Brexit

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It wouldn’t because the name Tommy Robinson wouldn’t actually be on the ballot and I expect only a tiny proportion of his fans would know his actual name

I'm also looking forward to the next Prime Minister vote. Twelth of Never is the next.

4 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Don't you live in Sunny Shotton? Or Dreamy Deeside? Or It's Basically A Road Queensferry? I need to hear this story.

Back in the badlands of Flint now but said incident happened in Holywell. What I wrote was basically the long and short of it other than it being a fake bomb and I think it was more in protest of the chap who owned the chippy and not the mindless act of slaughtering innocent sausages and fish cakes. Poor Bomber was the last person to handle the suspect package so he was arrested, held and questioned. Talk about shooting the messenger.

20 hours ago, Loki said:

“It is said that the Queen has come to love the Commonwealth, partly because it supplies her with regular cheering crowds of flag-waving picaninnies”.

--

“They say he is shortly off to the Congo. No doubt the AK47s will fall silent, and the pangas will stop their hacking of human flesh, and the tribal warriors will all break out in watermelon smiles to see the big white chief touch down in his big white British taxpayer-funded bird.”

--

“The problem is not that we were once in charge, but that we are not in charge anymore. Consider Uganda, pearl of Africa, as an example of the British record. The British planted coffee and cotton and tobacco, and they were broadly right. If left to their own devices, the natives would rely on nothing but the instant carbohydrate gratification of the plantain.  The best fate for Africa would be if the old colonial powers, or their citizens, scrambled once again in her direction; on the understanding that this time they will not be asked to feel guilty.”

--

Whilst editor of the Spectator, published an article which said “orientals” had “have larger brains and higher IQ scores”, while “blacks are at the other pole”.

--

Writing about Obama, he said his removal of Churchill's bust  "was a symbol of the part-Kenyan president’s ancestral dislike of the British empire".

--

And of course "I would go further and say that it is absolutely ridiculous that people should choose to go around looking like letter boxes."

So yeah, he's that sort of patronising, colonial old-school racist who views any culture other than his own as a dark reflection of actual civilisation.  Saying something racist and then apologising for it (which is his method) doesn't make you non-racist, it's just a way of appealing to racists and then applying a thin veneer of respectability back.  Trump does it all the time, he also uses the "just a joke" excuse as well.

If you read all this sort of shit from Johnson (as well as his many other sexist "gaffes") and think it's ok, then that makes YOU a racist as well.  You obviously think that anything short of shouting "paki" in someone's face is ok, but just because racism has been forced out of polite conversation, doesn't mean it doesn't still exist and thrive through little comments like Johnson's.  He's Tommy Robinson with a posh voice and an ill-fitting wig.  But you probably don't think Tommeh is a racist either, and you know why?  Because you're also a racist.  

A lot of assumptions and nonsense in that post. I'm not a racist. Fuck off with that shit. How dare you attempt to slander me like that, you nincompoop. A pox on you. You should be fucking ashamed of yourself for attempting to boost your own week ego by ranting like that. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Brewster McCloud said:

A lot of assumptions and nonsense in that post. I'm not a racist. Fuck off with that shit. How dare you attempt to slander me like that, you nincompoop. A pox on you. You should be fucking ashamed of yourself for attempting to boost your own week ego by ranting like that. 

But they are all innocent Johnson quotes. So do you still stand by him?

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Shades of Mark Francois vs Will Self in this exchange..

• Paid Members
On 3/29/2019 at 10:44 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah, that's not how becoming a Prime Minister works.

It's sort of right though, isn't it. He would have to be voted for as an MP in order to become PM. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

No.

He's saying people wouldn't know to vote for him because his real name is something else. People would have to vote for him to make him an MP if he were to then become PM. So on some stupid small level it's correct.

Yes, I know, in reality it doesn't work like that. Yes, I know, in reality the name thing wouldn't play out like that. 

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Loki said:

No.  The PM doesn't have to be an MP, so he wouldn't need to be elected an MP to become PM.

Are you sure?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/Ask_Politics/comments/6g5n3k/what_happens_if_a_leader_of_a_party_in_the_uk/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8497014.stm#lose

https://www.marieclaire.co.uk/entertainment/people/theresa-may-seat-parliament-513642/amp

I doubted myself but everything I read says they have to be ... unless they get in by being a member of the House of Lords but that hasn't been done for 100 years. 

Edited by Chunk

19 minutes ago, Chunk said:

unless they get in by being a member of the House of Lords but that hasn't been done for 100 years. 

Alec Douglas-Home was a Lord when he became PM in 1963, but renounced his peerage 4 days later and became the MP of a safe tory seat that was vacant.  Like a lot of things in Parliament and government, there aren't set rules per se, more a consensus that has evolved over the centuries.  If a party wins an election, the party leader gets the PM job as the main parties have a rule that the leader has to be an MP, but that isn't law.  So if a new party didn't have this "In house" rule, they could have anyone as their leader and if they won a general election, their leader could be the PM even without being an MP, but they'd have no confidence in the HoC.