AEW All Out

Supremo

5 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

It'll be worth it for when he doesn't show up.

It should be all but confirmed now that he’s not showing up because as somebody mentioned earlier in the thread, this Starrcast announcement ruins any element of surprise. 

• Paid Members

If I recall correctly, RAW popped a BIG number when they announced that Triple H would be making his long-awaited return in 2002. Announcing CM Punk as the newest acquisition and advertising his first official appearance for the debut episode of AEW's TV show would be very sensible and very effective. Not everything has to be a surprise.

• Paid Members

I agree that announcing things beforehand is much better business. I don't agree that a surprise appearance is conducive to bad business.

If you have Punk do some kind of surprise run-in on one of the main-event opponents at the end of the show, that is both a surprise appearance that pops the fans, and an announcement that gets them in for the next show. I'm fairly sure we've all seen this before, and know that this is possible. 

All academic, though. I really don't think he's joining AEW. 

If, and it's the biggest if ever, he was going to go to AEW, him showing up right at the very last second of the PPV, just standing on the stage or something, would ensure a big audience for their first TV show, assuming there's no more shows inbetween All Out and the first episode of TV.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

AEW is a business trying to make money. 

We don’t really have any confirmation of that - their pre-shows suggest they don’t really give a shit about making money at this point, their focus is on building a brand. Albeit a rather messy, unfocused brand as of yet, but they’re very new. And they’re doing alright on their big shows just from their existing audience. It might be that establishing AEW as the kind of promotion that has surprises like CM Punk turning up is more important to them than promoting the first CM Punk appearance in advance. 

Whether they did it as a surprise, or promoted the hell out of it beforehand, getting Punk would be a huge deal for them, and I’d hope they’re at least trying their hardest to pull it off.

The downside is, it’s a bit of an uninspiring roster for him to go against. He’s wrestled Jericho loads already. He wrestled the Shield a lot, and I could easily see an insidery “I’m better than you at moaning about WWE” feud with Moxley being a disappointment. Punk vs Omega is the big one for me, but it does seem like Kenny is coming off less and less a star with every show. Hopefully All Out turns it around for him.

• Paid Members

I imagine Jericho is winning. The heel has to go into the new show as champion, since this is wrestling and you have to have the dragon to slay. But poor Hangman Page is their James Storm. Seemed to have something, and they havent hid his weaknesses. All In, Joey Ryan stole his heat. Double or Nothing, MJF outshone him. And the last two shows, he's looked very underwhelming. I hope for his sake he puts on his best performance of his life against Jericho.

I think it's easy to forget that Adam Page was pretty much a nobody just a few months ago (to those that don't watch BTE at least) and honestly I think they're doing a great job of presenting him as a star of the (hopefully near) future. It's obvious that he's losing to Jericho but as long as it's a close one and Page puts in a solid performance then I can't see too much negativity in a loss to someone with Jericho's history and stature, especially as Hangman turns a mere 28 in just a few days. There's plenty of time for him to grow into the superstar that his friends reckon he can be.

Edited by Love-Wilcox

30 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

We don’t really have any confirmation of that - their pre-shows suggest they don’t really give a shit about making money at this point, their focus is on building a brand. 

iha0u1iwc0n21.jpg

When road agents get their own merch, it is obvious AEW are here to make money.