The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

1 minute ago, Merzbow said:

It's not exactly punching down when the company is run by a billionaire.

It wasnā€™t aĀ billionaire running his mouth, it was Kenny Omega. Like it was lame when Seth was bragging about how much money he makes, but was cool how Djokovic stood up for himselfĀ 

Kenny Omega, a proxy for a billionaire then.

Look, I want AEW to succeed but there's absolutely nothing about them which is an "underdog". Tony Kahn isn't any different to any other mega rich fucker, he's just one that's been pretty good at portraying himself as an everyman where most that try fail miserably.

13 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Look, I want AEW to succeed but there's absolutely nothing about them which is an "underdog". Tony Kahn isn't any different to any other mega rich fucker, he's just one that's been pretty good at portraying himself as an everyman where most that try fail miserably.

Other than Jericho and Moxley they have no name talent. Hardly equal to WWEs named value talent and established marketing machine are they. Money doesn't equal experience, market knowledge etc.Ā 

10 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Their public perception is totally that of underdog, regardless if they actually are. Presentation is important. Yeah itā€™ll be more fun if Triple just ripped into AEW, but it wouldnā€™t be a strong look at allĀ 

8 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Their public perception is totally that of underdog, regardless if they actually are. Presentation is important. Yeah itā€™ll be more fun if Triple just ripped into AEW, but it wouldnā€™t be a strong look at allĀ 

I in no way thought it would be, I just wanted to see it for my own amusement. In all seriousness I want to see both companies flourish with the wrestlers getting better and better paydays and treatment, but I also want to see an all out vicious war between those at the top at the same time.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Agree for the most part, but one thing to bear in mind is that WWE's market dominance is pretty much unassailable. We even talk on here about how no other company should be trying to beat WWE, just try to carve out their own niche and pick up what fans they can.Ā 

When peopleĀ talk about wrestling these days, the first thing that comes to mind for the majority of fans and non-fans is "WWE/WWF". That kind of brand recognition immediately puts any other wrestling company on the back foot, so in that regard alone, they are the underdog.

Ā 

• Paid Members

Also, WWE have a set-up that they've built over decades. Preferred relationships with venues and media organisations aren't something you can buy straight away. Plus, whilst it is indeed impressive that AEW have virtually been created overnight to become a second competitor whom wrestlers can consider a viable second employment option, they're a long way off establishing themselves to a point that they'll be able to start attracting a bigger portion of the star talent market, which will also be a factor in them getting anywhere. Not one for football analogies in wrestling normally, but this would be a bit like viewing clubs like Rushden & Diamonds as being on a par with Premiership clubs because they had rich owners at the time.