Top Wrestling Twitter

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I don't know at what point it became a work, if it ever wasn't.

The only stage missing in that is that Brookes having a moan started on the Schadenfreude Twitch stream, his only Tweet after the fact was fairly apologetic, just saying that Progress has changed and it's not what it used to be. Glen kicked off about it, Brookes fired back, Cara replied wanting a match with Brookes, at which point it was now fairly obviously a work.

In terms of why it makes PROGRESS look bad - Brookes is an incredibly popular talent, about to leave the country for an extended period, so one of the owners of PROGRESS getting into a slagging match with him on social media isn't a good look. 

My main objection is that the show is in Cardiff, and PROGRESS tends to draw fans who are prepared to travel. By leaving it this late to announce the match, they've potentially priced a lot of fans out of being able to afford to attend that show, as if Brookes, or Brookes vs. Noir, would have been a draw to fans in, say, London or Manchester, they're not left at the end of January, a couple of days before payday, with the risk of the show selling out before they get paid, and train tickets costing around £50 from London or £80 from Manchester. 
As a rule, if you're going to do a "worked shoot", working people into thinking that a well-liked top star isn't going to be at your show isn't the way to go about it.

And just in general, it's not a good use of your untested babyface champion, who still probably has a lot to prove for a lot of fans, to book their first defence against one of the most popular guys on the scene in his farewell show.

They've done a WWE and worked an angle that positions the company itself as the heel, and treats the fans with contempt. It's no great scandal, just another example of how out of touch they've become.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

Is that it? I saw some reactions on Twitter last night & assumed Progress had actually done something bad.

Fucking Britwres.

Chris Brookes, arguably the most popular BritWres babyface in the country (well, until he leaves for Japan), being put up against PROGRESS's newly crowned babyface champion Cara Noir at the very last minute is very fucking dumb and worth most of the chagrin that PROGRESS are getting.

They've show a complete ineptitude in booking babyface champions, as most of them are forced to turn heel soon after winning the strap and end up being afterthoughts, and it's usually because they're put up against fellow fan faves and the fans are forced to choose.

PROGRESS have repeated the exact same mistake again, and whether it was done last minute due to Brooke's comments or something planned in advance, it's a giant misfire for their 100% white meat underdog babyface champion to go up against Chris fucking Brookes in his very first title defense.

• Paid Members

But ultimately it's still just 'fans' moaning because they don't like the booking. They've not screwed anyone over or 'killed British wrestling' as I saw some fuckwit post on twitter. Just provided a main event some people don't like. I feel a sense of proportion is missing here.

Edit - Then again I'm not a massive fan & am just observing from the outside. I realise a lot of their fans are mega-invested so maybe if I cared I'd feel differently?

Edited by Dead Mike

• Paid Members

The general vibe that I got from it all, at least on my timeline, is PROGRESS making silly booking choices again after a well-received show and some new-founded optimism in the company that's not been seen for a long while.

Whilst bring in Brookes to face Cara and all the worked-shoot Twitter beef buffoonery is hilariously bad, it's not a decision that's going to kill off BritWres. It'll kill some or even most of the momentum and good will that PROGRESS gained from their last show, but BritWres and PROGRESS are still going to be in the same status-quo that they were in before all this Brooke/PROGRESS/Cara drama kicked off.

• Paid Members

"killed British wrestling" is, for most of us, just a running joke at this point. No one is seriously suggesting that this match has killed British wrestling, though a few people do legitimately accuse Progress in general of it for having got into bed with WWE.

It's not the Progress fans that are mega-invested that's the issue here - I assume, I'm not in the Facebook group any more - most of them are laughing it up as "lol, you got worked" or defending it, it's people on the fence who might have gone to this show if Chris Brookes had been announced with more than a couple of days notice, and people (in my view rightly) pointing out that a daft worked shoot angle that lasted all of a couple of hours isn't a very good way at ensuring your fans' support and trust, or of selling a match which, frankly, could be sold with two lines of text.

I don't follow PROGRESS enough for my main concern to be the damage it does to Noir's credibility - though I'm a big Cara Noir fan, so that is frustrating - it's the timing of it. If anyone was in two minds about going when the show was announced, but now wants to go because Brookes has been announced, they're going to have to pay considerably more if they're coming from outside of Cardiff.

Edited by BomberPat

Moxley Kissing Suzuki on the forehead whilst being choked is probably my highlight of the weekend.

Plus you can hear Taguchi’s theme music playing in the background which makes it even more hilarious.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

So, @mrlariato (AKA LARIATOOOOO on twitter), who posts a lot of wrestling gifs, has been suspended by Twitter due to Fite TV claiming copyright over his NJPW gifs. This guy's been one of the better accounts for actually drawing fans in to learn about new stuff. Might be worth putting pressure on Fite TV if you're on Twitter.