The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Cody has been a genuine main event player for about 2 years now in my view - as I said during the EOY awards.....some scoffed, but I think he's going to be one of the big stars of the next wrestling  boom period that I'm convinced starts now.

Doesn't make sense for him to go over Jericho yet though, but a great headline fued for the first month of TV.

• Paid Members

There's an interesting story to be told with Cody as the suit-wearing, respectable face of AEW, the owner with the most skin in the game, taking exception to the way Jericho behaves - when Cody's putting his reputation on the line and risking everything to start up AEW, does he really want to see Jericho getting drunk and losing the title? It could be a fun dynamic, and makes for a compelling story with a lot of room to tread the hinterland between kayfabe and reality, which is often when wrestling's at its best.

But if the build to Dustin vs. Cody taught us anything, it's that Cody will climb a try to invent a story no one wanted rather than stand on the ground and stick to the basics.

1 hour ago, Sexy Dad said:

Surely just a nod to Vince McMahon publicly saying that his product has graduated past blood and guts? I don't think AEW are including that to try and appear as a shinier CZW. 

Why not? They've been showcasing CZW-lite matches on all their PPV's so far (which I'm not against).

I just think there's going to potentially be a disconnect between what we've seen so far and what we get on a more regulated TV show, I'm actually really interested to see how they play it and if future PPV's carry on as they have been, more or less.

49 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

There's an interesting story to be told with Cody as the suit-wearing, respectable face of AEW, the owner with the most skin in the game, taking exception to the way Jericho behaves - when Cody's putting his reputation on the line and risking everything to start up AEW, does he really want to see Jericho getting drunk and losing the title? It could be a fun dynamic, and makes for a compelling story with a lot of room to tread the hinterland between kayfabe and reality, which is often when wrestling's at its best.

But if the build to Dustin vs. Cody taught us anything, it's that Cody will climb a try to invent a story no one wanted rather than stand on the ground and stick to the basics.

It's also quite a difficult story to tell when audiences have almost been conditioned to see the owners (and company people) as the bad guys. I'm hoping that they mostly stay away from referencing Cody's role behind the scenes. Same with Omega and the Bucks. It's been done to death.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

It's also quite a difficult story to tell when audiences have almost been conditioned to see the owners (and company people) as the bad guys. I'm hoping that they mostly stay away from referencing Cody's role behind the scenes. Same with Omega and the Bucks. It's been done to death.

I hope they can as well - and so far, on the PPVs, they have done, but the YouTube stuff is a different story. So it remains to be seen which way their TV leads, but given how "informed" their core fanbase are, I don't think there's any way they can completely ignore it - so either they openly acknowledge it, or it's a bit nudge-nudge wink-wink.

I think for as long as AEW can keep up the sense of being the shiny new toy, the company itself is a babyface, so they're not risking the bosses being heels. It's only when they inevitably have to start making difficult decisions, or when the audience realise they can't be all things to all men, that they'll be turned on. The notion of a heel boss is, in the grand scheme of things, a recent development - historically, the promoter was generally a mostly benign, but always babyface, presence. 

• Paid Members

Before they do that, perhaps there'd be some value in having Jericho insist on a title vs. ownership stipulation, leading to months of Jericho abusing his power hideously, kicking out Cody, only for him to come back a la Mr. America style and win it back. Then give up with the boss thing.

• Paid Members

I think, if they run with the Elite, Brandi and Cody as owners on TV (and, to some extent, you'd think they have to acknowledge it), there needs to be a clear delineation of roles. I don't want a TNA situation where there's six different authority figures and an impossibly labyrinthine power structure, or a mid-00s WWE situation where half the angles seem to be built around contract law, but if they're going to be bosses and wrestlers, give some clear definition of the extent of their authority, and stick to it.

• Paid Members

Personally, I'd like to see that one storyline that I described above, basically a load of smoke and mirrors to really give Jericho that heel edge, so as to build him up for dethronement. Doesn't even have to be Cody, could be whichever new young star they want to push. And then, once they're done with it, hand it over to a Jack Tunney-type figure and make as little reference as possible to it, and only when doing special angles that need a little deus ex machina justification, forever.

• Paid Members

I was just thinking about that this morning watching that "Road to" video. The matches are just getting made. There's no allusion so far to any authority figures. Long may that continue. We know these guys run the company but hopefully they keep up the impression that there is a matchmaker, maybe Tony Khan, who has authority over them - without ever saying anything of the sort because no-one cares.

Why is the Cody Jericho match happening? I know they have no TV so it’s hard to do storylines but I’m assuming it’s been set up on a YouTube show I don’t watch?  Cody is my favourite in the company and his story stuff is always better than everyone else’s so looking forward to it.