling booking.

• Paid Members

Cody has just posted this on Twitter, which is analysis for UK viewership. Yes, the arguement could be made that AEW is free to air on ITV and WWE is now on BT Sport and to be honest, I didn't even know Impact was still on British television, however the info is very impressive for a wrestling show in 2020. I wonder what the figures are compared to the World of Sport revival with it being on ITV? 

All in all, well done, AEW. Hopefully they can continue to grow. 

Screenshot_20201018-173239_Twitter.jpg

The ‘watched for 5 consecutive minutes’ line seems a bit odd. Why even mention that? Doesn’t that imply that they tuned out soon afterwards

And 6.7m over the course of a year, isn’t that only around 129,000 weekly average across all platforms, I.e. ITV4, ITV1 highlights and Hub? Or have I misconstrued that

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I think that ratings only count if you watch more then 5 minutes.

As to the 6.7m number, I think that means that over 12 months 6.7m unique viewers, not over the course of 12 months. So you may have people who only watched the debut or a themed episode rather then weekly. That's how I read it anyway.

13 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I think that ratings only count if you watch more then 5 minutes.

As to the 6.7m number, I think that means that over 12 months 6.7m unique viewers, not over the course of 12 months. So you may have people who only watched the debut or a themed episode rather then weekly. That's how I read it anyway.

Not a shot at you @Hannibal Scorch, but there’s no fucking way that 6.7m different people watched AEW. Thats 1 in 10 in the country, never in a million years is it even close to that