Brexit

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I'll be voting Labour, because the MEP for London, Lucy Anderson, is the most hard-working and dedicated, and I don't feel she should pay for the general population's indifference to MEP elections or Labour's stance on Brexit. Regardless of what one thinks of the EU, she deserves to be in that seat, even if it's just for a few more months.

To be honest, the incompetence of both campaigns during the lead-up to the referendum was astounding already, but I'm really surprised that, with someone like this around, the Remain campaign didn't call her up.

https://theovertake.com/~meps/meps-the-best-and-the-worst/

Lucy Anderson

Plenary attendance: 93.1%

Number of report amendments: 3,225 (!)

Lucy Anderson, Labour MEP for London, is the best British MEP, based on The Overtake’s scoring system. While a couple of (mostly Labour) MEPs do have Anderson’s impressive plenary attendance of 93.1% since the Brexit vote beat, her work ethic appears unparalleled.

Anderson is vice chair of the Committee on the Internal Market and Consumer Protection, as well as a member of two others. Over the past three years, she has produced four reports and made an overwhelming 3,225 report amendments, putting most of her coworkers to shame.

In addition, she has submitted a respectable 32 written questions, done 26 speeches, worked as a shadow rapporteur on five opinions — facilitating compromise on legislative report proposals — and put forward a motion. Her recent activities include a debate on new rights for the sale of digital content and goods and a proposal regarding the prevention of terrorist content online.

We take it back, Nirj Deva. Lucy Anderson is the real-life Leslie Knope, and she gives us hope.

The turnout will probably be low, but I suspect the new Brexit Party will do spectacularly well, with the main 3 parties probably about even with each other afterwards.

I still think it's likely a deal will go through Parliament before any of them take their seats anyway, so the whole thing is a spectacularly embarrassing and costly waste of time.  But that's what the magic Brexit shit wand has turned politics into for this decade.

• Paid Members

In as much as you can rely on polling at this stage/for this election, it looks like Brexit Party and Labour near the top, ChUK/UKIP/Greens in low single figures, and Conservatives and Lib Dems at some point in between, with Conservatives hoping to be closer to the top two and fearing being closer to the bottom lot. Polls have been all over the place though, mainly due to trying to big, quick effects of Tories collapsing and Brexit Party getting loads of publicity at their launch.

One thing to remember is that although it's a proportional representation election, there's a big hitch here. Pretty much everyone else in the EU does it nationally, so if you get 20 percent of the nationwide vote, you get roughly 20 percent of the seats. We do it by regions, so it hurts smaller parties generally, and those with spread-out support in particular.

For example, the Northeast only has three MEPs, so you need to be getting around a third of the vote to win one. That pretty much guarantees it will either be Labour and Brexit splitting them, and every other vote will be "wasted". Meanwhile the SNP won't get a single vote outside Scotland, but they'll almost certainly get two or three MEPs there.

In the majority of regions you need a good 15% to be sure of getting a seat. In fact if you got 10 percent in every region, you could very easily wind up with only one MEP rather than the 7 or 8 you'd get if it was literally proportional across the country.

The big fear among remainers is that nearly all the hardcore "leave means leave" vote will go to the Brexit Party, but the "second referendum/stop Brexit" will be split between Lib Dems, Green, ChUK (and to some extent Labour). That could mean you get many regions where those smaller parties all get too few votes indvidually to win seats, even though they have got a respectable total nationwide.

So whatever happens, everyone will be picking the "measure" that best helps them explain why they won. Could be who gets the most votes, who gets the most seats, who "wins" the most regions, or how many people vote for "leave" parties vs "remain" parties (and how you then class Labour and Conservative in that split.) Farage is already saying that if Brexit Party "win" then Britain has voted for a no-deal Brexit.

As for Tommy Robinson, he's standing as an independent as he's genuinely too fascist to stand for UKIP under its party rules. Depending on turnout he'll probably need at least 150,000 votes and likely 200,000+ votes to get in, which is a tough ask given he's really only going to get a personal vote as a lot of the hardcore Brexit supporters will go for Brexit Party or UKIP.

• Paid Members

£5,000 deposit, which you get back if you get 2.5 percent of the vote. Rather unfairly, it's £5,000 for an independent, but also £5,000 to cover an entire party putting up a batch of candidates in a region.

Then there's every chance that Robinson would see it as five grand well spent considering the vast amounts of mainstream media coverage he's had since announcing his candidacy. From the moment he announced the media have been all over him, providing him with the oxygen he needs, and I reckon that'll be the case until well after the results are tallied up.

1 minute ago, The King Of Swing said:

I have long believed that Brexit somehow being revoked would be a dream come true for Farage. He's irrelevant when/if we actually leave the EU imo.

Well he has his seat at Question Time at least, Anna Sourbry is on as well tonight.

I saw one of those Brexit party adverts which began with a straight faced Farage saying how the people have been lied to. The brass neck of the cunt!

4 minutes ago, David said:

Is he on tonight? Cheers, I'll be sure to tune in. Not watched QT in ages.

No doubt he'll be taking a different stance to this clip.  And people will still lap it up because we live in a world where opinions mean more than facts

6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

No doubt he'll be taking a different stance to this clip.  And people will still lap it up because we live in a world where opinions mean more than facts

The BBC are to blame, they intentionally choose an audience of people who won't test him or pull him up. They'll get flustered and angry, he'll laugh like fuck and it'll make for good TV.

It's a soap opera in bad suits.

33 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

If you put the letters "KOFF" between "OFOC" and "Brexit" then you have my exact opinion of Bret Hart.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

If you put the letters "KOFF" between "OFOC" and "Brexit" then you have my exact opinion of Bret Hart.

BrexHart?