Vice: Dark Side of the Ring

SuperBacon

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Chris Benoit.

The Fabulous Moolah and the allegations against her.

Jimmy Snuka and the murder allegations.

Vince McMahon 1994 steroid trial.

The murder of Dino Bravo.

Droz.

The story of John Farrer's ring

18 hours ago, KJHenley said:

Which is the best/most in-depth Von Erich documentary?

The Lapsed Fan podcasts recent Deep Dive on WCCW is probably the most in depth. Best is subjective like but they have the freedom to do about two days worth of audio on the company. Really worth hearing if you can handle the amount of time you need for it.

• Paid Members

I've actually scene the Moolah one already, and its grim. But she doesnt get half the shit she really should be getting. Cornette is on there and doesnt say a bad word about her. There's a few old women wrestlers, still with mullets that shout at the camera in a very wrestling way that "you dont know anything if you werent there" and all that. Despite the fact it was revealed she pimped women out, she injured women on purpose because she was jealous of anyone taking her spot and pretty much ran the womens side of the business for decades, skimming money off the top, the main gripe seems to be that she double crossed old Wendy. I think they could have emphasized a bit more that Moolah has no redeeming qualities and she was a hateful old bitch.

They need to do one on Vince himself. The underlining thing on all of these documentaries is that Vince is a piece of shit, controlling everythingt hat ever went wrong with anyone. Wonder if they'd have the balls to do a full one on him.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

5 hours ago, Cannibal Man said:

The Lapsed Fan podcasts recent Deep Dive on WCCW is probably the most in depth. Best is subjective like but they have the freedom to do about two days worth of audio on the company. Really worth hearing if you can handle the amount of time you need for it.

Much obliged! Will get stuck into that this week.

16 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I've actually seent he Moolah one already, and its grim. But she doesnt get half the shit she really should be getting. Cornette is on there and doesnt say a bad word about her. There's a few old women wrestlers, still with mullets that shout at the camera in a very wrestling way that "you dont know anything if you werent there" and all that. Despite the fact it was revealed she pimped women out, she injured women on purpose because she was jealous of anyone taking her spot and pretty much ran the womens side of the business for decades, skimming money off the top, the main gripe seems to be that she double crossed old Wendy. I think they could have emphasized a bit more that Moolah has no redeeming qualities and she was a hateful old bitch.

They need to do one on Vince himself. The underlining thing on all of these documentaries is that Vince is a piece of shit, controlling everythingt hat ever went wrong with anyone. Wonder if they'd have the balls to do a full one on him.

Cornette doesn't surprise me at all. He's an utter shithead.

Claiming to have come up with the screwjob after all these years was hilariously desperate. Wish both him and Russo would just fuck off.

19 hours ago, Jacko said:

Whose stories would people like to see if they did a season 2?

Who killed WCW? Done like a Agatha Christie style whodunnit; was it Hulk Hogan? was it Kevin Nash? was it Eric Bischoff or was it Vince Russo in the writer's room with the shitty ideas, bro?

• Paid Members

Its all about if they have the balls to tell a proper story. A WCW one could either be the same done to death shite, featuring stories of DX in a tank or they could try and tell us why Viacom told WWF they werent allowed to buy WCW with Turner apart of the network in October, and 6 months later Turner drops it and then sells to Vince for pennies on the dollar. I'm far from a conspiracy theorist, but you'd have to be mad to think Vince wasnt up to something with that sale.

3 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Its all about if they have the balls to tell a proper story. A WCW one could either be the same done to death shite, featuring stories of DX in a tank or they could try and tell us why Viacom told WWF they werent allowed to buy WCW with Turner apart of the network in October, and 6 months later Turner drops it and then sells to Vince for pennies on the dollar. I'm far from a conspiracy theorist, but you'd have to be mad to think Vince wasnt up to something with that sale.

In the death of WCW book, they mention some guy that Vince conveniently hired from Turner who had been there for years, Stuart Snyder, in June 2000. He had said to people in WCW when Bischoff was lining up his Fusient deal that there was "zero chance" of it going through. He's also the guy that Vince sends to Atlanta to sort out the deal with Turner to buy WCW. 

There's quite a lot of reading between the lines with all this, but at the very least they could delve into it a bit and get some good stuff. It's clearly a bit murky. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Good shout.

I think that story could support a short series, to be honest. It really deserves some in-depth coverage.

At the very least, I'd love to see someone from the Time Warner side try and justify that deal. I mean, not only did they pull out of a FAR more lucrative deal with Fusient, but they then immediately sold to Vince without giving Bischoff any time to react. The company might well have been worthless to him without TV but he never even had time to talk to his backers to see if another offer was viable.

I think Jerry Jarrett wanted to make an offer too but nobody would return his calls.

Instead of getting about ten times the money AND getting rid of all the wrestlers contracts. They got $2.5 million and had to pay a whole bunch of guys to sit at home. All to get rid of the highest rated show on their Network. Plus if you believe Kevin Sullivan then the deal meant that all PPV revenue that hadn't been paid yet went to the WWF, so Time Warner essentially paid the WWF to take it off their hands. *If* you believe Kevin Sullivan, of course.

4 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

As the winner usually gets to tell the story, we have had the WWE's version of events but I would like to see another take on it and these Vice documentaries have been good so far...

• Moderators
22 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Chris Benoit.

The Fabulous Moolah and the allegations against her.

Jimmy Snuka and the murder allegations.

Vince McMahon 1994 steroid trial.

The murder of Dino Bravo.

Droz.

Does Jimmy Valiant wank under a glass table? 

• Paid Members
On 5/12/2019 at 1:05 AM, IANdrewDiceClay said:

When the story of a documentary stars with "our Dad used to play a nazi called Fritz" you know you're onto a winner. Those kids were so fucked up, its amazing so many of them are still alive (1 of them.)

Absolutely. I think in its way one of the maddest parts of the whole Von Erich mess is that while he and his family were playing Good Ol' Texan Boys, Fritz never felt the need to change his name from his actual Nazi gimmick. 

On 5/11/2019 at 10:33 PM, Jacko said:

Whose stories would people like to see if they did a season 2?

The Battle of Atlanta (the Ann Gunkel Georgia wrestling War) 

Jarrett and Lawler take over Memphis in 1977.

Dynamite Kid and Stampede in general. 

The Mid-80s WWF expansion. 

Dino Bravo execution. 

NJPWs dojo system. 

The whole Plan B thing with Bob Roop and the attempted takeover of Southeastern.