Brexit

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

How does this not have a thread on here? You know why? Because of megathreads. And this is why Brexit is now good, because it's going to help to continue the elimination of megathreads from this forum. Because megathreads are shit.

Also, of less importance, Dominic Raab resigned.

Give it to Hiddink until the end of the season.

• Paid Members

Prediction.

This deal gets voted down and May (possibly) goes. Something that's almost identical gets passed in the next 6 months, maybe after an Article 50 delay, and once the various factions who hate it realise it's mutually exclusive to get a second referendum, a better deal and no deal at all as an alternative to it. Everyone will bung some amendments to it  in Parliament to save face and stroke themselves, but it will ultimately be pretty much the same because this is the sort of deal you get when you are a country the size and influence of the UK negotiating with a trading bloc like the EU. 

And what a roaring success this has all been. A monumental, economically idiotic, socially regressive pile of shit that has choked the Parliamentary calendar into not dealing with a huge amount of structural challenges this country faces and will continue to waste time and make people poorer for decades. A living, breathing case study into why I hate referendums and why you don't play fast and loose with constitutional change.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I don't think I've hated politics as much as today since the morning after the Referendum. Even the factions in this debate I nominally support I'd be ready to throw into the Thames. Everyone in Westminster is swithering between naked self-interest, quixotic bullshit and outright stupidity and it's every other cunt that's going to be mopping up the spew for decades to come. 
Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

The UK are being offered the terrible deal that they deserve, for the amount of lies told in the run up to the referendum, and for the complete lack of thought that was put into how to leave. Northern Ireland was always going to be the issue, and there wasn't one ounce of heed paid to it until after the fact, and May and co. discovered 'What do you mean, we can't have our cake and eat it too?'. 

A shit show of the highest order the whole thing has been. I live and work just inside the Northern Irish border, whilst my partner is from and works in Ireland (though we live together, and her daughter goes to school in the south as well). For quite a while I've tried to convince her not to worry, but with each passing day I get less and less confident of an outcome that ends up good for anybody. 

I think the funny thing is, remainers and brexiters, who were divided by the original referendum are now all united at what a shit show this all is.

But the Brexiters are refusing to take any responsibility for this shit. I don't like May at all, but how they can pile on her when not a single one of them has come up with any alternative is laughable. They were never getting their idealised vision of Brexit because it doesn't fucking exist.

Anyway, she'll be gone in a week and an election will be coming up.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Everyone agrees that it's a shit show, just for different reasons. 

There's a few "I don't care, Brexit means Brexit!" gammon-types on my FaceBook feed (hence why I don't use it much anymore) but other than that most people seem to agree that it's a shit show and we, the poor sods who don't earn an MP's wage, are fucked.

• Paid Members

Can I ask a very ignorant and uniformed question?  What difference will an election make at this stage?  Say Labour get in, for example.  This doesn't all stop and go away, any time to negotiate has ran out as I understand it?  So what, we're just saying "let someone different manage the fall out"?  An election a year ago with time on the clock I could understand, I just can't get my head around what difference it would make at this point.

I'd be genuinely concerned in the event of an election that we'd get a Rees-Mogg/Johnson type which would mobilise the furious Brexit mob further, but then I honestly believe for all of their pomp and bravado, none of that lot would be stupid enough to touch any of this with a fucking barge pole, so I'm clueless as to what's next.

Edited by John Matrix