AEW All Out

Supremo

Havoc struck me as the sort who could've been a Jeff Hardy type about a decade ago - engaging, 'alternative', not the most unattractive and can actually go in the ring as well. I didn't see him at Triple X's cousin AMP Wrestling but I know he was booked for that which was supposed to be a fairly family-friendly setup, and I could definitely see his appeal in that role as a risk-taker. 

Now though, I'm really not sure who he appeals to in a mainstream sense unless they're trying to get in those PROGRESS fans mentioned previously which, let's be honest, is a pretty small target to aim for.

Edited by Daaaaaad!

52 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I really like Havoc, but his strength comes more in his creativity than in coming across as a hard-man brawler (which isn't his shtick at all)...

If he's England's Most Dangerous Man, we better not get in any military skirmishes any time soon, because we'll get our asses waxed.

36 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Deathmatch wrestling is still strong in the US

So whilst you probably won't see the amount of bloodshed and destruction that happens on these (very popular) shows, the deathmatch guys are working hard to get rid of that stink left by the likes of CZW and IWA-MS.

Could you expand on that?

Not being an arse here, just wondering what sort of crowds these dedicated DM shows are drawing roughly? It's all relative as its never going to be anything but niche.

3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I don't think you're being misunderstood. The fighting being the worst part of a backstage fight makes it pretty hard to take anything from it. Your analogy doesnt work. It's not a problem that the lady doesn't have a pretty face. It's that he's got a big cock and hairy balls.

It was a short clip before an amazing promo, so I didn’t get too hung up on it. Some shit punches with a few other bits that I liked. 

I didn’t actually come up with the lady analogy in the first place, but if you wanna go there I wouldn’t mind as long as her cock wasn’t bigger than mine  

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Could you expand on that?

Not being an arse here, just wondering what sort of crowds these dedicated DM shows are drawing roughly? It's all relative as its never going to be anything but niche.

Oh it's definitely a niche, not saying that it's going to be putting your casuals in seats and drawing in the kids anytime soon, but the popularity and image of these shows has improved and thus so has attendances. I can't give a number as they're not available (and I'm crap at estimating crowds) but the DM shows that GCW run look just as packed as any other popular indy show these days.

If AEW want to succeed in today's modern market, aiming for niche fan bases whilst maintaining their main goal of making the casual/lapsed fans tune it is a great strategy.

• Paid Members

GCW ran the Voltage Lounge in Philadelphia recently, which has a capacity of 300-400 depending on the layout, and the House of Independents in New Jersey, which has a 275-300 capacity, so I think you can make a reasonable guess at them drawing around the 200-250 mark as a matter of course, with anything up to 1000 or more for their Wrestlemania weekend shows. 

I don't know how many were at Tournament of Survival, because I can't find details of what part of the venue they used, but that would be the best gauge for purely deathmatch stuff. Last year's was estimated to draw a crowd of somewhere between 950-1200 based on different reports. Pretty respectable by US indie standards.

That only tells half the story, though - I'd be interested to know what kind of viewing figures they get on Fite.TV, but I don't know if that's released anywhere.

4 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

If AEW want to succeed in today's modern market, aiming for niche fan bases whilst maintaining their main goal of making the casual/lapsed fans tune it is a great strategy.

Depends if the niche being on the show puts other people of the product as a whole.

If they do an authentic actual deathmatch then they'd lose sponsors and casual fans like the plague is in town.

12 minutes ago, Loki said:

Depends if the niche being on the show puts other people of the product as a whole.

If they do an authentic actual deathmatch then they'd lose sponsors and casual fans like the plague is in town.

I think they're gonna flirt with that, but only on PPV. I'd be very surprised if anything approaching that makes TV.

The Starrcast III pass is £27.99 on Roku right now (£38.99 on the iPhone app for some reason) and you get Starrcast I and II for free when you buy it. 

Which brings me to my question...what recommendations do you have for things to watch from the second Starrcast? I started watching the Dustin Rhodes interview but I found the host a tad awkward (he comes out and starts telling jokes to complete silence...truth be told I switched off before Rhodes even came out)

Other than that short burst I’ve not watched anything. Any gems from that show?

25 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

@IANdrewDiceClay I believe watched a lot of stuff from Starrcast II, he’d be able to make suggestions I’m sure and @Liam O'Rourke was part of the Pillman Panel, which although I still need to watch that I’ve heard great things about it

I’ll definitely check out the Pillman panel. I really enjoyed Crazy Like a Fox despite knowing sod all about Pillman’s body of work. Easily the best wrestling book since Hardcore Holly’s excellent autobiography.

• Paid Members

The Pillman panel is fantastic, you should watch that for sure. Liam is great on it. Most of the podcasters bomb massively on these things, but he had everyones respect who was on the panel with him and he added massively to the discussion.

Arn Andersons was hilarious, you got to check that out. He's made the decision that in his 60s he'll expose the business and not pretend its real, so you're in for a treat. Skip "Remember Owen." Its uncomfortable and pointless. No real funny stories, but talking about him falling. Sting's Behind the Paint is decent. Tony Schiavone is hosting, so Sting is comfortable and open. JR and King's show is crap. Nitro's 83 weeks would have been great if Bischoff wasnt on it.

The Bret Hart one is fascinating in that its just Bret talking about how great he is and talking about how shit Tom MaGee was, with Tom sitting right there. They then watch the match, which is interesting, when they actually bother talking.

RVD and Jerry Lynn do a Q&A, with RVD's new girlfriend on stage with him holding his hand for 90 minutes. The word's "pussy whipped" should have flashed on screen.

Basically, if you have a chance to get I & II for free, snap their hands off. You're getting so much content.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Which brings me to my question...what recommendations do you have for things to watch from the second Starrcast? I started watching the Dustin Rhodes interview but I found the host a tad awkward (he comes out and starts telling jokes to complete silence...truth be told I switched off before Rhodes even came out)

If you want a Dustin interview, recent pod with Jericho was pretty good.