Brexit

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King of Hamptons said:

So.. Farmer who need Europeans to pick fruit on his farm.. Votes to leave the EU.. And is surprised by the result... 😂 h

ttps://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/brexit-backing-fruit-farmer-shares-fears-after-voting-leave-despite-relying-on-eastern-european-a4111936.html

“I was fed up of being told what to do by non-elected bureaucracy based in Luxembourg.”

Wow.

So it's another extension until Halloween.

Realistically though Labour and the government need to come to an agreement in the next week to avoid European elections.  Now it's clear the government won't allow No Deal, and is prepared to get a consensus with the opposition, surely they'll be able to negotiate something?

• Paid Members

Anybody see those people that blockaded an Aldi as part of their Brexit protest?

Also quite worried to read that Tommy Robinson is apparently threatening to try and run in the European elections,

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Can anyone explain to a self confessed political numpty, if there is any sort of substance to the "last night taught us it's time to get on with Brexit" line that's being trotted out at the minute.

I understand the concept of a protest vote and by god is there plenty to be pissed off about at the minute, but seems fucking barmy to me that anyone is trying to spin a scenario whereby ardent Brexiteers sat at home dissatisfied with the process to date thought fuck it, we'll vote in droves for the two pro-remain parties.  That'll learn em!

The most clear cut conclusion I could take from last night, would be that Labour's ambiguous position has cost them, and of course, the Tories aren't going to be an alternative option for their supporters in the main, which would further reinforce the idea that there was some genuine sentiment to the voting last night, as opposed to just voting for 'anybody else' - the more I think about it, the more my head hurts.

• Paid Members

I thought the vote was more a reflection of the public not wanting Brexit rather than wanting to get on with it. UKIP votes down by 70%, Tories down by 25%, Labour down slightly by 10% whereas the Lib Dems (who are pushing hard to remain) were up 110% and Greens were up 550%.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Ah, I've just read on BBC that the 'voters have told us to get on with Brexit' line was straight from Theresa May's mouth. Well that explains it then!

Ah.  Wish I'd stumbled across that fucker earlier today.  Explains why I've seen those words attributed to about five different Tory MP's this morning.  Now I'm definitely even more inclined to think that the pro-remain party resurgence has a degree of credibility to it.  Not that I expect that to count for fuck all.  A party, and a leader that's managed to make this degree of monumental fuck up to date, survive no confidence votes, and STILL be in power feels about as bulletproof as it gets at the minute

• Awards Moderator

The huge problem with scrying local election results are the reasons for voting are so varied. 

In my region, the Conservative paperwork focused on getting Brexit sorted. The Lib Dem flyer talked about how much money the Conservative councillors wasted on a public toilet in our town. How is it useful to bounce these two leaflets against each other when trying to decide who to vote for? 

Local elections should be that; a vote on local issues such as school support, roads, housing developments, environmental issues, whatever matters in your community. But many people - not incorrectly - use it to vote nationally. 

I don't think it's strictly pro-Remain. I interpret the results as a general 'please stop fucking about with Brexit, just sort it out either way' but I can't speak for local initiatives.

I particularly feel for SME businesses whom Conservatives often have support from, needing clarity for their future planning. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

The huge problem with scrying local election results are the reasons for voting are so varied. 

In my region, the Conservative paperwork focused on getting Brexit sorted. The Lib Dem flyer talked about how much money the Conservative councillors wasted on a public toilet in our town. How is it useful to bounce these two leaflets against each other when trying to decide who to vote for? 

Local elections should be that; a vote on local issues such as school support, roads, housing developments, environmental issues, whatever matters in your community. But many people - not incorrectly - use it to vote nationally. 

I don't think it's strictly pro-Remain. I interpret the results as a general 'please stop fucking about with Brexit, just sort it out either way' but I can't speak for local initiatives.

I particularly feel for SME businesses whom Conservatives often have support from, needing clarity for their future planning. 

A 17% turn out in my ward. 17%! Basildon Council is now split where it has been Tory for so long. Probably due to selling golf course land for £1 to a hotel chain, spending over £50k on door mats for their offices and continued tax increases for homes and businesses. We don’t even get streetlights after 1am.

So, what's going to happen with these EU elections then? Is Farage's new party going to do well as much of the mainstream media seem to be shitting themselves about? Will "man of the people" Tommy Robinson see any kind of success? Aside from that I don't know who else is actually running, but those results will be what I'm watching for with a moderate amount of interest.