Brexit

Devon Malcolm

1 minute ago, JNLister said:

This probably counts as live chat, but it sounds like shit is going down with May being pressured to quit. I know it's a cliche to say the Brexit vote rewrote the rules on politics, but the Prime Minister resigning the day before a national election would be... unusual.

The part of me that wants to watch the world burn hopes she stays on until they can bring another no confidence vote on her, just to spite the fuckers.

• Paid Members

I'm a complete idiot and in my own little bubble. What and who am I voting for tomorrow? (obvs not conservative)

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The part of me that wants to watch the world burn hopes she stays on until they can bring another no confidence vote on her, just to spite the fuckers.

Well it looks like the end now. So given that this is Theresa May, I expect her to cling on for 3 more months. 

2 minutes ago, DEF said:

What and who am I voting for tomorrow?

Fucking hell, they're really scraping the barrel for questions in Going For Gold these days.

It depends what you want, really, and where you're based.  Speaking of which, dear North West residents, please vote tomorrow if you don't want Stephen Yaxley-Lennon getting in.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's proportional representation isn't it? So if there's enough of a share of the vote for them he could get a seat. 

• Paid Members

He'd need 12.6% of the vote to be guaranteed a seat in the NorthWest. It could be less depending on the balance of the other parties -- Nick Griffin scraped a seat there with 8% in 2009. Depending on turnout you're probably talking 150,000 minimum and more like 200,000+ votes. Consensus seems to be that he's got no real chance, due in part to splitting the far right vote with The Brexit Party and UKIP.

Meanwhile Andrea Leadsom has gone, which at the very least means May needs to find somebody to become Leader of the House before she can physically put the withdrawal bill before Parliament.

2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Yeah, it's proportional representation isn't it? So if there's enough of a share of the vote for them he could get a seat.

Fuck, that would represent a truly dark day in British politics, going far beyond the likes of Farage or Griffin seeing any kind of limited success.

52 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Please vote as The Brexit Party has good momentum.

Unless you're going to vote for the Brexit Party of course. If that's the case just order some takeaway and stop home for the night.

Brexit is a bit like the Game Of Thrones finale ain't it?  Yeah it's ended but it wasn't the ending I wanted, which is different to the one you wanted, which is different from the one they wanted, which is different etc etc.

I don't do it as some kind of "Gotcha" but the above is well evident when you ask people what they voted for.  It usually goes along the lines of -

"I voted to leave the EU, that's what was on the ballot"

"Well Theresa May's deal does exactly that"

"No it don't, will still be in the customs union"

"That's not the EU, it's different"

"We'll still be tied to the single market though"

"That isn't the EU either, look at Norway"

"Well I didn't vote for any of that bollocks, I just want out"

"Are you saying it was too complex an issue for a yes or no vote and that people who voted to leave may want a different way of leaving than you"

And so on and so forth.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

Fuck, that would represent a truly dark day in British politics, going far beyond the likes of Farage or Griffin seeing any kind of limited success.

Unless you're going to vote for the Brexit Party of course. If that's the case just order some takeaway and stop home for the night.

Ha sorry my brackets should have read ( obvs not conservatives and the racists)

Cheers for that Onyx its sorted me out.