Brexit

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Tell you what, Peterborough's become an absolute fucking circus the past few weeks due to the upcoming by-election.  Honestly, you'd think we held the balance of power for the whole free world, we've had Boris and Jezza here in recent weeks, Farage may as well buy a fucking flat here, there's umpteen candidates, most of whom from parties I've never fucking heard of, most of whom are probably running purely in hope of getting their picture in the paper, such is the coverage this thing is getting.  It's bollocks.

That said, some world class shithousing from the Brexit Party campaigners today, peddling their little flag giveaways en masse into the hands of Eastern European toddlers.

Unrelated, kind of.  But I'm betting I can guess the political affiliation of the bloke in MacDonalds next to me at lunchtime who asked over the counter if those were his "Big Chips".

Edited by John Matrix

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

Unrelated kind of.  But I'm betting I can guess the political affiliation of the bloke in MacDonalds next to me at lunchtime who asked over the counter if those were his "Big Chips".

It's all a conspiracy by Big Chips, mate.

• Paid Members
On 6/3/2019 at 2:29 PM, John Matrix said:

That said, some world class shithousing from the Brexit Party campaigners today, peddling their little flag giveaways en masse into the hands of Eastern European toddlers.

Really starting to get on my tits this now.  The more I think about my post earlier this week, the more I've gone from chuckling at how preposterous it is to outright fucking angry.  

So far this week, they've plastered the former council HQ in the city centre with advertising banners, even though the property is fenced off having been sold for development into flats.

Farage and Widdicomb have been here twice in THREE rallies held at the cities major theatres, and today, the homepage of our local newspaper looks like this...

D8TtVPMU8AAAt1U.jpg

Their candidate....THE SECRET FUCKING MILLIONAIRE.  They are buying this election, and it fucking stinks.

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, hallicks said:

So, Labour wins the Peterborough by-election, by 600-odd votes. Farage is still claiming it as a win, despite it being a leave constituency. I'm glad they didn't actually win, the fallout would have been unbearable. 

Was very surprised to wake up to that result, I'll be honest.  

After the Fiona Onasanya debacle, when the by-election was announced, I was convinced that Tories could have fielded a fucking teaspoon and still romped home - this was just prior to their since complete implosion - and then, with revelations this week that Forbes has liked anti-Semitic content on social media, I mean fuck, if your a Labour candidate, that's surely the first thing you make sure you don't slip up on at the minute, I thought, given local sentiment (I think we were one of the biggest leave voting cities in the referendum) and the sheer cash that the Brexit Party have thrown at the campaign, referenced above - and the sheer amount of cash the BP had thrown at their campaign (incidentally, I went on to discover that the now fenced off, ex-local authority building which as of this morning was still displaying VOTE BREXIT PARTY banners and was recently sold to a consortium for half a million quid less than the asking price, consisted of none other than Mike Green himself), that the result would be a foregone conclusion.

That said, it's a bitter sweet result for me, because whilst I think nationally, it's probably for the best, I remain utterly unconvinced by the candidate - I know it was 4am or something silly and a long night, but her interviews thus far have done little to convince me she has anything about her whatsoever.

There was a massive postal vote for last night though, which has been attributed to the swing, catching the press off guard etc, to which I couldn't help but chuckle at a BP spokesman's response today, which was effectively that Labour had focused their campaign on the areas of the city with a dense Pakistani population, and, well...see for yourself...

D8cY7H9W4AAW_lw.jpg:large

I'm so, SO glad that the Brexit Party haven't won this.  Not because of my stance on Europe, because I'm still not sure I have one such is all the white noise and muddled facts, but because every time I see anything about them, they are so woefully exposed as little more than, to quote Mr Schwarzenegger "A bunch of low foreheads who think they can change the world with dreams and talk.

Honestly, fuck this lot.  

Exhibit A...

"You can't knock my views just because you do this full time and have properly researched it..."

"Yeah, but when we're out, we can do what we want...."

"Can you think of an instance where the EU has insisted on something for our education system that we've acted upon..."

Edited by John Matrix

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

D8cY7H9W4AAW_lw.jpg:large

That their ethnicity is even being discussed as a factor is the kind of thing that brings people to believe that Brexit is being driven by racists. If they voted, it means they're British citizens; their ethnicity doesn't enter into it.

My one bedroom flat has 4 people registered to vote. It’s not my fault that previous tenants haven’t updated their details or that the council haven’t updated their records despite me telling them every year. 

Farage was at the count last night as he thought they’d won, then when he realised they hadn’t he hid in the bogs and left via a side door while the results were announced. Must be nice for their candidate knowing their leader was there to support them and not just be there to take the plaudits for them winning. 

This is an embarrassing loss for the Brexit party - traditionally protest parties do extremely well in byelections and Brexit Party are the protest party du jour.  Coupled with the scandal surrounding the previous MP, they won't get a better opportunity to get an MP than this.

And bear in mind that during a General Election, they won't be able to target all their resources on one seat like they have done this week.

By making so much of this opportunity, and then blowing it, they've done serious damage to their future election prospects.  And so it has always been with Farage - he never speaks to a large enough cross-section of the voting public to get elected (or someone else elected) to Parliament.

Incidentally, I reckon Trump slavering over breaking up the NHS after Brexit probably put a fair few voters off.  Nice one King Mierdas.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

I don't know whether this would warrant it's own thread or not as it's specific to the Tory leadership contest, but what are peoples thoughts on Rory Stewart?  I'm really starting to warm to the bloke.  Might simply be because he doesn't have the stench of a Johnson or Gove, isn't full of piss and vinegar like Raab or Hancock, and I don't think he has a cats chance in hell of getting anyway in the contest, nor am I a Tory supporter, but I can add him to the minute list of ones that resemble human beings (if not aesthetically in his case!)

Sort of waiting for someone to flash me up a hastily photoshopped 'Voted against benders and blacks' FACT, but as a relative newcomer as far as paying attention goes, it seems to me the he unfortunately seems to lack as much in terms of dynamism and personality as he does baggage and controversy, so of course he's destined to slip away into obscurity once the media circus comes to an end.

4 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

what are peoples thoughts on Rory Stewart?

He is a cunt, might not be a bigger cunt than some of the other contenders but he is still a tory and we can't overlook this fact as it makes him a cunt.  One who pretends to hold a phone at arms length as well.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

He is a cunt, might not be a bigger cunt than some of the other contenders but he is still a tory and we can't overlook this fact as it makes him a cunt.  One who pretends to hold a phone at arms length as well.

It's kind of why I ask, because I'm only accessing like bite-sized info, so I like to do my homework and resist my brains urge to play along.  In my mind, he's like a sort of anti Boris in that there's a definite and possibly intentional buffoonery (if that's even a word) but without the (to my knowledge, or I'd have expected to have seen it plastered everywhere before now) history of calling people bum-boys and piccaninies.  

Re the phone thing, I can let that slide on account of this glorious response.

Edited by John Matrix