The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Serena Deeb was a highlight. I want to see more. She got some fire, intensity and technically very gifted. Never knew she was so versatile.

It had it’s flawes, but that felt like a fight to me and not some perfectly phony choreographed standard women’s match.

• Paid Members

Luther in that main event may go down as one of the worst Dynamite main event performances we’ll ever see. I know it was what Jericho wanted but it was bad.

i enjoyed the tag title match. Far from a Jack Evans fan boy, but it was clear a lot of the sloppiness was due to the injury early on

Hobbs is new to me, but thought him and Cage had a good un.

The dog collar match lived up to the hype. Really interesting to see. 

I don’t get Swole 🤷‍♂️

9 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Luther in that main event may go down as one of the worst Dynamite main event performances we’ll ever see. I know it was what Jericho wanted but it was bad.

i enjoyed the tag title match. Far from a Jack Evans fan boy, but it was clear a lot of the sloppiness was due to the injury early on

Hobbs is new to me, but thought him and Cage had a good un.

The dog collar match lived up to the hype. Really interesting to see. 

I don’t get Swole 🤷‍♂️

Totally with you on Swole. She’s not a particularly good promo and she’s not great in the ring. Serena Deeb has looked really good so far though, on the other hand. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Supremo said:

Hangman and Omega in the finals of the tournament at Full Gear would be delightful. Let both guys smash everyone leading into the PPV and I’m all in.

I really disagree with this one. Have Omega win the thing and Hangman lose in the semi-finals. Possibly have The Bucks cost Hangman in the tournament as payback. Either way, Hangman/Omega will be their biggest storyline match ever, and they're not ready to pull the trigger. They've got a ways to go yet. Full Gear would be way too soon.

Overall, I enjoyed this episode a lot. The dog collar match was brutal but never felt over-the-top. Oddly, I loved Valentine watching - he looked mildly disturbed the entire time, which worked great after he was introduced as 'Dog Collar Match survivor'. The idea that he's still traumatised, decades later.

TH2 can get fucked, obviously. Although while Luther was coming across like a tired old man, I enjoyed the main event more than I expected. It was Jericho doing a favour for a mate, and I was fine with that. I now never want to see Luther on Dynamite again.

• Paid Members

You obviously have more patience than me. Whilst I appreciate the slow build and subtleties, I’m also like a kid who can’t contain their excitement for Christmas. I need an Omega vs. Hangman match!

Don’t get me wrong. It wouldn’t be the blow off. In my head I had Hangman and Kenny going to the finals, with Hangman eventually losing because he’s too nice and tentative, the moment too big for him, his relationship with Omega too hard to overcome, whereas Kenny finally snaps and violently bosses Hangman, proving he was always a horrible prick and Hangman was foolish to cherish their friendship. Then Kenny can win the belt and Hangman can rebuild himself for the Title victory down the line.

Fuck me though. The amount of fantasy booking and interesting directions you can come up with when watching AEW, is it any wonder NXT can’t catch up? They’ve got practically nothing going on, whereas I’m forever trying to figure out how we get to The Bucks vs. FTR, Omega vs. Hangman or Jericho vs. MJF, etc.

Edited by Supremo

Omega vs hangman is your all out main event next year, and if they have any sense, hangman beats him in 30 seconds....... 

Actually, barring injuries, it seems like aew have the next year and a bit of champions lined up, it obviously goes - omega - hangman - mjf, must be a bit weird if your just underneath them on the card..... 

Edited by poetofthedeed

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Don’t get me wrong. It wouldn’t be the blow off. In my head I had Hangman and Kenny going to the finals, with Hangman eventually losing because he’s too nice and tentative, the moment too big for him, his relationship with Omega too hard to overcome, whereas Kenny finally snaps and violently bosses Hangman, proving he was always a horrible prick and Hangman was foolish to cherish their friendship. Then Kenny can win the belt and Hangman can rebuild himself for the Title victory down the line.

Don't get me wrong, I like that. But as much as 'wins and losses matter' was jokes about for a long time, this is a story about two guys who lost their big matches and lost their confidence. Hangman never got over his loss to Jericho. Omega was meant to be the Ace and lost to Jericho, then Pac, then Moxley. They won together as a team, but Hangman's confidence was slowly destroyed by it, while Kenny's grew.

Omega's whole thing right now is that Hangman doesn't deserve to win the tournament, while he's going to boss it. That's got so much meat for them both, character-wise. If Omega does exactly what he says he's going to, while claiming Hangman can't, well, hang, and Hangman doesn't make the final, that's just going to make you hate Omega more and feel worse for Hangman. Split them both apart for a while then, and have Hangman in another feud where he regains his confidence (while Omega wins the title). I want to see Hangman redeem his loss to Jericho, and finally beat the shit out of Matt Jackson before he gets anywhere near Omega.

• Paid Members

I can understand the storyline logic of holding off on a Hangman/Omega match completely but at the end of the day, it's wrestling not The Sopranos, if you can do the match at a good enough time you should probably just do the match. With the way wrestling constantly changes and external forces, injuries etc. sometimes you can only hold off on big matches for so long before you risk fucking it up. The Shield triple threat being the perfect example of this. 

Personally, I really, really want to see the match and soon. If Omega is going to be the top heel he needs to destroy Hangman to push himself over the top. Until he does this he's not going to feel like a main eventer and nothing else will do it. Plus the match will be amazing and Page having to slowly build himself back up to hopefully beat the dominant heel champion Omega in a years time or whatever will be gold.

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Personally, I really, really want to see the match and soon. If Omega is going to be the top heel he needs to destroy Hangman to push himself over the top. Until he does this he's not going to feel like a main eventer and nothing else will do it. Plus the match will be amazing and Page having to slowly build himself back up to hopefully beat the dominant heel champion Omega in a years time or whatever will be gold.

Yep, that's definitely the best way of prolonging the feud rather than just 'okay let's drag it out so they don't have a match forever'. The rematch revenge story is a really enjoyable one when it's told right and there's so much potential between these two guys.

2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

What? Why would that make sense?! That would be horrendously received.

Because I don't care about logic when I'm fantasy booking, and I have zero interest in a kenny omega singles run..... EXCEPT that it leads to the inevitable crowning of our Lord and saviour Adam Page...... 

I hope if we have crowds by then he enters on a pickup, throwing watermelon slices....... 

That Everton Shirt Guy still manages to get his wanky fucking face on telly most weeks, sitting in the nose bleeds during a fucking pandemic. That's been the worst part of the show for the last few weeks for me. 

That said, I did fall asleep just before the main event this week and woke up for the final angle. I'm usually down for AEW's silliness but I find the Jericho/MJF interactions, just a bit awkward and cringey.

3 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

That Everton Shirt Guy still manages to get his wanky fucking face on telly most weeks, sitting in the nose bleeds during a fucking pandemic. That's been the worst part of the show for the last few weeks for me. 

They did a thing a couple of months back (might’ve been around Fyter Fest) where they “invited” some NXT fans to check out the show. As soon as I read about it I thought “I bet that fucking Everton guys there”, and low & behold, there he was. I think he’s been there ever since they started having a crowd in attendance