UKFF Netflix / Amazon Prime Recommendations Thread

Loki

• Paid Members

There's stuff in the comics that really wouldn't have worked on the series and I can understand why they have gone the teenage school drama route to pad it out, rather than straight up horror but it feels like its neither one thing, nor the other (they also threw in waaaay too many keys for a first series) Hopefully if it gets a audience they get a little more focused.

• Paid Members

My 9 year old daughter is really keen on watching  Locke & Key. Is it early teen friendly or proper adult stuff? Like I'm happy for her to watch stuff like the DC CW shows with me but I wouldn't go much darker than that.

• Awards Moderator

That's a tricky one @DEF. I know you've raised her on some hard stuff so she'd probably be OK. The Bode lead is surprisingly unannoying. 

It's a bit more Riverdale than I would like. I guess it's a tame Haunting of Hill House but it's fun enough. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

That's a tricky one @DEF. I know you've raised her on some hard stuff so she'd probably be OK. The Bode lead is surprisingly unannoying. 

It's a bit more Riverdale than I would like. I guess it's a tame Haunting of Hill House but it's fun enough. 

Cheers, we may give it a go and turn it off if it gets to much. I'm usually ok with watch her watching stuff that's 12 rated as long as it's  with me and I can address  any issues or get her to look away at the right time etc. Having read the first comic last night I was a little apprehensive to say the least. But that does sound about her level.

• Awards Moderator
8 hours ago, DEF said:

Having read the first comic last night I was a little apprehensive

Spoilers in case anyone wants to go in completely cold about the freakiest bits. 

The dad's murder is much less of a bloody fight. It's a short stand off and the gunshot that finishes him is very PG. 

The head opening stuff has been reimagined to something much less disturbing. It's more Narnia than trepanning.

The tone is definitely teen drama. They wanted a wide audience for this I think.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Spoilers in case anyone wants to go in completely cold about the freakiest bits. 

Hide contents

The dad's murder is much less of a bloody fight. It's a short stand off and the gunshot that finishes him is very PG. 

The head opening stuff has been reimagined to something much less disturbing. It's more Narnia than trepanning.

The tone is definitely teen drama. They wanted a wide audience for this I think.

Yeah that sounds fine then. Will give it a watch at half term. I quite like the comic. Pretty easy read so far.

Parasite? PARASHITE

The Lighthouse? THE SHITEHOUSE

etc

The cinematic highlight of the year is now on Netflix, To All The Boys: PS I Still Love You. What a day!

Also, went through the interactive Captain Underpants with the kids and it’s a lot of fun. They argued over everything but then that’s standard.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Didn't know there was one!!!

Is there an option to stop him banging on about God in his interviews?

Making Grylls get food poisoning from eating animal shit or mauled to death by the Wolves that don't really exist up Snowdon is fun for the whole family. Shits on Bandersnatch.

Only Yesterday (Studio Ghibli) is amazing, just amazing.  I cried like a girl through most of it.  Mrs Loki and I are watching through all the Netflix Ghibli movies in order, and I'd not seen this one before.

In many respects this is a perfect film - I'm not sure it puts a foot wrong.  Every cell of animation, every line of dialogue, every note of music and sound is just so beautiful.

Edit: although if anyone can explain why Daisy Ridley does an American accent where Dev Patel doesn't... so odd.

Edited by Loki

I’m watching the Ghibli films that I’ve not seen from each batch. Porco Rosso was much better that I’d been lead to believe, although Michael Keaton phoned it in good and proper on the English dub. 

I tried giving Laputa: Castle in the Sky a watch last night, but it was late and I dropped off so going to have to try again.

• Paid Members

I've been working my way through the Netflix Ghiblis, and watched Tales from Earthsea the other night. I didn't hate it, but I can see why it has the reputation of being the worst Ghibli movie.

Ursula Le Guin's scathing review of it is pretty much the definitive take, my girlfriend (who hasn't read any of the books) agreed wholeheartedly with all of it.

The art direction was great, and some of the set-pieces were visually stunning, but you could tell it wasn't a seasoned director at the helm by how (comparatively) clunky a lot of the animation was. Nothing flowed the way it does in a Hayao Miyazaki film. Comparing this to something like the way the grass moves in the wind in The Wind Rises, or the richness of the stunning blue skies and tall fluffy clouds in practically every Miyazaki movie, is a stark contrast.

There was way too much pointless exposition early on, and the plot was just meandering and often impossible to follow, and I found myself having to guess at which bit of the Earthsea books they were trying to do at any given time. Without recourse to the books, I think my girlfriend was just completely lost. Most of the actual Earthsea "lore" was just crowbarred in awkwardly anyway - there were whole chunks of dialogue taken from the books and used in entirely different contexts, or moral lessons from the books given out utterly unearned by the story that preceded them. At one point, the story of "The Tombs Of Atuan" - one of the better Earthsea stories, and certainly a better story than this film - is given as just one line of dialogue, to give a character backstory. It was only at that point I realised who that character was supposed to be, and actually laughed out loud, and not for the last time at the randomness of how the source material was mined for this movie. That the character in question, Tenar, was transformed into a generic love interest/damsel in distress wasn't just a disservice to the books, but really disappointing from a studio that ordinarily does such a great job with well-written, strong female characters. Just another way it didn't feel sufficiently "Ghibli".

The other way it feels decidedly un-Ghibli, and un-Earthsea, is in having a cartoonish villain. Ghibli doesn't really do villains. 

To give them their due, I think part of the problem is that Earthsea had already been an influence on so much earlier Ghibli stuff. A lot of the key concepts - the power of true names, the balance of man and nature, "living" as a conscious and heroic act - were all done before, and done better, in Nausicaa, Mononoke, Pom Poko and Spirited Away.

Edited by BomberPat

2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Currently trying out the Starz Channel offer on Amazon - a few shows I've wanted to see on there. Starting with Mr Mercedes and The Act. Heard good things about both.

The documentary that The Act is an adaptation of, Mommy Dead & Dearest, is well worth checking out too.