Vice: Dark Side of the Ring

SuperBacon

• Paid Members

There's a letter on the interweb from Vince agreeing to Warrior's demands and then he fired him as soon as he'd done SummerSlam. He didn't "hold them up". Vince played the game.

Warrior was a piece of shit, that doesn't need a documentary to explain.

I loved Eddie and Benoit, but don’t come to me with the bullshit that Eddie simply died of a ‘heart disease’ at 38.

Plus it looks like Benoit had some kind of a Psychosis. They were jacked at the end.

What kind of stuff were these guys taking?

Jericho signals ‘Heavy drinking and drugs’. What drugs? It’s never mentioned again. 

In short: We barely learn anything new. Jericho, Chavo and Malenko know more than they let us on to.

It’s a very, deliberate, controlled narrative.

Edited by LWOLeN

Well, in a manner of speaking Eddie did die from heart disease (heart attack due to heart disease was his official cause of death). Brought on and amplified by the use of steroids, growth hormone and years of drug and alcohol abuse prior to 2002. Chavo's point was that the death wasn't a relapse.

Eddie was a physical wreck near the end, and was told to retire in 2004 from a broken back in the middle of his title reign, but carried on.

Benoit's drug use apparently picked up in a big way in the last year, but GHB was a big one in the late nineties. In Eddie's obituary in the Observer, Jericho is quoted as saying, "We were all doing that (GHB), it was the designer drug of the time. It always hit Eddie really bad. We just did it to get fucked up. He wasn't addicted. We'd take a shot of it and try and stay awake."

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

Regal was big into the GHB too. I re-read his book there recently enough and he mentioned how you could still buy it in health food shops in the states in the 90's, and he'd get boxes of it delivered to his house and just sit in his bedroom and guzzle it all night. 

I thought this episode was fairly meh, nothing new was told and it had the cheesy production values of an E True Hollywood Story episode. Poor auld David doesn't seem the brightest bulb either and was fairly pointless having as a talking head. As mentioned before, Jericho is off his tits as well. Never seen him look so out of it on TV before. Maybe the second ep will be an improvement.

I saw a clip earlier of Greg Valentine (from a shoot interview) telling a story about Warrior talking him into going twos on holding up a promoter in Austria - I don’t know if it was a local promoter for a WWF show or they were working for someone else, but Nan Hammer tells the story like it was par for the course for Warrior to do that.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

I saw a clip earlier of Greg Valentine (from a shoot interview) telling a story about Warrior talking him into going twos on holding up a promoter in Austria - I don’t know if it was a local promoter for a WWF show or they were working for someone else, but Nan Hammer tells the story like it was par for the course for Warrior to do that.

He did it loads. He held up that NWC promoter in 1995 prior to wrestling the Honky Tonk Man. He agreed to appear for John Arezzi on shows and then asked for more money near the time. He did the same with Jerry Jarrett prior to TNA's first show. He was impossible to do business with, because he was fucking mental. People are mad if they think WWE and Warrior would be still doing business in 2020 if he was still alive. I still say he died of sheer anger at how crap his new coat was that he wore on the Raw after Mania. I nearly clapped out myself.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

7 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Well, in a manner of speaking Eddie did die from heart disease (heart attack due to heart disease was his official cause of death). Brought on and amplified by the use of steroids, growth hormone and years of drug and alcohol abuse prior to 2002. Chavo's point was that the death wasn't a relapse.

Eddie was a physical wreck near the end, and was told to retire in 2004 from a broken back in the middle of his title reign, but carried on.

Benoit's drug use apparently picked up in a big way in the last year, but GHB was a big one in the late nineties. In Eddie's obituary in the Observer, Jericho is quoted as saying, "We were all doing that (GHB), it was the designer drug of the time. It always hit Eddie really bad. We just did it to get fucked up. He wasn't addicted. We'd take a shot of it and try and stay awake."

GHB and steroids are like a great match right in order to produce more testosterone. It also gets you high and fucks up up your heart in the long run.

Thanks for the info. It’s the missing piece of the puzzle that got carefully narrated away from the story in the documentary.

Euphoria it gives you. Getting off it could cause massive psychosis, depression and anxiety.

Chris Adams was known for being a GHB addict right? And I believe he also killed his wife?

I think we need a ‘Pro Wrestling - GHB’ documentary....

Edited by LWOLeN

David Benoit freaks me out. It's all understandable but there's a lot not right with that kid.

There's an interview with him on YouTube with Chris Van Vliet and he's talking about using his Dads name, ring gear etc in his own future wrestling career and wanting to make it to the WWE. Delusional doesn't even begin to explain it.

17 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

There's a letter on the interweb from Vince agreeing to Warrior's demands and then he fired him as soon as he'd done SummerSlam. He didn't "hold them up". Vince played the game.

Warrior was a piece of shit, that doesn't need a documentary to explain.

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/read-the-1991-wwf-suspension-notice-from-vince-mcmahon-to-the-ultimate-warrior-01dme034xrhv

This is the letter in question.

5 hours ago, LWOLeN said:

Chris Adams was known for being a GHB addict right? And I believe he also killed his wife?

I think we need a ‘Pro Wrestling - GHB’ documentary....

Chris Adams was a huge GHB abuser. He didn't kill his wife, but he and his young girlfriend took an overdose of it. He ended up in a hospital, she ended up dead. I believe he was up on a manslaughter charge (as he supplied and administered it) at the time of his death. He was wired up on GHB the night he had a fight with his friend who ended up shooting him dead.