The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

If the rumours currently circulating on the internet are true, there could be a truly unbelievable return tonight.  Almost worth trying to stay awake for....

• Paid Members

Cain Velasquez has this weird point of looking so ordinary and somewhat dim yet you absolutely know he could fuck you up. 

Tysom Fury was a bit of a surprise too, is this WWE going down the route of trying to make it look more like a sport on Fox by throwing in all these 'legit' fighters? 

The Kofi match was handled brilliantly. Watching Lesnar throw him around for ages would have just soured the whole title experience for me, Kofi winning by cheating or a fluke just wouldn't have made sense. Having it be a moment of regret as he knew he had to try and take the fight and use his speed and agility only to be caught was great. 

I'm going to ignore most of the obvious stuff and ask why on the first show you would completely undeliver on your advertisements? 

Stone Cold, The Undertaker and Sting all advertised. Nowhere to be seen. 

Fair enough not delivering a Mark Henry or JBL or something but people will have tuned in specifically to see an Austin or Undertaker. 

Edited by FUM

• Paid Members

Tried tuning in to Smackdown seeing as it was the big debut show and man, there's just something about the whole thing leaves a bad taste in the mouth still. The over-production, the sound of Michael Cole, the hard on for anyone with a legit fighting background at the expense of their own roster.

I never bought Kofi as a champion, it was a feel good thing that should have ended as soon as it began, but they put all the cards on the table and gave him a full commited run and then don't even give him more than 10 seconds against Brock. That'd be fine if the "champion immediately loses to Brock Lesnar after a move" gimmick hadn't been done before a dozen times. Who to and how you lose the belt sometimes means as much as winning it, but that hasn't felt the case for years now.

The only thing that made that feel like a big deal was them telling me it was a big deal every ten minutes. Nothing that actually happened outside of the Fury and Valesquez moments were worth watching because it happens all the time on every show. Owens and Shane have been going forever, Tag team matches for the women and 8 man tag teams for the actual tag teams, Roman Reigns getting verbally wanked off. It's just the same old shite as it was last time I watched it. 

• Paid Members

The really interesting thing coming out of this show is obviously Cain and where the search for talent is taking them these days. They've always had a hard-on for legit athletes but MMA has robbed them of the pick of a lot of those. Maybe this is the way forward.

Got to agree with @Shy Dad. I thought Cain looked really weird. Quite ordinary. But we know he's legit. Here's hoping they can present that. It's harder than you think. Have to look no further than Ken Shamrock in the WWF. And he was in long before everything was micro-managed. Cain didn't look great though, especially not compared to Fury, who might be a bigot, but exudes charisma from every pore.

The show felt as big as they wanted it to. Another show this week with a PPV feel. Everything that wasn't temporary was the same old though.