Brexit

Devon Malcolm

4 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Who is trapping whom?

May trying to trap Corbyn.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1113367905771642880.html

The gist is, having refused to budge an inch from her red lines in the last 3 years, how likely is it that she's now going "yeah, compromise!" Particularly if they separate the Withdrawal Agreement from the Future Relationship document, there's zero guarantee she (or whoever follows her as a Tory PM) will honour any of those compromises. 

• Paid Members

Nice trivia note: today's two ministerial resignations means May's now had more ministers resign in her reign than under Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown or Cameron. Which is not bad going for less than three years.

• Paid Members

And the trivia records keep on coming. Yvette Cooper has a proposed law being voted on tonight that effectively says "if there's no deal, the government legally has to ask for an extension rather than do nothing and intentionally let no deal happen." The government put forward an amendment that says "Yes, but this law can't tell the Brexit secretary what to do." (In effect it would make the law meaningless.)

That amendment just lost by 400 votes to 220, which appears to be the second biggest government defeat ever in the Commons, meaning May now has the number 1, 2 and 5 slots.

EDIT: That was beaten a few minutes later. It appears the ERG are "on strike" and voting against the government for the sake of it. The ship is sinking.

Edited by JNLister

• Awards Moderator

Juncker's statement from today is well worth reading. Calm, measured and reasonable. 

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_SPEECH-19-1970_en.htm

TLDR; fucking sort your life out, UK. 

One bit jumped out at me: "UK would have to honour it's financial commitments as a member state." Well worth leaving to save all that money we pay Brussels eh? What's that? Oh. 

• Paid Members

If they're all about binary choices why can't she just say "it's this deal or no Brexit"? Obviously there'd potentially be a shed load of abstentions, but maybe they'd actually decide on something. 

• Paid Members

I live in an online Remain bubble (and am a loser shut-in so don't have to chat with anyone in my 67% Leave town) and so was really surprised today to see that only two of my Twitter followers were following the wonderful @ByDonkeys. These are the people who have been putting up billboards showing tweets and other comments which expose Leave as hucksters and charlatans.

They outdid themselves yesterday evening:

They're absolutely amazing. It's just a crowdfunded group of four too!

Untitled-2.thumb.jpg.1546e73082e2b3c639bdc07dace2ecf2.jpg

Aye, top trolling from those guys. Following Farage on his March of Destiny (or whatever it was) with the mobile billboards of what he said, about leaving the country if it goes wrong, never claiming it would be a success etc. Good stuff. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

This is my favourite pic of theirs, Farage on top of his bus during his 'march to leave' opposite one of his tweets.

Oh yes, the Sad Nigel! Around the same time, they were broadcasting footage of him calling for a second referendum whilst he was stood with his handful of fellow marchers having a pint and pretending he couldn't hear it!

This one of Esther McVey is tops too purely because she's in it!

But their most striking one to me, at least until they projected onto the White Cliffs the other night, is this one:

D2Z4_JAWoAAB0rp.jpg

I think they're great! Must chuck them some more money! :)