Brexit

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

All sorts of japery today with people trying to interpret results, but the "Tories got punished because all their members want no deal Brexit, we must elect Johnson or Raab" storyline is the most mathematically questionable.

The combined UKIP/Brexit vote share was up 10 percent. The Conservative vote share was down 15 percent. So at the least, a third of their losses were to parties with a "softer" Brexit position.

When you then consider the likelihood that at least a couple of percentage points worth of the Brexit gains came from Labour, there's a solid chance the Conservative losses were actually split evenly between No Deal parties and Referendum to Remain parties.

7 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

But the idea of a second referendum was the stand out performer.

In honesty it was only really the Lib Dems who were pushing an agenda that could be described as the opposite of the Brexit Party, and they did very well. I think those who are saying the votes for Labour, Greens etc are all votes for remain are pushing it a bit, in the same way as a vote for the Conservatives isn't necessarily a vote to leave either. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, David said:

In honesty it was only really the Lib Dems who were pushing an agenda that could be described as the opposite of the Brexit Party, and they did very well. I think those who are saying the votes for Labour, Greens etc are all votes for remain are pushing it a bit, in the same way as a vote for the Conservatives isn't necessarily a vote to leave either. 

A majority of people voted for parties that say we should leave. And at the same time, a majority of people voted for parties that say with the current options for leaving, we should have a second referendum.

Meanwhile, Keir Starmer inadvertently gave the best way forward:

D7kMmylX4AAhVrI.jpg

Yeah, but I know people in Scotland, for example, who voted SNP because they always vote SNP but who voted to leave in the EU referendum, and who would do so again if asked. I just don't think it's as clear cut as some of these politicians are saying, unless you look at a party like Brexit who essentially have no other reason for existing.

22 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

I voted Green, and their Brexit stance was one of the main reasons.

Yeah, I'm not saying there won't be people who have voted that way, but it would be crazy to think every single person voted as if this was an EU referendum. No doubt that's how many politicians will try to frame it though. It's like Farage banging on about how Change UK's ridiculously bad election is somehow a sign that any hunger for remain has been dampened, or that the increase in Brexit Party vote over what UKIP did last time around is a sign that no deal brexit support is growing. 

1 hour ago, David said:

it would be crazy to think every single person voted as if this was an EU referendum

I reckon most people did though, and in lieu of an actual referendum it's the best indicator we have.

If we break it down by publicly stated policy, then as percentage of vote cast - 

No Deal Brexit - 34.9% (Brexit Party/UKIP)
Compromise Deal - 23.2% (Conservatives/Labour)
Remain - 40.4% (LibDem/Green/Nats/CUK)

How accurate that would be if that were an actual 3-way referendum question is obviously hugely questionable, but it's still an interesting indicator of where we are.

20 hours ago, Teedy Kay said:

If Labour don't jump on a second referendum their fucking idiotic. 

Diane Abbott is all over it, she's decided  “supporting a people’s vote strongly now because it’s the right thing to do and it’s the democratic thing to do”, or to put it another way she's cottoned on to the idea it's a vote winner.

Just don't let her try and count the votes.