Chippy Tea

Onyx2

2 hours ago, Statto said:

What's everyone's thoughts on reheated chippy chips?

Ended up getting a chippy tea on Friday (this thread is doing wonders for chip shop proprietors up and down the country, I think) and while I polished all mine off, the wife only had about 50% of her chips. She was about to chuck them but I salvaged them with the intention of reheating for chip butties before football yesterday (which I did). At the time she seemed disgusted by the suggestion, but come yesterday afternoon was desperate for a bite of my sarnie.

For me, reheated chippy chips is a really nostalgic smell/taste. My old man was a long distance lorry driver and we invariably had chippy tea on Friday nights - but because he got home late from work, his were often reheated under the grill (I did mine in the oven yesterday, FWIW) and he'd often let us have a chip or two, so reheating them seems perfectly normal to me. The missus had apparently never heard of such a thing.

So yeah, is it an abnormal thing to do, generally?

I love a reheated chip butty. Got to be done in the oven too. 

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Lads lads lads. I'll be in Barry Island tomorrow. We have a fair Welsh contingent here, is one of the fish and chip shops better than the other?

Little look on Trip Advisor and O'Shea's is recommended.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Statto said:

What's everyone's thoughts on reheated chippy chips?

Ended up getting a chippy tea on Friday (this thread is doing wonders for chip shop proprietors up and down the country, I think) and while I polished all mine off, the wife only had about 50% of her chips. She was about to chuck them but I salvaged them with the intention of reheating for chip butties before football yesterday (which I did). At the time she seemed disgusted by the suggestion, but come yesterday afternoon was desperate for a bite of my sarnie.

For me, reheated chippy chips is a really nostalgic smell/taste. My old man was a long distance lorry driver and we invariably had chippy tea on Friday nights - but because he got home late from work, his were often reheated under the grill (I did mine in the oven yesterday, FWIW) and he'd often let us have a chip or two, so reheating them seems perfectly normal to me. The missus had apparently never heard of such a thing.

So yeah, is it an abnormal thing to do, generally?

Many years ago, just after we got married, we had a chippy tea.  As usual, being a woman, after eating a third, she was full.  Her look of horror as I put her chips on an oven tray “for later” will never be forgotten.  “Tramp” was the name that was hurled at me every time I did this until about 3 years later.  She tried a couple.  Never looked back since.

• Paid Members
On 8/26/2018 at 8:50 PM, johnnyboy said:

Jumbo sausage, chicken and mushroom pie, plus a regular chips with a smattering of curry sauce.  It would have been a sausage in batter and chips but my children had the last two.  The pie was to ease the pain.

What were the chips like? They look good. Where did you get them from? The closest chippy to us is ok, but the chips aren't up to much.

• Paid Members

Looks great, Onyx2. Not sure about the cardboard container though. Straight-up old school paper is the only way to go. Don't even get me started on polystyrene - absolute abomination. 😂

Edited by Chunk