The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

33 minutes ago, Linus said:

When they first announced it, I thought the TNT title would be more a traditional TV title - only defended on TV, and vacated after a number of successful defenses. Used as a stepping stone.

Me too, a nice call back to the WCW Saturday Night style run of sleeper hits between odd pairings. Shame it's devolved into Cody being heavyweight champ without being heavyweight champ. Rather that than Cody vs indy randoms based on Twitter followers. At least acting like a TV title would define it from the big-show-only World title. AEW are still a bit ropey on their running gimmicks. Why FTR went for 20 mins at a time for their "brush with greatness" instead of 10 which would play much more into heeldom by deliberately stacking the odds in their favour, I don't know.

• Paid Members

Yeah not a fan of the Brush With Greatness angle as 20 minutes is a full match, hardly a brush. TV matches should rarely exceed 10 minutes. Not much of it really makes much sense at the moment and it's resulting in shite like the TH2 match last week.

Are they booking themselves in any way? If so it certainly shows that there's a sweet spot inbetween WWE booking talent and talent booking itself. After hearing them on podcasts talking about their time in WWE it really came across like they'd want some creative power.

16 minutes ago, Love-Wilcox said:

I think most guys in AEW are booking themselves in the loose sense of they are actively encouraged to come up with their own ideas and if those ideas are deemed good enough then they're allowed to run with it.

That's true. It's a shame they run with ideas like "I wrestle this guy for 20 minutes. Then I wrestle this for 15. Then this guy for 20. Then this guy for 25 at the PPV" etc, when their best stuff is 5-10 minute angles. Then again, a reduced roster means a degree of airtime filler, plus some acts need the in ring investment to polish them up for long term success, like Jungle Boy.

Yeah they have only PAC who isn’t appearing at present, rosters jammed. 

watching BTE this week, the stuff with Hangman is taking me back to a lot of the superb garnishing of stories they would do on BtE for stuff on ROH and new Japan shows. But it really shouldn’t be this way, this should be badged and visible on aew product so everyone is on the same journey. I know Khan ain’t a fan of a lot of skits, but surely this could be on dark or just segments on their official pages? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Are they booking themselves in any way? If so it certainly shows that there's a sweet spot inbetween WWE booking talent and talent booking itself. After hearing them on podcasts talking about their time in WWE it really came across like they'd want some creative power.

From various podcasts the booking of AEW seems to be the product of a combination of Tony Khan, the EVPs and Brandon Cutler writing most the stuff with talent encouraged to pitch storylines and come up with feuds/angles for their characters with everything getting final approval from Khan. Jericho seems to be the exception in that he writes all his own stuff which he gives straight to Khan for final approval. So talent (especially probably the higher paid guys like FTR you would imagine) have a big say in their creative for sure.

Hustle's class. I've only seen him at HOPE but he was their champion for ages and is a fantastic piece of shit heel but he was cool enough that my kids were cheering for him, the fucking smarks. He's always done a lot of cool stuff with video editing in his promos and reinvents himself a lot. Would love to see him get noticed off the back of this.

1 hour ago, kamicazze said:

I know not many people would be fond of this though I would love to see heel RVD in AEW. Could see him aligning with team Taz. Worse case scenario he comes in for an AEW open challenge. 

Was there any reason he didn't go back to WWE? No interest on their side or him not wanting to travel? Just wondered if there might be an opportunity there while they're not actually running a full tour.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Was there any reason he didn't go back to WWE? No interest on their side or him not wanting to travel? Just wondered if there might be an opportunity there while they're not actually running a full tour.

Failed concussion testing, I believe.

• Paid Members

Was this the anniversary show? I haven't watched either NXT or Dynamite this week, I've only had time to read the write ups but it doesn't seem like much of note happened. Nothing from the write ups made it sound must see to me. 

No comments in this thread before lunch could be an indicator, not so much no posts in the NXT thread as that doesn't carry much traffic at all these days. 

I saw the bracket for the tourney, shame that Fenix vs Penta is first round, but i suppose you'd struggle to do both that match and Hangman / Omega. Although, i would have liked Hangman and Omega to avoid each other in the tourney.