The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Yeah, that image definitely looks like a “cast” photo/“the people behind AEW” as well as ticking all the PC appropriate boxes with who’s in it. Which might not have been chosen by them, themselves, who knows. If these guys have decided to present themselves in this fashion with the ultimate goal of attracting viewers to their wrestling tv show though I’d say it’s a mis-step. Yeah, it looks very different to a WWE style presentation (they’re actual product isn’t particularly), but it just looks like it’s the cast of any other tv show. That image isn’t going to grab the attention of anyone who’s got even a slight interest in wrestling or in them to have. To be honest, if I saw a wrestling tv show I wasn’t aware of listed and that image associated with it, I may not even bother.

Maybe that’s just me and what I like. I always thought that WWE image was class. Something like that, as mentioned, with Pentagon, Luchasaurus + Jungle Boy, Mox with the barbed wire wrapped round his forearm, MJF, Cody and The Bucks, Awesome Kong, Jericho, CIMA all in their gear doing their appropriate poses would certainly grab me and have me curious. Group of diverse, colourful characters, some like they’re straight out of a comic book, some you might recognise from the other wrestling and so on. People will always be drawn to an image, especially one like that even if it’s not for you. The visuals and aesthetic you can create with wrestling are a powerful tool to attract potential fans and interest and can tell you immediately, exactly what the product is.

16 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Yeah, to me it's a terrible representation of what AEW actually is. It wouldn't sell it to me. But hey maybe that's what TV Guide wanted, and any exposure is good exposure.

Defenders on Twitter are saying that the photo was for 'TV critics and execs, not fans'.
I don't care who it was for - you think Vince, if he had the opportunity to promote WWE in whatever platform, is not going to send a bunch of wrestlers in their gear to promote it!?

29 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Defenders on Twitter are saying that the photo was for 'TV critics and execs, not fans'.

I think that’s pretty obvious, because the posters they do put out for fans are totally different. 

• Paid Members

I understand the view that the photo was for the TV executives etc, but isn't "TV Guide" just the same as the Radio Times/TV Times is over here? A magazine for people people who watch TV to see what is being broadcast and when? If that is the case(I honestly don't know if it is, or a TV industry trade mag etc) then they would have been better having a more traditional wrestling photo. Then again, I assume it's an independent magazine, so they may have had no control over the photos used...

They were at a tv event and a magazine asked for a group picture. No need to over think it or tear it apart for pages on end 

• Paid Members

Yeah. I'm probably as guilty as anyone for over-analysing stuff, but the reaction to that TV Guide pic has been crazy.

Beyond being happy that the TV Guide are interested enough in a new wrestling group to feature them, and being happy to see Jungle Boy, nothing else even crossed my mind.

Meltzer has hinted they might record an episode of their TNT show when they go on the Jericho Cruise. Fantastic idea.

Edited by Supremo

12 hours ago, Louch said:

They were at a tv event and a magazine asked for a group picture. No need to over think it or tear it apart for pages on end 

In fairness most of the talk in between AEW shows is exactly this. It's rare that we have the opportunity to see a genuine new competitor rise up. Over analysis is built into us as wrestling fans. Especially ones on a wrestling forum. We're the Shawn Michaels' chin gang.

Should we over analyse everything? No. Will we? Absolutely. To steal from the big man himself - that's what we do.

That and there's not much to talk about when they haven't started the weekly show yet.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

In fairness most of the talk in between AEW shows is exactly this. It's rare that we have the opportunity to see a genuine new competitor rise up. Over analysis is built into us as wrestling fans. Especially ones on a wrestling forum. We're the Shawn Michaels' chin gang.

Should we over analyse everything? No. Will we? Absolutely. To steal from the big man himself - that's what we do.

That and there's not much to talk about when they haven't started the weekly show yet.

Kneejerk reaction will very much be the order of the day. We've already had daft cunts pronouncing they were "done" after that glorified house show they ran at the Festival. That's the world now. Instant overreaction or hyperbole whether you asked for it or not.

When Nitro first launched in 1995, it was hit and miss for the first year. Particularly when they first went to two hours, they weren't at all prepared for it and the roster and presentation was very, very weak. It was masked by a cracking start to the nWo angle but it took a while before they really found their formula. The WWF took even longer in response. Throughout 1997, they produced some great TV and some absolute dross. It looked a different promotion week to week. It was long into 1998 before they hit upon the formula but that didn't stop them producing truly incredile and memorable matches and interviews throughout the prior year.

This won't suddenly be brilliant out of the gate. They'll make loads of mistakes. Some of it will be shit. That doesn't bother me so much. I've spent the last 15 years getting what I can out of it so it will be no different to how I've viewed WWE or TNA or WWECW or NXT over that time. I'm hoping the good outweighs the bad initially and they get into their stride and produce a product that is well supported enough to be sustainable and creates some real stars.

That's the number one thing I miss in wrestling. Real stars I want to tune in to see every week. Not had that for too long.