Jump to content
Supremo

AEW All Out

Recommended Posts

Given Punk's history of throwing his toys out of the pram when he's not in the main event, do they really want to risk upsetting the apple cart hiring him? By all accounts there's a very collaborative and easy-going atmosphere in the dressing room, I'm not sure Mr Tour Bus to Himself would contribute positively to that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Undefeated Steak said:

I'm out of the loop - how are they managing to sell 12,000 tickets in 15 minutes?

The card looks good and I've heard positive things about the shows, but it just seems *so far* ahead of what any other American non-WWE company have done in the past however many years.

I don't think TNA or ROH ever came close to doing the numbers AEW are, even at their heights as relatively established companies.

Branding and marketing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a tenner that says Punk is anonymously playing one of those Dark Order gimps at All Out. He probably all ready has on the previous three shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Undefeated Steak said:

I'm out of the loop - how are they managing to sell 12,000 tickets in 15 minutes?

Because All In changed the business

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@UK Kat Von D Fair play to them if that's what it's down to. Always thought for an industry that spends so much time talking about selling tickets, most companies do a terrible job at marketing and advertising themselves and their products/events. 

I've obviously missed a lot of their marketing as the little I've seen hasn't been too dissimilar to what we've seen before. I know they've got big financial backing so I guess they're willing to spend on actually pushing their events. 

Sound like they know what they're doing. The best booking in the world isn't enough to create a successful long term business without a solid model.

Edited by Undefeated Steak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I've got a tenner that says Punk is anonymously playing one of those Dark Order gimps at All Out. He probably all ready has on the previous three shows.

They were all shirtless. He's got a bit of a giveaway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

They were all shirtless. He's got a bit of a giveaway.

The art of distraction. They were very subtle but if you look closer...

Untitled.png.d1af60437cc3edeb21903d01a63ce783.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

They were all shirtless. He's got a bit of a giveaway.

There was one with a shirt on the last show, which was Jericho who did his “ha ha! I’m in disguise and I’m going to attack you” routine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one thing that the guys behind AEW seem to know far better than TNA and ROH is who they're pitching to, and what their current audience is looking for. For all their longevity, both TNA and ROH have failed to capitalise on any of their strengths on a larger scale. Take TNA for example - their pushing of the X Division and the Knockouts etc ended up being lost in the shuffle with all the ex-WWE guys and trying to compete with WWE etc. While ROH, for me anyway, has struggled in recent years with its own identity and has become far too reliant on relationships with NJPW etc.

AEW has pitched themselves perfectly as the anti-WWE, as well as 'rescuing' some of the talent from there and giving them freedom etc. To the existing fans, they're the good guys and really going against the corporate machine.

However, the long term plan is what's important and where others have fallen down. They need to be able to bring in new viewers, whether those that don't watch wrestling at all or who have stopped or WWE fans that are struggling etc. It's great to have these successful shows but putting on a regular hot product and converting that to decent numbers will be a real test, even if they have the right talent etc. It's a long road ahead of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Punk being at starrcast is more of a reason to believe he won’t be on all out, as takes away the surprise. 

Ideally, if he’s not on the show itself, get him on the pre show talking to the love crowd and do the “maybe one day” tease. Means you don’t get him chanted for all night. . Him showing up will have loads of people clammering to watch and then maybe buying the main show if they see other stuff they like. Just have him be the guy who puts the librarians to sleep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Undefeated Steak said:

I'm out of the loop - how are they managing to sell 12,000 tickets in 15 minutes?

The card looks good and I've heard positive things about the shows, but it just seems *so far* ahead of what any other American non-WWE company have done in the past however many years.

I don't think TNA or ROH ever came close to doing the numbers AEW are, even at their heights as relatively established companies.

This might be my favourite topic of the year - just how well they seem to be doing contrasted to how TNA struggled to make any dent despite the millions pissed away and the number of genuine stars they had in their ranks at various times.

Timing is a big part of this. The casual fans have been completely whittled away from WWE, but a huge number of fans who grew up loving wrestling and thinking they'd be watching WWE forever, me included, have fallen out of watching. They love wrestling, but WWE has fallen so far from what made them love it, it's like a relationship that was once red-hot that has completely lost the magic, and so it's just a couple of people who spend most of their time with their mates, apart or barely speaking to each other - they've completely grown apart. A whole generation of fans thinking about the good times of the past, and all WWE does is tell them they're right. Enjoy the reunion show. And then AEW comes along.

Wrestling fans want to love wrestling, but fundamentally, they have to believe in it. Not that it's real, but that it's actually important. Relevant to the big picture. TNA taping in a studio looked bush league, even if you wanted to believe it was big time, you knew it wasn't because people know what major league weekly wrestling looks like. AEW's first impression was a sold out MGM Grand with great wrestling, some great angles and a genuine big WWE star appearing and giving it relevance. It looked like the red hot pro wrestling people remember. People gravitate to something that's hot because want to be taken for a ride that they feel can be a big deal. TNA never felt that way, so people weren't compelled to pay for it. AEW feels that way to the people aware of it, which is why they did almost double the number of buys on their first try than TNA ever did for a PPV, and more than ECW ever did during a wrestling boom. The real key is how hard TNT push the TV show before October - because new fans need to be made as well as mobilizing the existing niche base, which they have clearly done very well. If they can, this has more chance than anything in two decades. And people know it. They can believe it. And so they're paying attention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

The one thing that the guys behind AEW seem to know far better than TNA and ROH is who they're pitching to, and what their current audience is looking for. For all their longevity, both TNA and ROH have failed to capitalise on any of their strengths on a larger scale. Take TNA for example - their pushing of the X Division and the Knockouts etc ended up being lost in the shuffle with all the ex-WWE guys and trying to compete with WWE etc. While ROH, for me anyway, has struggled in recent years with its own identity and has become far too reliant on relationships with NJPW etc.

AEW has pitched themselves perfectly as the anti-WWE, as well as 'rescuing' some of the talent from there and giving them freedom etc. To the existing fans, they're the good guys and really going against the corporate machine.

However, the long term plan is what's important and where others have fallen down. They need to be able to bring in new viewers, whether those that don't watch wrestling at all or who have stopped or WWE fans that are struggling etc. It's great to have these successful shows but putting on a regular hot product and converting that to decent numbers will be a real test, even if they have the right talent etc. It's a long road ahead of them.

Can you really be against the corporate machine when you’ve got a billionaire backer?

I think Punk has played a bit of a blinder with this Starrcast announcement. He knows that AEW fans are desperate to see him sign with them, when in actuality, he’s probably just doing because Conrad will have offered him a fortune, and he only lives down the road

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Can you really be against the corporate machine when you’ve got a billionaire backer?

No, but that's the perception and the narrative that AEW are doing a great job of selling to their fan-base. It's a great strategy if you want to to market yourself as the alternative, regardless of the financial realities involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Can you really be against the corporate machine when you’ve got a billionaire backer?

It's not "the corporate machine", it's "that corporate machine".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah they're presenting the fact that they've got a more fan-friendly and understanding backer rather than Evil Vince, so as long as they keep playing that card to the right people they'll be fine. But there's only a finite amount of fans that give a shit about that sort of thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...