UKFF Netflix / Amazon Prime Recommendations Thread

Loki

On 12/21/2019 at 9:02 AM, PunkStep said:

Watched the first episode last night. Was a bit apprehensive about Henry Cavill playing Geralt but it seems to be a good bit of casting so far. He's got the voice nailed on, which is pretty important. 

All in all a really enjoyable first episode. I'll go through the rest over the next week or so. 

How far in are you now and have you been able to stop singing "Toss a coin to your Witcher?"

I thought it would be a bit shit because it looked like Legend of Hercules with tits but it's actually really good because of that. Cavill is playing a blinder even if it does feel a bit weird to see him in such a B movie type show. 

The thing that has impressed me most is the practical effects. The Shreiker was bloody terrifying.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Netflix announced yesterday that they’re adding all of the Studio Ghibli movies (except Graves of the Fireflies) from February 1st. They’re coming out in batches of 7, with the second and third ones coming out on March and April 1st. 

Anyone who’s never seen some of these wonderful films when they’ve been shown on Film4 in the past now has a chance to see them all but one. 

• Paid Members

Just started Midnight Diner on Netflix and I already love it. One of those simple ideas that works through just really good writing, plus I love a good anthology series. Nice and relaxing viewing, but it will make you hungry.

• Awards Moderator

Bought the Locke and Key comic set for Mrs Onyx last year as a random birthday present (she's a fan of Stephen King and Joe Hill). Only finished it myself last week so really keen to get this started. 

I don't remember if I ever finished the comic, or if I lost my way with it in between the different series coming out (I feel like there were fairly substantial gaps between them). I have started re-reading the first book on Kindle Unlimited at the same time as starting the show.

So how have people familiar with the comic found Locke and Key then?

I'm not, but I always heard the comic was a lot more horror focused than this show has been.

I've enjoyed it thus far, (I'm up to the finale), bar some dodgy young people's music cues, but again I don't really have a stake in the source material.