The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

22 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Credit to them for acting so quickly and making a storyline out of it. Maybe they can use it to kickstart his next feud, with the, “culprit,” showing up with the belt to start the first TNT show.

Well an actual police report was filed so we know it’s not a storyline, if it turns up on eBay or is recovered the storyline would look a bit daft.

Would make a lot more sense for Cody to be furious that Jericho lost the top prize in the company he is trying to build. “I didn’t want to put myself in the title picture but now I have no choice” kinda deal

• Paid Members

They do an incredible job with these videos of making the previous event and all the matches look like the best thing you've ever seen. Great stuff. That long shot of Pac bouncing up is the business.

Skiavone is a great shout for hosting this stuff. Such a shame his credibility went in the toilet along with WCW because he's got one of the great wrestling voices. Insane that WWE have been crying out for announcers for the past 18 years while he's been doing next to nothing.

I've been thinking a lot of what their TV will look like. Being 100% honest, I can only envisage it being TNA in front of bigger crowds. Just because the impression I get is that they both see that as what wrestling should be - like the WWF from about 2000.

One thing I really like so far is how they've made sure to tell you what's coming. The big stars in action, the women's title, the tag tournament. I hope they can continue that because that's been sorely missing for years. They've done that well so far with making matches for a couple of shows down the line either specifically or through stipulations on the upcoming show. That helps with not putting everyone on every show while giving them focus because they're relevent. It's almost UFC-like.

The biggest things about the TV shows are they are going to test their ability to tell a story. We've only seen that in bits so far. The Cody/Spears angle was well done, well followed up on and well finished. Cody and Dustin wasn't so much. That was weak, harking on about nonsense when they've have a built in history. That's going to be a huge test when they've got to tell several every week. WWE can't tell a story to save their lives. Booking week to week kills them. TNA could never tell a story because they had to pick every next chapter from a different book to shock people. I'm really interested in this element most of all. We know the matches will generally be somewhere between alright and very good. We know the crowds will be big and enthusiastic (initially anyway). We've got the feel for the quality they can produce in videos and pre-tapes. Telling a bunch of stories through live promos, angles and emphasis is a big test.

Booking week to week is a challenge for any company really. It's one thing to book these big shows and fill the in-between with YouTube videos and whatnot, but when you're having to deliver decent ratings and keep an audience week on week then it's a whole different ball game.

Not saying it's impossible, but it is a constant difficulty that could quickly trip them up if they're not careful. 

They have the talent - both in-ring and behind the scenes - as well as all the elements to make a decent product. Whether they can keep it all together in any consistent manner is another thing. They're in a decent position to learn from the mistakes of others.

11 hours ago, Merzbow said:

It starts with some utter knobber screaming how he wants "Blood & Guts", he likely ain't getting that on TNT.

Surely just a nod to Vince McMahon publicly saying that his product has graduated past blood and guts? I don't think AEW are including that to try and appear as a shinier CZW. 

• Paid Members

They've been low-key building up Cody/Jericho since before Double or Nothing. This is immediately the most interested I've been in a Jericho match in a long time, too. I reckon he and Cody will mesh really well with storytelling and build. Partly, the fact that Cody can be a sneaky shit at times adds to it - if he was purely meat-and-potatoes babyface, it wouldn't work as well.

One thing AEW has been doing really well so far is building up that opponents have beef with each other. It's something that WWE were failing badly at until I stopped watching.