The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

The thing I struggle to get my head around with these kind of name changes is the short-sightedness of it.

For the role he's playing right now, Butch isn't a terrible name (it's not great either). But he's a young man, who is clearly very good at a particular style of wresting. It'd take a bit more of a stylistic shift on/at the top of the main roster (one that looks less likely now than it did a year or two ago, granted) but it's not totally out of the realms that this is a guy you're looking at to be champ/main eventing Mania in 5 or 10 years time.

At that point, just "Butch" is an awful name.

• Paid Members

Isn't Ridge Holland still fairly green? Isn't Big E a massive bloke not known for his flipping? Isn't a belly to belly on the floor a fairly massive risk to take considering all that? Isn't that something that an agent should probably say something about?

@air_raid, Garth me bro

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Whatever you think of the, “Butch,” name, I’m flabbergasted at the amount of people asking “why not just call him Pete Dunne?” Take a look at what’s happening in AEW! That’s why!

In the last few months alone we’ve had Adam Cole, William Regal, CM Punk, Jeff Hardy, Keith Lee, Bobby Fish and Kyle O’Reilly, all jumping ship, all being able to use the same name and/or music. It’s no wonder Vince wants better control on all this stuff. It must drive him crazy seeing guys he’s poured money into transferring seamlessly to his greatest competitor of the last twenty years. I bet he hit the fucking roof when that Hardy Boyz music hit on Wednesday.

While you're definitely right about this, I don't buy the logic they apply when doing things like this. If AEW signed Roman Reigns, for example, they'd have to change his name. Would not being able to say "Roman Reigns" make his signing any less impactful? I don't think it would at all. You could point way back to Nash and Hall in WCW - did not having "Diesel" and "Razor Ramon" matter? Heck, more recently, did not being able to say "Dean Ambrose" affect Jon Moxley even slightly? I just don't buy it as being a problem worth changing someone's name for, particularly when they've already built up a level of notoriety in your company under a different name. I don't understand why they bother doing things like this. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

Look at all the stupid furore they had over the name "Cody Rhodes" after he left WWE, all those years of only being able to call him Cody, hence he has Brandi Rhodes come out with him so they can slip it under the RADAR. I'm not sure whether WWE just decided to let it slide or it was discovered that they'd not been able to do that, or AEW just stopped caring. All it leads to is people tweeting out nonsense about "slave names". 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Duke said:

@air_raid, Garth me bro

Eh. It’s not the same if it’s a tag team champion losing a singles match, is it? He’s not a singles champion, so every singles match he wrestles has to be non title. At least the Usos, tag team champions, didn’t get beaten by another tag team in a tag team match. This week.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Supremo said:

Whatever you think of the, “Butch,” name, I’m flabbergasted at the amount of people asking “why not just call him Pete Dunne?” Take a look at what’s happening in AEW! That’s why!

In the last few months alone we’ve had Adam Cole, William Regal, CM Punk, Jeff Hardy, Keith Lee, Bobby Fish and Kyle O’Reilly, all jumping ship, all being able to use the same name and/or music. It’s no wonder Vince wants better control on all this stuff. It must drive him crazy seeing guys he’s poured money into transferring seamlessly to his greatest competitor of the last twenty years. I bet he hit the fucking roof when that Hardy Boyz music hit on Wednesday.

But this is what WWE have done. FOR DECADES! Pete Dunne has been there for years now. They mostly do this when they first get put in the PC. He was the longest reigning NXT UK Champion, was on NXT and Takeovers before. Wasn’t he also in the Royal Rumble the other year? So why the name change now? 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, air_raid said:

Eh. It’s not the same if it’s a tag team champion losing a singles match, is it? He’s not a singles champion, so every singles match he wrestles has to be non title. At least the Usos, tag team champions, didn’t get beaten by another tag team in a tag team match. This week.

I was referring to asking lots of obvious questions rather than just making statements.

Did my joke fall flat? Yes it did.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Duke said:

I was referring to asking lots of obvious questions rather than just making statements.

Did my joke fall flat? Yes it did.

Ahhhhh. I was distracted by an Uso losing to give another team a title shot. Which is almost the worst trope in pro wrestling, but not.

8 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

But this is what WWE have done. FOR DECADES! Pete Dunne has been there for years now. They mostly do this when they first get put in the PC. He was the longest reigning NXT UK Champion, was on NXT and Takeovers before. Wasn’t he also in the Royal Rumble the other year? So why the name change now? 

Apart from the Rumble which has probably been forgotten by the main show runners the rest is absolutely meaningless. Vince would value someone's 10m swimming certificate more than being the NXT UK Champion I reckon. 

32 minutes ago, simonworden said:

Apart from the Rumble which has probably been forgotten by the main show runners the rest is absolutely meaningless. Vince would value someone's 10m swimming certificate more than being the NXT UK Champion I reckon. 

True, considering the current nXt UK Champion isn't even in WWE 2K22, despite being champion for over 200 days.